Quantcast

Spitfire, Scout, Troy, etc

Dec 3, 2007
Looking for a sturdy, mid travel bike to replace my aging Bottlerocket. This would be my "do it all" bike and would see mostly midwest trail riding, but also a fair amount of travel for some proper rowdiness like Copper Harbor/ Marquette MI, Pisgah, and at least one CO trip a year. Any monkeys own or have some ride time on any of these newer rigs.
Thanks.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got a Scout and I'm pretty happy with it. How rowdy are you talking for the rough stuff? It is a damn compentent little bike, but it really is only 5" so it can be daunting doing DH rock gardens and stuff, even with a 150mm fork on it.

Aside from really rough trails - which are rideable, just not super quick - I've been really impressed with the Scout for everything from shuttles to dirt jumps to trail riding to XC racing, enduro racing and a couple of big (66km/40 mile) trail days.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I've got a 2015 Spitfire (V2). I live and ride in Pisgah. The bike just slays. I've ridden it in Central NC a lot as well and have never felt over-biked there. Poppy, quick in turns, loose. It climbs well and you've got to actively try to enter the irresponsible zone to get the bike out of composure, but it is possible on the rougher trails. Farlow Gap and Pilot Rock in Pisgah for example, at full bore, the Spit feels at its limit. Nothing else in Pisgah makes me think twice. I find myself trying to focus on flow instead of plow when rock gardening. It's low and corners really well. Really can't say enough good stuff. The 2017s are even better, almost a pound lighter! And tweaked numbers - moar better geom. Very reasonably priced, adjustable geo, great company philosophy. Can't go wrong IMO.....

Oh, a complaint, water bottle mount is on the bottom of the down tube, so it's basically missing. That's my one gripe.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
All good bikes I would say: pedal efficient with some level of progressivness in their linkage and "modern" geometry.

I put my money on a Troy and should be able to ride it soon! There are not that many Devincis around here but lifetime warranty sounded good enough to me. :)

Many of my friends with bikes from Transition had their frames changed under some sort of warranty because of cracked welds or misaligned pivot... Transition seems nevertheless to be helpful when their frames fail.

I have also seen a few broken Spitfire through the years which were changed through warranty as well. Their later incarnation is lighter than before so I am not so sure where this is going to end...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've been riding a '16 Troy this year. Overall it's a damn good bike - progressive suspension, stiff, corners well. It's not a light frame, but you won't worry about it. I'm in between sizes and was planning on going up to a large for next year, but I got a good deal on a Spitfire which is coming next month. I have a buddy with a Scout that loves it, although he often says he wishes it had just a bit more travel.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Looking for a sturdy, mid travel bike to replace my aging Bottlerocket. This would be my "do it all" bike and would see mostly midwest trail riding, but also a fair amount of travel for some proper rowdiness like Copper Harbor/ Marquette MI, Pisgah, and at least one CO trip a year. Any monkeys own or have some ride time on any of these newer rigs.
Thanks.
My 5010 is perfect in marquette and copper harbor. Buddy of mine has a scout, I've ridden it, great bike also.

I think the 130-140 mm bikes are perfect for do all bikes, still efficient enough to XC on, but can handle most anything. If you plan to race more of the enduro type stuff I'd go longer travel, but if you want a great all around bike they're perfect in the midwest and still fun at the bike parks. (I've ridden my 5010 at Snowshoe as well as marquette and copper harbor)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have also seen a few broken Spitfire through the years which were changed through warranty as well. Their later incarnation is lighter than before so I am not so sure where this is going to end...
Should be noted that the "old" Spitfire had problems, but that was years ago. From the sounds of it Banshee replaced most of those frames. They warrantied mine, even though I was a little outside of the coverage period. I don't recall seeing a broken Spitfire of the current version..

I'd say Spitfire, but I'm biased and haven't ridden the others. They all look fun.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Have several buddies who owned Troy,s they all own Spartan,s or another model of bike now .

Chatted with Banshee as of last week about the Spitfire as it,s one of the few 26" standouts still .

I did mention the fact that a bottle mounted inside the frame that a rider can access while pedaling was a great idea and Keith agreed .

The redesigned tubing on the 2017 Banshee,s reeled me in again the new Spitfire and Prime look amazing .

One thing I will say about the Troy and other Devinci,s made in aluminum is that they are Made in Canada !! and are a killer deal for the price frame wise .

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My Spitfire rips. I would like to try a Patrol, but I'm super stoked on how good my Spitfire is. It really does not feel like 140mm bike. IMO it doesn't have the plush squish feel. I like it. Kind of rides like a hard tail that takes the harshness off.

