Quantcast

Spinning instructor kicked my butt

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Saturday was the first time I joined a class with Paul as the instructor. MBC had him before and warned me. The guy just completely kicked my ass. I couldn't keep up the pace at all. Problem is, I tried to keep up too much, and I think I hyperextented my knee in the process. You know, I see a guy pedal like this guy does, and it makes me wonder how the heck I can compete in a race against guys like this. I'm going to get DESTROYED! :(

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No, no, no, don't think like that! Besides, pedal speed will only get some people so far. You'll do fine, just keep up the work and you'll be matching his pace in no time at all!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
No, no, no, don't think like that! Besides, pedal speed will only get some people so far. You'll do fine, just keep up the work and you'll be matching his pace in no time at all!
You know, when he cranks up the resistance for some slow, steep climbing, I do fine (I like those parts). But I could not keep up the high-cadence runs. I think that's where I hurt my knee.

Oh yeah, the two cramps I got did not help.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

You know, when he cranks up the resistance for some slow, steep climbing, I do fine (I like those parts). But I could not keep up the high-cadence runs. I think that's where I hurt my knee.

Oh yeah, the two cramps I got did not help.
I like to crank up the resistance too, I love to climb. Be careful though that you are having good form because it is easy to hurt your knees climbing if you are allowing them to bow out at all, make sure they are pretty much in line. I've noticed that a lot of people rock side to side when climbing on spin bikes and their knees are bowed way out.

Your leg speed will start to improve if you keep practicing.:thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

I like to crank up the resistance too, I love to climb. Be careful though that you are having good form because it is easy to hurt your knees climbing if you are allowing them to bow out at all, make sure they are pretty much in line. I've noticed that a lot of people rock side to side when climbing on spin bikes and their knees are bowed way out.

Your leg speed will start to improve if you keep practicing.:thumb:
Yeah, I try to be careful with form. During some of the runs, I sat my butt down because I knew I had horrible form. It tends to happen when you are exhausted. Everyone else in the class would rather bounce, bob, weave, and hang over the handlebars, rather than admit they are tired and sit. You get a better workout doing two minutes with good form, instead of four minutes with poor form. Less chance of injury too.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Yeah, I try to be careful with form. During some of the runs, I sat my butt down because I knew I had horrible form. It tends to happen when you are exhausted. Everyone else in the class would rather bounce, bob, weave, and hang over the handlebars, rather than admit they are tired and sit. You get a better workout doing two minutes with good form, instead of four minutes with poor form. Less chance of injury too.
Yes, my instructor is always yelling at everyone to not bounce, to keep their upper body still and just use their legs. If some of those people would just look in the mirrors that surround them they would see how much they are bouncing!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Yes, my instructor is always yelling at everyone to not bounce, to keep their upper body still and just use their legs. If some of those people would just look in the mirrors that surround them they would see how much they are bouncing!!
You know, instructors tell you beforehand that it's ok to sit if you're tired. Then when you get into a run and you can not keep up, they scream at you for sitting. "COME ON..GET UP!!! INTO THE TWO POSITION! I SEE PEOPLE SITTING!" So I just put my head down in shame and stay seated. Damn drill sergeants.

:D

And I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but someone during the last class farted. That's just wrong. It's a small, hot room, with no air circulation. I nearly gagged to death. Of course MBC didn't smell anything, so I am guessing it was the chick in front of me. :angryfire

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

You know, instructors tell you beforehand that it's ok to sit if you're tired. Then when you get into a run and you can not keep up, they scream at you for sitting. "COME ON..GET UP!!! INTO THE TWO POSITION! I SEE PEOPLE SITTING!" So I just put my head down in shame and stay seated. Damn drill sergeants.

:D

And I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but someone during the last class farted. That's just wrong. It's a small, hot room, with no air circulation. I nearly gagged to death. Of course MBC didn't smell anything, so I am guessing it was the chick in front of me. :angryfire
It was probably MBC!

My instructor is different, if we're doing a sitting sprint deal then she tells you to go 100% until you can't and then stand to recover or vice versa. Her class is pretty hardcore though and people are pretty self motivated, they don't like to cheat.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

I tell my classes the exact same thing.. USE YOUR LEGS.... dont bounce.. some people get it but some people just dont and those are the people that come week after week and still do the same thing so I just keep reminding them and even single them out sometimes (Nicely of course) but ultimatley it is up to them and some just dont get it. Oh well;)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by JOJO

I tell my classes the exact same thing.. USE YOUR LEGS.... dont bounce.. some people get it but some people just dont and those are the people that come week after week and still do the same thing so I just keep reminding them and even single them out sometimes (Nicely of course) but ultimatley it is up to them and some just dont get it. Oh well;)
JOJO, I think you should bring a yardstick and start beating your students who don't listen. :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo IAB, don't say stuff like you don't think you could keep up w/ guys like that while racing, you have your strong points and so do they. just work on that leg speed, it's vital man. good luck w/ the classes and racing.

nite rider

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Medford, MA
Spinning is def a kick ass workout that will get you in shape for the trails, however way too many people have very bad form (bouncing, improper seat/handlebar position.. etc). Spinning is not like being on a mt bike. The setup is completely different.

1. Your seat should be as far back as possible
2. Leg shouldn't hyperextend or underextend through your stroke
3. Your head must be kept up at all times!!!

sooooo many people drop their head while spinning. do you do that while you race also?? if so, you'll be struggling to breathe. keeping your head down blocks your air passage which ends up in you bonking.

Also, spinning is all hamstrings and little thighs/calfs. Your feet and back should be kept flat at all times and your pedal stroke should be smooth from right to left. People bounce because they are too close to the handlebars.. prop your ass back, ride right and you'll see results.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
actually your seat shouldn't be allllllll the way back nite rider. there is an exact spot where you should have your saddle to gain max strength through out your entire pedal stroke and will help your spin out big time. most good coaches and instructors should be able to set this up for you pretty quickly.

nite rider

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Medford, MA
I know it's not supposed to be allll the way back. I said as far back as possible.

Reason: You will have a sore lower back and neck if you are too close or too far away from the bars and you won't get a good pedal stroke.

My instructor is one of the best out there. He travels to NY and Cali to teach and was taught by Johnny G. I think he knows his stuff. :-)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by the BIG cheese
just how far did yall go/ how long
My intense spin class lasts an hour. I sometimes do an abbreviated class at other times when i can’t get outside. 30 to 45 minuets. Distance is not a concern in spinning it would be kind of neat to know though but my odometer is on the front tire and not the back so I don’t ever know.