Quantcast

SportWorks Transport T2?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Is the rack still the same now that it was bought by Thule?

And if so, should I get one? I figure it will be waaaaaay better than my current Thule Expressway. It takes me 10 minutes to finagle my RMX on to it.

So, what do you :monkey:s think, should I get me one?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The current batches of T2 are made by Sportworks. They shut out the local dealers by producing a huge batch for Thule before they close up shop.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sportworks racks remain the same even if they got bought out by Thule.

Only by 2006 will you start seeing Sportworks racks with the name “Thule” on them.

gmoney80

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
colorado springs, co
Make Sure You Get The Freeride/downhill Version Of The T2 Because A 2.5 Tire Will Not Fit Right On The Normal T2 I Know Because I Had That Problem The Trays On The Dh Version Are Bigger The Colorado Cyclist Still Sells The Downhill Version Of The T2

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
gmoney80 said:
Make Sure You Get The Freeride/downhill Version Of The T2 Because A 2.5 Tire Will Not Fit Right On The Normal T2 I Know Because I Had That Problem The Trays On The Dh Version Are Bigger The Colorado Cyclist Still Sells The Downhill Version Of The T2
say what? I think you are confusing the T2 with the TranSport rack.

Tires up to 3.0 will fit in ANY T2 rack..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
gmoney80 said:
Are you talking about the old Transport racks? They required the Phat Hoops upgrade to correctly fit big tires.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yeah, I just got my T2 about 3 weeks ago....thing F*CKING rox!!!! I ride a 03 rotec with an 02 Monster. Makes it a 48" wheelbase and just shy of 50 lbs....that rack makes it soooooooo ez to load and unload it's wrong. That, and it'll hold up to 4 bikes that weigh 40 lbs. a piece. Buy one now!!!

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Secret Squirrel said:
Yeah, I just got my T2 about 3 weeks ago....thing F*CKING rox!!!! I ride a 03 rotec with an 02 Monster. Makes it a 48" wheelbase and just shy of 50 lbs....that rack makes it soooooooo ez to load and unload it's wrong. That, and it'll hold up to 4 bikes that weigh 40 lbs. a piece. Buy one now!!!
STOP! Only the Freeride downhill version is rated for 50lb bikes....and its only 2 trays. I have an original transport T2 with the 4 bike version....and you can certainly do 4 dh rigs on it.....but after a short while it will show fatigue. Yes, I own one of each. I now only use the T2 for xc and road bikes. If you tray up 4 dh bikes on it.....run a strap from the last two bikes to a roof rack of something to help offset the flex of the rack with that much downforce on it. But remember, you are way outside the warranty and what they recommend...so if it snaps, its your dollar.

Other than that...its been the best bike rack ever...so easy to use!!!

Sputneck.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
SPUTNECK said:
STOP! Only the Freeride downhill version is rated for 50lb bikes....and its only 2 trays. I have an original transport T2 with the 4 bike version....and you can certainly do 4 dh rigs on it.....but after a short while it will show fatigue. Yes, I own one of each. I now only use the T2 for xc and road bikes. If you tray up 4 dh bikes on it.....run a strap from the last two bikes to a roof rack of something to help offset the flex of the rack with that much downforce on it. But remember, you are way outside the warranty and what they recommend...so if it snaps, its your dollar.

Other than that...its been the best bike rack ever...so easy to use!!!

Sputneck.
From the Thule Website for the T2, part 260120:
FEATURES

* No wheel removal, no frame contact
* 4 Bike – 2” hitch
* Folds up for storage and down for access!
* Fits a wide range of bikes
* Carries bikes up to 50 pounds
* Handles wheels 20”-29” and up to 3” wide tires
* Bomber anti-wobble feature·
* Locking accessory available
http://thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=260120

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
BigMike said:
From the Thule Website for the T2, part 260120:
the T2 is specifically designed for heavier bikes - it enables you to carry 4, 40lb bikes OR 3, 50lb bikes. That is on the 2" hitch.

You can do 2, 50lb bikes on the smaller size hitch assembly (1 and 1/4).

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
renegade999 said:
who's got the lowest price on these racks?

The Thule Pro Deal site..........Thats why I'm so excited.

I have been eyeing a Sportworks rack for a looooooooong time, and after this past weekend, I was just gonna suck up the money and buy one. then I found out Thule bought them, and now I can get one for cheap :)

Anyway...... Rack outfitters has them for $299 here

Thats one of the best prices I've seen (Its MSRP is $360)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
thesacrifice said:
I own a T-2, besides it being pretty high on the back of my SUV it rules!
Why is it so high? I drive a Nissan Pathfinder. I don't really care about it being high, I'm just wondering.