I'm a Banshee fanboi. Been on my Legend 5 years and never had a problem. Instantly felt comfortable. Just like on the Spitty.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I have a Norco Sight Carbon and it is a perfect Midwest bike. It's 150/140 and 26lbs with 2.35 tires, 800 bars, etc.

Corners and jumps better than my last downhill bike and is enjoyable on xc unless I'm hanging out with a fast crowd on hardtails.

Their dealer network currently sucks around here but it's improving pretty quick.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Have several buddies who owned Troy,s they all own Spartan,s or another model of bike now .

Chatted with Banshee as of last week about the Spitfire as it,s one of the few 26" standouts still .

I did mention the fact that a bottle mounted inside the frame that a rider can access while pedaling was a great idea and Keith agreed .

The redesigned tubing on the 2017 Banshee,s reeled me in again the new Spitfire and Prime look amazing .

One thing I will say about the Troy and other Devinci,s made in aluminum is that they are Made in Canada !! and are a killer deal for the price frame wise .
It's interesting if he agreed on inside frame water bottle mount they didn't do it for 2017?

and agreed, the new tubing is much seks. If I change frames in the next bit I think I'll be upping travel a bit and slacking head angles - Rune is on the top of my list.

Really grainy photo from a little self-filming I played around with yesterday:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One of my riding buddy on the second Spitfire V2 he broke
View attachment 123987
That's honestly the first one I've seen..interesting! Perhaps it is all the Garmin's fault on the stem. :brows:

I don't think it'd be something to worry about. I have in no way been easy on my Spitfire and don't hold back on it just because its a trail bike. I'm fat too, so its not an easy ride for it down the hills. :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

It's interesting if he agreed on inside frame water bottle mount they didn't do it for 2017?

and agreed, the new tubing is much seks. If I change frames in the next bit I think I'll be upping travel a bit and slacking head angles - Rune is on the top of my list.
I don't really need a new bike. But I'm getting the itch. I'm especially curious about "modern" geometry. I'm on a 2013 Mojo HD, still on 26" wheels, and by all accounts its pretty short. Most of my riding is up and down technical old school trails, so pedaling is important, but where I have the most fun is on the downs, so I don't want to give that up. I like the idea of getting a frame to swap over parts from my current bike, and then "upgrading" to 650b as parts break/wear out. or not. if Maxxis follows through on it's promise to deliver rear tires in 26" DD casing, then I don't see a need to get the bigger wheels.

Anyways, these Banshees seem almost right up my alley. I must profess that there are two things I'd like that I don't have currently: in-the-frame bottle mounts, and ISCG tabs. (the first because I often only do 1.5 hour rides, and one water bottle would be enough I think, and the second because I'd like to lose the bash-ring, it looks so early 2000s!)

Where did you guys get information on the 2017 Banshees? I was on their site and didn't see anything?

And also, why opt for a Spitfire over a Rune? geometry seems pretty close, and wouldn't that extra 20mm of travel come in handy?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't really need a new bike. But I'm getting the itch. I'm especially curious about "modern" geometry. I'm on a 2013 Mojo HD, still on 26" wheels, and by all accounts its pretty short. Most of my riding is up and down technical old school trails, so pedaling is important, but where I have the most fun is on the downs, so I don't want to give that up. I like the idea of getting a frame to swap over parts from my current bike, and then "upgrading" to 650b as parts break/wear out. or not. if Maxxis follows through on it's promise to deliver rear tires in 26" DD casing, then I don't see a need to get the bigger wheels.

Anyways, these Banshees seem almost right up my alley. I must profess that there are two things I'd like that I don't have currently: in-the-frame bottle mounts, and ISCG tabs. (the first because I often only do 1.5 hour rides, and one water bottle would be enough I think, and the second because I'd like to lose the bash-ring, it looks so early 2000s!)

Where did you guys get information on the 2017 Banshees? I was on their site and didn't see anything?

And also, why opt for a Spitfire over a Rune? geometry seems pretty close, and wouldn't that extra 20mm of travel come in handy?
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/EUROBIKE-2017-Enduro-and-Trail-Bikes,10433/2017-Banshee-Updates,109504/sspomer,2

For your Ottawa area, which I assume is ROX and more ROX, the Rune might be a better choice. All depends on your preference and riding though, I guess. Around this area, trails are generally pretty smooth with roots, not much chunk but TONS of speed. Spitfire fits that almost perfectly. I had a 160mm Fox 36 on it with 26" wheels which was amazing on the downhills, now I have a 150mm Fox 36 with 27.5 wheels and its pretty much the same. Still want to pop the fork up though..

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack

Ummmm they all have ISCG tabs. What you talkin bout?

And ya Spit vs Rune is a very common question. If you would rather plow than flow, Rune. Want to be a bit more efficient on climbs and poppy? Spitfire. It's basically where do you want your bias?

