Quantcast

Sports drink question???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've never tried the stuff, but liquid creatine is garbage. I believe most people buy it because of the 5g creatine it contains. The problem is, creatine breaks down when it is sitting in liquid for a long period of time (say, several hours). It breaks down into creatinine, which is basically waste material. So by the time you drink the Alpha ATP, the creatine has broken down into creatinine, which does your body no good (no harm, either). This drink does contain lots of vitamins and minerals, but you can get those though an inexpensive multi-vitamin, and multi-mitamin doesn't contain the 250 calories the drink does. One thing I do see as a benefit from this drink is the 200mg of L-glutamine it contains.

So, my opinion: Waste of money. If you want creatine, use powder.

my two cents anyway.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I know that powdered creatine will break down into creatinine, but surely liquid creatine is different? There are creatine drinks and serums, and I don't see how they could legally be sold if they weren't truly creatine (rather than creatinine). :eek:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by gecko
I know that powdered creatine will break down into creatinine, but surely liquid creatine is different? There are creatine drinks and serums, and I don't see how they could legally be sold if they weren't truly creatine (rather than creatinine). :eek:
It's creatine when it is bottled. After sitting on a shelf for weeks on end, the creatine breaks down.

Here in the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration does not regulate creatine, and the labels are not evaluated by the FDA. So the manufacturer can pretty much say whatever they want, but they don't get the FDA stamp of approval.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ok, let me correct myself. I got this from that creatine website I posted:

"The major down side to liquid creatine is it is very hard to make. If creatine is just mixed in a liquid it starts to breakdown into a waste product (creatinine) after about 20 minutes. So, to make liquid creatine effective the creatine must be stabilized. If the creatine is stabilized it will not break down into a waste product - and it will remain as creatine monohydrate."

So I guess it is possible for liquid creatine to work, but I know NO ONE that had good results from it. Again, that's my opinion. Don't let me stop you from trying it out.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Ok, let me correct myself. I got this from that creatine website I posted:

"The major down side to liquid creatine is it is very hard to make. If creatine is just mixed in a liquid it starts to breakdown into a waste product (creatinine) after about 20 minutes. So, to make liquid creatine effective the creatine must be stabilized. If the creatine is stabilized it will not break down into a waste product - and it will remain as creatine monohydrate."

So I guess it is possible for liquid creatine to work, but I know NO ONE that had good results from it. Again, that's my opinion. Don't let me stop you from trying it out.
What brand of creatine powder do you use IRB? Are there any brands that don't taste like ****?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

What brand of creatine powder do you use IRB? Are there any brands that don't taste like ****?
I use Met-Rx Micronized creatine. "Micronized" simply means it's been finely grained so it dissolves better in water. I don't think it has any taste, it just leaves some grain in your mouth after you drink it. I take mine by mixing it with a little water and gulping it down in one breath. It has no flavor, but you just have to get used to the feeling of drinking sand. And you DO get used to it.

hey
Thanks for all the info. I just keep seeing the stuff in the fitness mags and was curious if it were any good.

Just to fill in a little more:

It does show to be Creatine Monohydrate and it says on the lable that its 100% stable for 2 years.

Basically I was just looking for a change from the Gatorade and Powerade that I usually drink. Not wanting to bulk up any. Just a little kick in the pants for a long day of riding.

Also know what you mean about the nasty tasting stuff. I drink a lot of MetrX and decided to try something a little different. Got a can of Designer Whey and mixed it according to directions thinking it would be similar to MetrX. Man is that some foul tasting $hit. What to do with it now?

Thanks alot
Jay

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, Like this company called Kaizen. They only make grape flavor. I stumbled across this company a while back when i was lifting heavy for rugby. I put on 25 pounds of lean muscle after 6 months. I used all the major brands, muscle tech (CRAP), Metrx, various liquid etc. etc. but I hit a plateau. I tried this stuff on a recommendation of a friend who used to be a Mr. New Zealand and it worked great. I didn't load or anything special. Just took a dose right before I went to work out.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Dog Welder

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, Like this company called Kaizen. They only make grape flavor. I stumbled across this company a while back when i was lifting heavy for rugby. I put on 25 pounds of lean muscle after 6 months. I used all the major brands, muscle tech (CRAP), Metrx, various liquid etc. etc. but I hit a plateau. I tried this stuff on a recommendation of a friend who used to be a Mr. New Zealand and it worked great. I didn't load or anything special. Just took a dose right before I went to work out.
That's a pretty impressive story! I'll have to try that stuff out. Thanks :)