Quantcast

spinning?????

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
I started spinning last fall because of a shoulder injury. I just started up again about a month ago after my shoulder healed enough after my surgery. It is definatly a way for me to do cardio indoors, which I hate. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how I can learn about the intervals and the timing of bringing your heart rate up and down, and all the stuff they do. Is there a book out there that I could get?? I think spinning is going to help me when I can get back on my rel bike, but I also like the sprinting, and time interval stuff for training. Any clues on how I can learn this stuff?

Originally posted by Sista Kreep
I started spinning last fall because of a shoulder injury. I just started up again about a month ago after my shoulder healed enough after my surgery. It is definatly a way for me to do cardio indoors, which I hate. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how I can learn about the intervals and the timing of bringing your heart rate up and down, and all the stuff they do. Is there a book out there that I could get?? I think spinning is going to help me when I can get back on my rel bike, but I also like the sprinting, and time interval stuff for training. Any clues on how I can learn this stuff?
I am the queen of the heart rate!!

Seriously though - get the Sally Edwards book - Heart Rate monitors for Indoor/Outdoor cyclists. AWESOME BOOK.

Also, there are a few HRM threads that will probably answer some questions.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

I am the queen of the heart rate!!

Seriously though - get the Sally Edwards book - Heart Rate monitors for Indoor/Outdoor cyclists. AWESOME BOOK.

Also, there are a few HRM threads that will probably answer some questions.
Ditto, that book helped me.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
just to fill y'all in.....heart rate isn't exactly the best way to train...:rolleyes: if ya got da dough to throw down try to get a power tap or something along that lines maybe a set of SRM cranks, anything that measures your wattage. see your heart rate can vary from day to day depending on hundreds of different variables so it's NEVER constant. that equals a **** load or nastiness when you go to train b/c you want your training to be as constant as possible. ever ridden at a certain pace and your hrt rate was 5-15 bpm higher then it usually is? every wondered why? well w/ wattage that won't happen. your wattage always stays constant, never changes well except for when you become stronger, and for that all you simply do is another test so you can redo your schdules and what not based off of your new results. check it out trust me it will make you much stronger then you could ever get from those heart rate books y'all are reading.

Originally posted by indieboy
just to fill y'all in.....heart rate isn't exactly the best way to train...:rolleyes: if ya got da dough to throw down try to get a power tap or something along that lines maybe a set of SRM cranks, anything that measures your wattage. see your heart rate can vary from day to day depending on hundreds of different variables so it's NEVER constant. that equals a **** load or nastiness when you go to train b/c you want your training to be as constant as possible. ever ridden at a certain pace and your hrt rate was 5-15 bpm higher then it usually is? every wondered why? well w/ wattage that won't happen. your wattage always stays constant, never changes well except for when you become stronger, and for that all you simply do is another test so you can redo your schdules and what not based off of your new results. check it out trust me it will make you much stronger then you could ever get from those heart rate books y'all are reading.
Hey Indie - first of all - can you speak english? I'm having a hard time reading your post.

So what is wattage?

When you learn to measure your heart rate (or more specifically YOUR body), you'll understand from day to day the variances - and unless you are overtraining, the variance will not be that high.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by indieboy
just to fill y'all in.....heart rate isn't exactly the best way to train...:rolleyes:
If you are trying to improve your cardio endurance, it sure as heck is. I've never heard of this "wattage" method of training. Please give me some references so I can read up on it.

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
I studied wattage in my last physics class, and I definatly do not just have money to waste or be frivilous with. I simply wanted a nice $15-$20 book that I could scroll through the pages and learn a bit. I'll go check out the book ya'll recomended. Thanks!!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

If you are trying to improve your cardio endurance, it sure as heck is. I've never heard of this "wattage" method of training. Please give me some references so I can read up on it.
Power output = wattage

It’s a new/old thing. My coach is building a rear wheel with a hub that measures wattage. He can download and get a graphical view of his workout through the entire program. It’s pretty neat. But once again it's just a different style of training.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ton understands what i'm talking about. your power output is the BEST way to train, period the end.....basically how EVERY top pro you will ever hear of from now on trains, although do not get me wrong they are still using their heart rate, but it's being used in combination w/ their power output aka wattage. the main thing most coaches look at now when you do your AT testing w/ either an SRM crank set or something that measures wattage is your max output at AT. this determines how fast you climb. the lower the output the slower you climb...my max output at my AT is something like 230 watts at 187 bpm (my AT), i did my testing back at the end of december so the #'s have probably changed by a little bit but not much. still doing all my base work. i wasn't to pleased w/ my #'s but it is early in the year so i'm not to worried about it.

Sista Kreep

Chimp
Jan 30, 2002
northeast
Hey indie,
thanks again for any and all info you've thrown my way. i think my intentions are a bit different than you are thinking because i didn't really explain myself. my goal for checking into the dynamics of a spinning class is because i just wanted to improve my cardio a bit for the upcoming season and since i've been laid up from shoulder surgery for a few months. i don't race, but i like to attempt to keep up with all the men folk i ride with. this is a difficult task with my sheggs, or short legs, as my fellow riders like to refer to my little legs. i do like keeping in shape and am always striving to perform better. i figured if i could do a bit of perusing on heart rates or hte time interval thing they do in spin class it might help me out. i want to be outside on my bike ASAP so i want to learn how to give myself a spin class outside on my own new bike. i do appreciate your info though. have a good night!!!!!!!!:p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
short legs shouldn't hender you too much. i have quite the opposite problem....allllll legs n short torso. my frickin femuers are ultra long so i can throw it down in the saddle big time. and i understand keepin up w/ ppl ya want to....i try to keep up w/ all the local pro's....catchin up a lil bit, all of them keep saying it will be my time soon..*praying that they are right*