Quantcast

Sponsorhouse.com

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
More and more companies have a link to sposorhouse when you search their sites for sponsorship info. I know that Foes and IH use them, but I don't know how well the system works. I was thinking that it might be worth the $ if, for no other reason, than last year my gf and I spent well over $50 on postage and mailing supplies getting her presentations out.

Dood...dont waste your 50???? Our team used them and we got a ton of sponsors. Rich Housman and www.sponsorhouse.com are helping me with my mtb camp I am putting on. Its a great way fro a new rider to the sport ot get some help from big companies. Its worth the 50 , try ti out check it out a bit. The guys are all super help full and they all have a clue whats going on.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Sent $50, account created, resume posted to foes, didn't get a response (either + or -), account got reset, couldn't even log back on, lost $50...

That's my experience.

Save your $50. That's my opinion.

I have access to broform and other sponsorship accounts which have personally provided me with better service than sponsor house did.

You're experience has obviously been better than mine, so this guy can judge for himself if sponsor house can meet his needs.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by HGR Frucci
Sent $50, account created, resume posted to foes, didn't get a response (either + or -), account got reset, couldn't even log back on, lost $50...

That's my opinion.

I have access to broform and other sponsorship accounts which have personally provided me with better service than sponsor house. You're experience has obviously been better than mine.
Did you try to get your money back? If you have a credit card receipt and your account is gone, and they won't give you your money back, isn't that theft?
I'm not trying to doubt you or anything, but form past experience, it seems like "X happened and I got screwed" storries usually have more than 1 version. For companies like Foes, IH, and many other to trust them, I have to give Sponsorhouse the benefit of the doubt, but it does sound like they screwed up (at least a little).

That's my experience.

Save your $50. That's my opinion.

I have access to broform and other sponsorship accounts which have personally provided me with better service than sponsor house did.

You're experience has obviously been better than mine, so this guy can judge for himself if sponsor house can meet his needs.

did you contact sponsor house, just becuae foes didnt email you back inst their fualt:confused: You should contact them and nicly explain your situation, instead of bashing them , when you could have done more to prevent the problem.

and broform is not a sponsorship program , its to help people in the industry get deals, Im a memmber too.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
The only reason I went through SH was to try to work a deal with Foes, since it was the only way to work with them.

Never pursued getting my money back, and nothing else on sponsor house (at that time) interested me, or was as good a deal as what I was already getting. So that's my lack of responsibility in pursuing a refund.

Ended up I got hooked up with Santa Cruz and am very happy with the outcome.

My thought is, if you REALLY want a Foes or IH and this is the only way to get a deal, then do it and take your chances. I didn't think there was anything else really worth pursuing at that time, to try and recoup my $50.

I considered it a $50 lesson learned. In most cases, I think a well written proposal and solid results will get you further for a just few bucks in postage.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Who uses Sponsorhouse.com in here? Know anyone that does? Have any feedback?
Bibbs -

You had a different experience that was more positive then mine.

If I wanted to bash them I would have said "SH F#$@ING SUCKS!!!"

The guy wants feedback. That's what I gave based on my experience. End of story.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The only reason I went through SH was to try to work a deal with Foes, since it was the only way to work with them.

Never pursued getting my money back, and nothing else on sponsor house (at that time) interested me, or was as good a deal as what I was already getting. So that's my lack of responsibility in pursuing a refund.

Ended up I got hooked up with Santa Cruz and am very happy with the outcome.

My thought is, if you REALLY want a Foes or IH and this is the only way to get a deal, then do it and take your chances. I didn't think there was anything else really worth pursuing at that time, to try and recoup my $50.

I considered it a $50 lesson learned. In most cases, I think a well written proposal and solid results will get you further for a just few bucks in postage.

Its nice to know the whole storry. I was only using IH and Foes as examples. They were the only 2 I could think of off the top of my head. I want to look in to sponsorhouse. Waiting for ~40 proposals to print on a laser printer last fall took 2+ hours. So much time/money involved going to companied 1 at a time.

casagrande

Chimp
Feb 26, 2004
How many of you have written a nice proposal, sent it out, and got no response?

How much did the proposal cost you? Paper,supplies, postage, etc.?

Thanks.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I've never tried SponsorHouse so I can't provide feedback on whether it is worth the $50. As a team manager, I have sent lots of proposals to companies directly, some who are also affiliated with SH, and have gotten good results. Some have not responded, and others didn't respond until I emailed them to inquire about sponsorship status, and yet others responded quick. Azonic is one of the companies we have had a good close relationship with and they respond very quickly when we sent our proposal to them directly, but you can also possibly get a deal with them through SH.