Check the MTBR Banshee forum. Huge thread with all kinds of info on 2017s.

Dec 3, 2007
I've got a Scout and I'm pretty happy with it. How rowdy are you talking for the rough stuff? It is a damn compentent little bike, but it really is only 5" so it can be daunting doing DH rock gardens and stuff, even with a 150mm fork on it.

Aside from really rough trails - which are rideable, just not super quick - I've been really impressed with the Scout for everything from shuttles to dirt jumps to trail riding to XC racing, enduro racing and a couple of big (66km/40 mile) trail days.
I should have been more specific with my "rowdiness" comment. Super rough, chunky stuff isn't really my thing. I'll ride whatever is in front of me, but I prefer hitting big drops and gaps to charging rock gardens.

My 5010 is perfect in marquette and copper harbor. Buddy of mine has a scout, I've ridden it, great bike also.

I think the 130-140 mm bikes are perfect for do all bikes, still efficient enough to XC on, but can handle most anything. If you plan to race more of the enduro type stuff I'd go longer travel, but if you want a great all around bike they're perfect in the midwest and still fun at the bike parks. (I've ridden my 5010 at Snowshoe as well as marquette and copper harbor)
Aluminum 5010 was on the list because the geo and sizing are spot on, but after seeing one in person the frame didn't look all that robust. The lifetime warranty offsets that to some degree I suppose, but I'd rather be on something I don't have to worry about when the trail features get big, e.g. Hemi, Bertha, Doug's Trail/ Back 9 or whatever they're calling that one these days.

Spitfire is at the top of the list so far. Pretty burly, super adjustable, and affordable. Wish it had a bit more stack on the large frame, but that's a minor complaint.
Scout is a little short on travel, but seems to be a fairly stout frame. Transition has been really good to me over the years and I would have no problem giving them my money.
The Troy looks great on paper, but actually test riding one will be tough. Also press fit BB and boost spacing sucks.
Kona Process 134 is an option as well, but press fit BB and so so pedaling performance puts it further down the list.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know they're not boutique, but the 2017 Giant Trances are longer, slacker and stiffer than previous models and the spec list in awesome. They also have a lifetime warranty (at least in Oz) which makes them very appealing - you could get a carbon for the cost of an aluminium bike from most other manufacturers.

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Oh yeah it will do that fine haha. I've not broken mine, and I've come up short on more jumps than I'm willing to admit to here.

I know they're not boutique, but the 2017 Giant Trances are longer, slacker and stiffer than previous models and the spec list in awesome. They also have a lifetime warranty (at least in Oz) which makes them very appealing - you could get a carbon for the cost of an aluminium bike from most other manufacturers.
Trance definitely is rad. The Reign too. Only thing sub-optimal on those bikes is the BB92 nonsense. Other than that, BOING! Much excite. The Reign kinematics even get the @Udi seal of approval (along with the Rune if I recall).

$2700 for frame/shock is a deal for a crabong frame, admitted, but the Banshee will be about $700 cheaper, or 25% cheaper, so not quiiiiite the same price.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

after a member on another forum posted a link to the 2017 Banshee images from a recent show , I contacted them thru FB and was chatting with Keith . so most of my information is directly from the source .

my choice for the Spitfire over the Rune is simple , the Rune is pretty much exactly what I currently ride . my Kona 167 is a great bike but at the end of the day it,s too parkish with the racked out head angle and fairly low BB .

I raced several 30+km enduro,s this past season and the bike is too much for me at the end of the day , so a lighter frame and less travel with more trail friendly geo and the ability to swap 90% of my parts and room to go 27.5" in the future suits my budget at this time . if I had the money I would build a 29" bike truthfully .

in regards to the Banshee web site I heard there is a new one being set up as they are going dealer direct for 2017 and the site will launch in the next week or 2 .

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Ummmm they all have ISCG tabs. What you talkin bout?

And ya Spit vs Rune is a very common question. If you would rather plow than flow, Rune. Want to be a bit more efficient on climbs and poppy? Spitfire. It's basically where do you want your bias?

Check the MTBR Banshee forum. Huge thread with all kinds of info on 2017s.

think he was referring to his current bike not having ISCG tabs

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

Really grainy photo from a little self-filming I played around with yesterday:

yeah we will see if they do anything about it ,it could be simply that no one really brought it up , and with one person doing the main designing it,s easy to follow old habits .

the guys at GG nailed it with their water bottle set-up on the new Trail Pistol , so I hope others will see the need and make the changes down the road it should be a standard for a trail bike or enduro race bike IMO .

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
in regards to the Banshee web site I heard there is a new one being set up as they are going dealer direct for 2017 and the site will launch in the next week or 2 .
Sweet.... Hopefully this means that have all the spare parts and what not available too. The Banshee dealers listed on their site for this area were freaking useless when I needed to get new drop outs and axle. Luckily I was able to abort that effort and thanks to someone here or on MTBR did a straight up swap for them.

