Quantcast

Spitfire, Scout, Troy, etc

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Mostly, but they still effect the mid-stroke to some extent. I ran less spacers/higher pressure as well, but that resulted in having to run a much stiffer setup that sacrificed small bump (we're talking ~20% rear sag, where I'd been aiming for 30%). In the end I found that 6 spacers was optimal (that size holds up to 7). I think this is more about the base tune that Knolly chose rather the shock, as I've similar comments from other Knolly owners but not necessarily from owners of other brands of frames.
I just got my X2 back from Fox post recall (took 5 business days). I don't know if they changed the valving (they asked for my weight and frame info before I sent it in) or just fixed something that had been off, but the mid-stroke issue I had before is gone. I'm able to run 30psi less then I was before, which puts me in the range of Knolly's recommended PSI for my weight. Now I have a tough call, I need to sell a shock with my old frame and need to decide between the ElevenSix and the X2.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just got my X2 back from Fox post recall (took 5 business days). I don't know if they changed the valving (they asked for my weight and frame info before I sent it in) or just fixed something that had been off, but the mid-stroke issue I had before is gone. I'm able to run 30psi less then I was before, which puts me in the range of Knolly's recommended PSI for my weight. Now I have a tough call, I need to sell a shock with my old frame and need to decide between the ElevenSix and the X2.
Oh really? I got mine back and then promptly left the country, so I haven't ridden it yet. Have you checked that the volume spacer configuration is the same?

Dec 3, 2007
So I ended up cancelling the Spitfire order. The frames were delayed a couple weeks and my lack of patience got the best of me. That and finding a great price on a '16 Kona Process 134DL frame sealed the deal. Probably not as "cool" as the Spitty, but with 26" wheels and a longer fork the numbers are close. Also get the extra stack height I was looking for and the lifetime warranty is a bonus.

Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, I know. I'm sure the Spitfire would have been a lot of fun, but the deal on the Process was damn good and I really like the numbers. I have a couple other shocks that fit it too if I don't dig the Monarch. The Bottlerocket is going back to Transition for inspection and possible crash replacement, so a Scout or Patrol might be in the works as well. Definitely worse problems to have, I suppose.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cracked my 2015 Spit. Banshee/Dirt Merchant Bikes (Colorado) crushed it on the customer service. New frame in my hands less than two weeks later. Kudos dudes!! Herr she is. Rides nice. Bigger ride tomorrow to continue the setup!
Where'd yours crack?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
About 4 Squirrel paces NE of the bb on the down tube. Right at the gusset.
Interestingggggg. I've taken a good look at mine and it still looks good.

Is it only the later V2 Spitfires that are cracking? If I recall correctly the tubes/frame/whatever were made lighter for 2015/2014ish? I received mine in early 2013, so I think it was one of the earlier batches.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Interestingggggg. I've taken a good look at mine and it still looks good.

Is it only the later V2 Spitfires that are cracking? If I recall correctly the tubes/frame/whatever were made lighter for 2015/2014ish? I received mine in early 2013, so I think it was one of the earlier batches.
I don't know that any of them "are cracking". I think it's just pounding the sh!t out of this thing for the past 18mo in Pisgah. Mine was a 2015 frame toward the end of the run, received in April 2015.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
My 2013 is still going strong--includes 3 years under me and now getting beat on by another local dude that rides hard. While the change in tubing may be the culprit it's impossible to know for sure--it's not like they went and made it a featherweight either. @Metamorphic rides a TON in the Pisgah which is absolutely brutal on bikes. Dude is tearing holes in DD casing Maxxis tires and shit. Point being don't freak out yet YMMV.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No freaking out here. :D More just curiosity. I'm still confident in the frame and would get another one, should anything happen to it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Dunno if they're mentioned already but in the same vein as the Spitfire, Scout and Endorphin it might be worth looking at the new Evil Calling and the Kona Process 134 DL. There are more and more options in the hard hitting trail bike category, or at least a few trail bikes built for hitting features as well.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Evils have retarded seat angles. Last time I swung a leg over one I felt instantly transported to 1998.
Yep. The Following and the Insurgent are pretty average, but the Calling is now 74.8º which isn't terrible. Probably still a bit slack for my stumpy legs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yep. The Following and the Insurgent are pretty average, but the Calling is now 74.8º which isn't terrible. Probably still a bit slack for my stumpy legs.
Not to mention that it's 74.8 effective (in the high setting) with a super slack actual angle. That 74.8 doesn't mean anything, because nobody cares what the seat tube angle is with the seat down. Once you get the seat jacked up, it's really slack.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Like HAB said you can't use that number like that, seat tube angle is unfortunately a virtual measurement (unlike HA), which is why you can have two bikes with the same "SA" and vastly different actual angles (and seated climbing positions).

Mondraker provides an actual seat tube angle measurement (alongside the standard useless one) which I think everyone should get on board with, but until then it's probably good enough if people are aware of how it works.

Currently the best bet if you're comparing bikes is to just look at a side-on picture.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My 2013 is still going strong--includes 3 years under me and now getting beat on by another local dude that rides hard. While the change in tubing may be the culprit it's impossible to know for sure--it's not like they went and made it a featherweight either. @Metamorphic rides a TON in the Pisgah which is absolutely brutal on bikes. Dude is tearing holes in DD casing Maxxis tires and shit. Point being don't freak out yet YMMV.
Yes, yes it is.