Quantcast

Sponsors?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Good race finishes are always a plus, but keep in mind that sponsors are looking for more than just race wins - as a sponsored rider, you are also a living, breathing ad representing their products AND their company (both on and off the bike). ;)

If you have a history of good results it is easier to get a sponsor. The best bet is to go racing and have fun. A lot of the maufacturers will sponsor a "grassroots" program through the LBS. You have a better chance of getting into something like this if you have been a member of the LBS club. You will probably also get to learn from other more experienced racers and have access to the group rides that leave the store.
Once you have raced for a while you can put together your resume. Sponsors will want to see that you are visible on the race scene and they will want to see that you have a plan for upcoming years as well. At this point you may qualify for the "grassroots" programs. The amount of support varies depending on the manufacturer and the results that you get.
Unless you are very good and/or very visible you will probably end up paying for your equipment. A lot of people claim to be sponsored but they still have to pay money to race and they have to pay something for their equipment. The best bet is to go racing for the fun of it. Expect to pay for your entry fee and your bikes, any sponsorship that you earn will be a bonus.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by pat873401
How good do you have to be to get sponsors?
Alot better than you if you are talking real sponsering i have a deal worked out with my LBS i wear there jersey and i got 500$ off on my bike along with lots of free stuff and huge discounts on everything.
My goal next year is to finish in top 3 in all of Quebec if i do i'm going to talk to some companys like Devinci and Norco and RM they probly will say to bad but i think it's worth a try.