Dec 3, 2007
Oh yeah it will do that fine haha. I've not broken mine, and I've come up short on more jumps than I'm willing to admit to here.

Planning on doing frame only so bang for the buck on the Giant, or any of the big guys for that matter, isn't that great. Not a fan of the longer seat tube and slack-ish STA either. Good looking bikes though.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Planning on doing frame only so bang for the buck on the Giant, or any of the big guys for that matter, isn't that great. Not a fan of the longer seat tube and slack-ish STA either. Good looking bikes though.
Ah yep fair point. I think Udi pointed out that the SA on the Reign and Trance are actually pretty similar to the Scout and Patrol due to measurement inconsistencies but I couldn't say for sure.

I'm still very happy with my Scout for what I use it for, although I'd like it to shed some weight if I could find a way. With Maxxis DD Aggressor rear and an Exo Minion on the front it weighs 14kg (31lbs). I'm very tempted by the carbon Scout frame but the pricing is a bit crazy here ($4850AUD/$3600USD) due to customs etc. I might look into a carbon wheelset in the near future but I can't find anywhere else to bring the weight down drastically without compromising the no-hassle ride I'm going for.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
longer seat tube and slack-ish STA either. Good looking bikes though.
Giant's STA isn't slacker like toodles said, it's identical to the Transition bikes (put 'em next to each other). The way this is measured for geo charts is unfortunately very misleading and can't be compared directly. The Rune/Spitfire are (in real life) a touch steeper than those bikes though.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these options, if they've fixed the breakage issues on the Spitfire (I saw a couple go here too, but it was the model before the latest) then it's probably a good bet since you seem to be leaning towards it anyway. I've always enjoyed those bikes when I've ridden them. The Scout is burly too, but maybe if you're worried about the travel you should consider the Patrol for comparison instead because the frame weights are very close.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
That's honestly the first one I've seen..interesting! Perhaps it is all the Garmin's fault on the stem. :brows:

I don't think it'd be something to worry about. I have in no way been easy on my Spitfire and don't hold back on it just because its a trail bike. I'm fat too, so its not an easy ride for it down the hills. :rofl:
Yeah, he uses a garmin, drinks beer and likes hucking to flat. I am not sure which one is most likely to cause failure...?

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
chatted with the US rep for Banshee today via email , the Spitfire is $1849.00USD frame and Monarch PLUS RC3 shock and a Banshee head set . think I will pull the trigger once I chat more with my LBS . this bike allows me to swap my 26" stuff over and have a lighter frame so I am happy . long live 26"!!!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If you're ok with a '16 (beefier frame) you can get one with a Monarch (non-plus) for $1500 from Dirt Merchant. Just ordered one last week. You can also get Knolly Endorphins for $1400 right now.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That price is pretty good and its cool to see that the price hasn't creeped up too much over the years. When I purchased my V1 Spitfire frame with shock way back when, it was $1500. Pretty cool when you think about the V2 having more shock options, different drop out options etc etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sweet.... Hopefully this means that have all the spare parts and what not available too. The Banshee dealers listed on their site for this area were freaking useless when I needed to get new drop outs and axle. Luckily I was able to abort that effort and thanks to someone here or on MTBR did a straight up swap for them.
i spoke with them over email, and softgoods are in the works too.

also, eff you all for this thread! love my spitfire ('15 V2), and knowing the new ones are so much lighter...

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
i spoke with them over email, and softgoods are in the works too.

also, eff you all for this thread! love my spitfire ('15 V2), and knowing the new ones are so much lighter...
...hopefully. Runes landing in Urp don't make me feel too cozy. Someone been pencil whipping their Jenny Craig forms? Or am I lost? 7.5lbs for a 2017 Medium, no shock. Seems very much on par with the 2016 frames.

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Not to derail too much but today you can get an Evil Insurgent frame with Monarch+ for $1950 on World Wide Cyclery. cybermonday15 coupon code, 15% off the $2300 sale price, wowza.

If we haven't converted you all to Banshee whores yet! Muhahahaha.

Dec 3, 2007
If you're ok with a '16 (beefier frame) you can get one with a Monarch (non-plus) for $1500 from Dirt Merchant. Just ordered one last week. You can also get Knolly Endorphins for $1400 right now.
Actually have a large Spitfire sans shock in my cart. After reading your first post about getting yours next month, wondering if Dirt Merchant gave you a delivery eta.

Anybody running a coil on their Spitty? I have a DHX RC4 from the BR in the correct size. Thoughts on the Fox SLS and CC VALT springs to save a little weight.