I would say if you are capable of putting together a nice proposal on your own then you should send it to the company direct. Even though it may cost you a little more time and money, I think it will have a more meaningful impact if you have a good proposal. If you ride like a champ, but don't know when to use "there" or "their" maybe you should give Sponsor House a try. Just my experienced opinion.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by casagrande

Thanks.
I worked on a proposal with my girlfriend. I worked on the "business" end b/c I worked in a shop for many years, and she is the racer. It ended up being a lot longer than it need to/should have been at 10 pages. But it looked VERY good. Pictures of her were used as a background to every page. I would say that took a good 6+ hours. Probably a lot more. While I was working on the graphics, she would be doing text. Then she'd email it to me and I'd put it in, so the time is a little hard to estimate.
Printing was another long process. She ended up with a list of ~40 companies to send stuff to. Each cover letter had to be adjusted to the respective co's name. Sometimes it was just the name of the company, other times we had to change a couple of sentences when the co's were different enough. We did all that at my dad's office b/c he has a color laser printer. The thing was SLOW, but the quality was what we needed. I would say that it took ~4 hours to customize and print all the proposals, maybe more time.
Then we put all of the presentations into slipcovers. That didn't take very long, and we bought a 50 pacl of covers at Office Depot (I think Staples is better quality) for ~$11.
I forget what the manilla mailing envelopes cost us.
I believe that the postage was $1.06 (1st class, less than 4oz.) per proposal.
Then, once you get some offers, you have to worry about how to represent them. That usually means jersies. For a small team (1 or just a few riders), I think your best jersey bet is to get a plain off-the-shelf jersey and see which companies sell patches. Not the best solution, but it is the cheapest and will look better than monchromatic silkscreening.
So yeah, its a hell of a lot of work.
Was it worth it? I would say yes, but I don't want to go through it again. We learned a TON of good stuff.
You can add it up!:D

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by Repack
I worked on a proposal with my girlfriend. I worked on the "business" end b/c I worked in a shop for many years, and she is the racer. It ended up being a lot longer than it need to/should have been at 10 pages. But it looked VERY good. Pictures of her were used as a background to every page. I would say that took a good 6+ hours. Probably a lot more. While I was working on the graphics, she would be doing text. Then she'd email it to me and I'd put it in, so the time is a little hard to estimate.
Printing was another long process. She ended up with a list of ~40 companies to send stuff to. Each cover letter had to be adjusted to the respective co's name. Sometimes it was just the name of the company, other times we had to change a couple of sentences when the co's were different enough. We did all that at my dad's office b/c he has a color laser printer. The thing was SLOW, but the quality was what we needed. I would say that it took ~4 hours to customize and print all the proposals, maybe more time.
Then we put all of the presentations into slipcovers. That didn't take very long, and we bought a 50 pacl of covers at Office Depot (I think Staples is better quality) for ~$11.
I forget what the manilla mailing envelopes cost us.
I believe that the postage was $1.06 (1st class, less than 4oz.) per proposal.
Then, once you get some offers, you have to worry about how to represent them. That usually means jersies. For a small team (1 or just a few riders), I think your best jersey bet is to get a plain off-the-shelf jersey and see which companies sell patches. Not the best solution, but it is the cheapest and will look better than monchromatic silkscreening.
So yeah, its a hell of a lot of work.
Was it worth it? I would say yes, but I don't want to go through it again. We learned a TON of good stuff.
You can add it up!:D
This is a very professional approach (and well thought out). I highly doubt that you could get the same results relying on a third party (SH, or whomever else offers that type of service). So while it may be cheaper and maybe less of a headache, I would expect less results than what you achieved. I'm a team mate of HGR Frucci, so well aware of our lack of success with SH and would reiterate - save your $50 and do something more along the lines of what you did last year and you should get great results. Our approach (after SH didn't work out) was like yours and we couldn't be happier with the support we're getting now.

casagrande

Chimp
Feb 26, 2004
With your sponsors that you have, do you pay for the product?

Do you spend more than $50 a year on product?

Thanks.
About the same price both ways.

Here's the Count:

Sponsorhouse: 0
Paper, supplies, postage, etc.,: 18 and counting

If you just look at what you're able to send out the old way, you're definitely able to hit more potential sponsors if you do it yourself. Sponsorhouse only allowed you to market yourself to a handful of potential sponsors (last I counted, there were about 20 MTB-related companies signed up - this was a while ago) - these same companies (w/ the exception of Foes) also accept snail-mail sponsorship requests.

I'm not saying Sponsorhouse is a bad idea - I think its a great concept... Its just that not enough companies signed up to make it worth the $50 you're payin - execution's been the problem.

Sponsorhouse does a good job of helping out the rider or team that doesn't have much experience marketing themselves - good tips on resume writing, etc.,

casagrande

Chimp
Feb 26, 2004
For $50 a year, having a updateable resume for results, images, and Bio Information, is a steal.

You can also print the resume straight off of SH.

It's a great way to keep your information current and fresh.

Thanks for the Feedback.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
For $50 a year, having a updateable resume for results, images, and Bio Information, is a steal.

You can also print the resume straight off of SH.

It's a great way to keep your information current and fresh.

Thanks for the Feedback.
For $50 a year you could set up your own website, including hosting, and then do whatever you want with it....

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
With your sponsors that you have, do you pay for the product?

Do you spend more than $50 a year on product?
If you're good enough to be getting free products from sponsors, at least higher priced items, you don't need SH to make it happen. Most sponsorship deals for amatures and semi-pros generally mean discounted products, support, etc...

Sponsors are looking for people to represent thier products in the best way. You can do this with results and by having a good image - meaning, supporting the sport, being active in your mtn bike community etc... You're basically representing them and thier product, so it's not all about podiums. All the more reason to put together something more personalized for each potential sponsor rather than rely on something like SH.

The search for sponsors should not be so difficult every year either. Initially, yes you'll have to put in alot of footwork, but once you get lined up with good companies, represent them well and keep the relationship going. I know my two team owners/managers put a TON of time into getting our sponsors. We now have support from some of the best and I'm hoping they are all long-term. Progressive, for example, has been supporting us for three years and every year it just keep getting better:)