Quantcast

spin classes

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
at my gym they have spin classes and its included in the membership so i figured id give it a try.
what do you do about tension? i noticed the tenion dials on the bikes, and i think ive seen a class and the intsructor tells u to stand and increase tension or whatever. how do u know what tension to start at and what increments to go up or down?

what do spin classes help for? will in help my sprinting and endurance for dh?

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Spin classes are great. You'll figure out the tension after a few more classes. You can choose to follow the instructors lead and stay with the class program or do your own thing. Sometimes I go in and do 3-4 10min climing intervals where I crank the tension way up and stand for the whole climb. Then sit and rest for a few mins and repeat. Other times I'll just sit and spin smoothly for the whole class. It's a great way to get a good workout in a short amount of time. But because you're stationary you can't expect to go more than 1.5hrs because you'll sweat like a pig.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Several of the downhillers on our team are spinning this winter. Myself included (well now that I am bed-ridden that will have to wait). As for setting the tension, basically our coach had us sit there for 15 mins spinning and an even cadence, if you felt like your legs were moving to fast, turn the tension up slightly, if you felt like you were straining to keep going turn it down. Get to a base where you can spin forever without your legs getting tired. That is where you start from, your base. Now when the instructor says increase tension usually they will tell you a level to go to, off the top of my head I can't remember the levels but I believe a quarter turn on the tension on our bikes was one level, it depends on the bike though. You also will get a feel for this on your own. Sometimes when the instructor told me to go up 2 I went up 3 because I felt like I was spinning too fast or not getting a workout, but don't push yourself, they will kick your butt eventually, believe me!

Good luck and enjoy the training!

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
thanks, im gonna check it out after the holidays. i think im gonna be the only young kid in the class. everyone else is old

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yes, easy to figure out. Some instrcutors really know their stuff, ,others are just lame. Bewear the stand and grind: we have a couple of leaders who want you to keep the tension really high and grrriiiinnd... horrbile for the knees.

My big complaint is when the music sucks. Ifyou have a hrm that's a good thing to use too, just to see where you are at and not work too hard.

geargrr.