Quantcast

sprained ankle help

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i was dirt jumping and had to put my foot down to prevent me from falling and i rolled my ankle. it was really bad and i didnt know if it was broken or just badly sprained. i got an x ray and have to go back tomorrow to get it checked. some people say it looks broker, others dont.

my foot and the bottom of my leg swelled up a lot. above the arch of my foot is bruised and so is the other side. and my ankle is a huge puff. i dont think its broken cuz i was able to stand on it. and after 3 days i can pratically walk on it.

my question is, since it doesnt hurt if i walk on it, is it bad to? i have crutches, which i got from the dr. but its easier getting around on 1 crutch than with 2.

edit: heres a pic

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have had similar ankle swelling due to rolling the same ankle multiple times while running fast down a hill. I don't expect my impact would had been as dramatic or sudden - I never bruised.

My advice is not to walk on the ankle until the swelling has passed. Alternate ice and heat wraps several times each day - wrap your ankle with an ace bandage just tight enough to feel pressure, this helps reduce swelling. In my experience the swelling will go away in 3 or 4 days but you should lay off the ankle for at least 2 weeks while the injury heals.

Nov 18, 2003
North Vancouver
hey, i rolled my ankel about 3 weeks ago now, and its not healed yet- is this bad :confused: when it happened i felt like i had broken it , and it swelled up real fast and it hurt like hell but i still walked on it, and now i can move it front to back a bit, enough to be able to walk & run lightly and pedal my bike, but i cant move it side to side at all or else it feels like...utter pain.. hha, i went to the doctor and he told me to get an x-ray but im kinda stubborn so i didnt go and figured it would heal on its own, but since its been like 3 weeks now im kinda scared .. i was hiking and stepped off a log, but kinda slipped somehow, and my right foot didnt move off the log and the rest of me fell , so at one point it rolled so far that the top of my foot was parrallel to my shin :dead:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by TheGimpedChick
hey, i rolled my ankel about 3 weeks ago now, and its not healed yet- is this bad :confused: when it happened i felt like i had broken it , and it swelled up real fast and it hurt like hell but i still walked on it, and now i can move it front to back a bit, enough to be able to walk & run lightly and pedal my bike, but i cant move it side to side at all or else it feels like...utter pain.. hha, i went to the doctor and he told me to get an x-ray but im kinda stubborn so i didnt go and figured it would heal on its own, but since its been like 3 weeks now im kinda scared .. i was hiking and stepped off a log, but kinda slipped somehow, and my right foot didnt move off the log and the rest of me fell , so at one point it rolled so far that the top of my foot was parrallel to my shin :dead:
A badly sprained ankle can take a very long time to heal and is prone to re-injury. I strongly recommend seeing a doctor and/or buying a brace and using it when you do any sort of exercise. I had chronic ankle problems for years because I did not adequately address the orignal sprain.

no_secrets

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Back in Tac Safe and Sound
Serial Midget has good advice about alternating cold and heat...it will contract and relax the muscles helling them to heal faster, improving circulation and reducing swelling. Also if you can start some Naproxen (Aleve) or Ibuprofin which will also help reduce swelling. Naproxen is better for quicker short term results...but Ibuprofin you will need to take it faithfully everyday until you are healed as it has to build up in your system to have any positive swelling reducing results.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by TheGimpedChick
You really need to address injuries early. It helps heal it so much faster. Never mess around with 3 joints - ankles, knees, and shoulders. Without one of these, you will be severly hampered in your athletic and day to day abilities. I reccomend going to a doc, getting an X-ray, and getting it all sorted out. I was plagued by ankle injuries for about 2 years because I didn't heal it properly to begin with.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
the usual reccommendation for ice is 20minutes on, 20 off. The best way to ice that I've found is this:

fill a bucket with ice cubes, then water. Then put your injury in it for 20 mintues. Yes, it will hurt like hell but it's extremely effective, much more so than an ice pack. Do this several times a day and it will start to feel much better. I learned this trick from a pal who is a collegiate athletic trainer - everytime I hurt myself she puts me in the steel tank in the training room.

xrays aren't a bad idea... you can do some serious damage to the bone with a bad sprain, and you need to confirm that hasn't happened.

geargrrl

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
its been about 3 weeks for me and im basically fully healed. i bought the 661 race brace and its so great. i wear it all day. i rode for the first time yesterday on some dirt jumps and fell on my bad foot and its fine. get an ankle brace. i think in the week span that i wore it, healing progressed so much.

oh i went crazy for a couple days and iced it every 20 minutes w/ an hour break after every hour of ice. that helped a lot too. i didnt take any ibuprofin or pills.

just keep it compressed whenever and ice it.

i never elevated it either.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by geargrrl
the usual reccommendation for ice is 20minutes on, 20 off. The best way to ice that I've found is this:

fill a bucket with ice cubes, then water. Then put your injury in it for 20 mintues. Yes, it will hurt like hell but it's extremely effective, much more so than an ice pack. Do this several times a day and it will start to feel much better. I learned this trick from a pal who is a collegiate athletic trainer - everytime I hurt myself she puts me in the steel tank in the training room.

xrays aren't a bad idea... you can do some serious damage to the bone with a bad sprain, and you need to confirm that hasn't happened.

geargrrl
I like using a small metal trash can. But yeah, this is the preferred method for your ankles. If only I could figure out how to do my knee without a bathtub I'd be golden.