Folded up, how far does it stick out from the back? The Expressway I have sticks out waaaaaaaaay far and it makes it a pain to parallell park in the city

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sold one of the transport freerides last week. Dang nice rack, but like all of the nice hitch racks, pricy. It's easy to use and set up though. Definitely what I'd get if I had a hitch.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
BigMike said:
Why is it so high? I drive a Nissan Pathfinder. I don't really care about it being high, I'm just wondering.

Folded up, how far does it stick out from the back? The Expressway I have sticks out waaaaaaaaay far and it makes it a pain to parallell park in the city

It sticks out the back of my Jeep about a foot when folded...isn't too bad at all. And the anti-wobble mechanism rocks. Just took it up a fire road for the first time with my 50 lb. rotec hangin' off and it took some gigantic potholes with ease!!!

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Is the T2 completely solid at the 4bar pivot in it's side to side motion and up and down motion?

Anybody find a cheaper price than $319 shipped? or $299 not shipped?
Thanks.

-J

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do you guys leave the rack attached to your vehicles or do you take it off at the end of the day. I've got a Mazda 3 and don't want to drive around monday-friday with a rack folded up on the back... I'd rather throw it into storage.. just wondering if it's convenient to hook up/take down

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Mr. Furious said:
Do you guys leave the rack attached to your vehicles or do you take it off at the end of the day. I've got a Mazda 3 and don't want to drive around monday-friday with a rack folded up on the back... I'd rather throw it into storage.. just wondering if it's convenient to hook up/take down
It's a matter of loosening two [rather large] bolts. The rack itself is fairly heavy so hopefully you have a garage you can leave it in. I need to lug it up/down the stairs of my apt. building.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Incubus said:
It's a matter of loosening two [rather large] bolts. The rack itself is fairly heavy so hopefully you have a garage you can leave it in. I need to lug it up/down the stairs of my apt. building.
So it is feasible then? I live in an apartment building but only have one flight of stairs to deal with

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah...you need a 3/4" and a 15/16" wrench to loosen the two bolts that hold it on....so my solution is a medium sized adjustable cresent wrench!!! Two birds with one stone and all that sh!t....Yeah...1 flight of stairs wouldn't be all that bad. It's a little cumbersome but no more so than a DH/FR bike would be!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mr. Furious said:
so does most everyone take it off when they are not using it? seems like a bit of a pain, and i'm wondering about potential galling of the internal threads over time if you are constantly removing/installing the bolts.

that said, it'd be a huge bummer to have some crook steal yr $300 rack. are there any locks or anti-theft measures available if you don't want to remove it after each use and still want (some) peace of mind?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Well....nothing is "theft-proof"....just different degrees of "theft-deterrent"...

Unless the thief is carrying around an adjustable cresent wrench (or the two exact sizes of wrenches) and wants to look like he's stealing something...(a rack like the T2 is just a little noticeable...and cumbersome) no one will bother.

As for galling of the threads....I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty solid construction so you'll prolly need a new rack from bouncing up and down fireroads (or if you live in Seattle...I-5) before the threads and bolts wear out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
I always take mine off when I'm not using it...doesn't take that long - unscrew the bolt and slide off. :thumb:
when i had my sportworks hitch rack i never took it off. and no, it wasn't stolen. i also leave my roof rack on all the time.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Toshi said:
when i had my sportworks hitch rack i never took it off. and no, it wasn't stolen. i also leave my roof rack on all the time.
I'm not taking it off as theft prevention, but more to get better gas mileage when I'm not hauling my bike around. Plus it’s easier for me to access the hatch when the rack isn’t there.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my trunk isn't obstructed by the rack, but ostensibly one of the reasons i wanted to get a hitch rack was to get better mileage. :think: luc, what kind of MPG difference did you see from not having the weight of the rack on yr car?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
my trunk isn't obstructed by the rack, but ostensibly one of the reasons i wanted to get a hitch rack was to get better mileage. :think: luc, what kind of MPG difference did you see from not having the weight of the rack on yr car?
You mean without the bikes on? like if i was just driving around with the rack on my car?

Couldn’t tell you...I always take it off when I'm not using it.

Also, my car is lowered and has stiffer springs - not as fun to drive when it has unnecessary weight in the back.

If I had a truck/suv/van – I would probably leave it on. When I had my Isuzu, I never took the hitch rack off.