Quantcast

Spitfire, Scout, Troy, etc

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Does anyone even make a coil non-dh fork any more?
I said in another thread that with the advancements in materials and manufacturing ALL the other components (csu, lowers, springs, etc) Fox or RS could get a coil fork down to 4.5lbs or so. Not saying that they'd sell, but ....

Marz 350 NCR Ti, bro!

(I have the air version...)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Does somebody have experience of both 11-6 and Float X2? possibly on the same bike....
Yes, I ran them both on my Knolly. Both were tuned for that frame.

Float X2
  • Very use-able adjusters, easy to fine tune
  • Blew through the mid-stroke, even completely packed with spacers. I could compensate by dialing the HSC way up, but it didn't feel great. A firmer tune of the base valve may solve the issue. I weigh 185 out of the shower right now, so while I'm running heavy I'm not in clyde territory.
11-6
  • Tracks the ground really really well and mutes trail chatter better then any other shock I've tried
  • Not as lively as the X2 can be

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Apparently you can buy one in Asia but they decided not to sell them in North America.
Now Trump has a dilemma. While the fork would look good on his bike hanging off the wall in his place it is not made in 'Murica.

Lazoup

Chimp
Mar 24, 2015
Denver, CO
Marz 350 NCR Ti, bro!

(I have the air version...)
I have a NCR Ti with the stanchions and lowers all messed up, but the insides are good if you want ;)

Or, other solution, you contact CrConception in France, and he can make a spring for your Pike or Lyrik, rated for your weight.

Lazoup

Chimp
Mar 24, 2015
Denver, CO
I know they are quite popular in France. I had one but I'm getting rid of my Pike, so it's out of it now. Honestly, that was a nice fork with that, barely heavier. For fun trail riding like intended in that thread, that was a blast !

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks for the feedback DJ!

Aren't spacers affecting mostly the end-stroke?
Did you try no spacer and more pressure as well?
Mostly, but they still effect the mid-stroke to some extent. I ran less spacers/higher pressure as well, but that resulted in having to run a much stiffer setup that sacrificed small bump (we're talking ~20% rear sag, where I'd been aiming for 30%). In the end I found that 6 spacers was optimal (that size holds up to 7). I think this is more about the base tune that Knolly chose rather the shock, as I've similar comments from other Knolly owners but not necessarily from owners of other brands of frames.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It would be interesting to see the relationship between the ability to drive a 5 speed and the ability to (properly) ride a bike.

If my intuition is correct, jimmydean sucks at bikes :thumb:
Awe man, one thing I miss about manual shifting is dumping some gears right before a corner and punching it at the apex. This combined with the fact that I can manage to get pulled over regularly in an aerodynamically challenged Honda Element is why I should never own a sports car. I wouldn't make it very far off the lot before getting a speeding ticket.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Considering my grand mother only drives manual transmission, I would say none !
#outlier :thumb:

And yeah, my G-ma drove a 3 on the tree back in day, but there weren't many other options in the pre-stache JBP days. To see a slush box in a modern car is pretty rare here in freedom land.

Btw, @AngryMetalsmith , my Element was a 5 speed too...Super miss that sled, even if it did have the cD of a Kenmore.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I heard coil. Massive improvement to my tiny wheelers humpy bumpy filtering abilities

Installed a Works Components -1° headset two days ago, saddle is still in legacy setting. 0m done on it so far, 3 weeks young second child is to blame.

Also, of course I drive a 6-spd manual. And it's a car engine not a heating oil self combusting tractor engine. :happydance:

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Since this thread went from normal bicycle discussions to a Banshee orgy to a Coil Shock FTMFW festival with a little bit a Megajizz sprinkled throughout, I thought this would be an appropriate place to say....

Banshee 2017 website is live. Photos, numbers, :rimshot::rockout::rockout::rimshot:

www.BansheeBikes.com

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
yeah 150mm 29r
Would there be a potential undesirable interaction between the downtube and the wheel upon maxxx fork compression? Likewise, would you also run the risk of clipping toes with the front wheel when X'ing up?

Although I want to say @gemini2k put a 29'r hoop on his "custom" Megajizz. (notice how I discreetly slipped the Megajizz back into the conversation?)