Quantcast

Spring compressor for DH shock

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I ordered a spring for my Fox Vanilla RC and it is just a little to long to install the lower spring retainer ring.

I am heavy and ordered a 950 x 2.21 Compressing it by hand is going to be interesting. I was told by a customer service guy @ FOX to call my local bike shop and ask about a spring compressor. I have seen the ones used for vehical struts and the like. Do they even make somethig for MTB shocks? Would a motorcycle shop have a compressor for a spring that small in diameter? He also suggested that if I wanted I could try a few C-clamps to compress it enough.........it doesn't need much maybe that would work if I am carefull. The spring once the retainer clip is on will rattle a little bit so there will not be a constant load once the spring is released.

Just throwing this out there to anyone who might be aware of an actual tool like I described.

Thanks for any input you may have.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Maybe my wording was ill chosen?

You have to raise the spring above where it will rest when everything is in place. The lower retainer ring has a slot in it that allows the shock shaft to be put in the center of the ring. Then the bottom ring is then lowered onto the bottom part of the shock and into a recessed portion of the ring locking it in and not allowing the ring to move off center.

If that made any sense....I applaud you for figuring it out.:o

I need the spring to compress a little bit more than can be done with my hands to get the lower retainer ring over the shaft and down onto the shock lower.

After it is all said and done the distance between the upper and lower rings is a little bit longer than the uncompressed length of hte spring. Ever try removing your spring without backing off the preload collar? Similiar problem but in reverse.

Am I making any sense?

Thank goodness for 4 day weekends.

Z

Zonic Man

i know how to do it. Just take a couple of vice clamps, and put the shock in a vice by the top. The compress with the clamps. Usually takes 2 people to do it. Be careful, make sure nothing springs back.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

You have to raise the spring above where it will rest when everything is in place. The lower retainer ring has a slot in it that allows the shock shaft to be put in the center of the ring. Then the bottom ring is then lowered onto the bottom part of the shock and into a recessed portion of the ring locking it in and not allowing the ring to move off center.

I need the spring to compress a little bit more than can be done with my hands to get the lower retainer ring over the shaft and down onto the shock lower.

After it is all said and done the distance between the upper and lower rings is a little bit longer than the uncompressed length of hte spring. Ever try removing your spring without backing off the preload collar? Similiar problem but in reverse.

Am I making any sense?

:confused: , but I am obtuse, so don't worry about any further explanation.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Zonic Man
The compress with the clamps. Usually takes 2 people to do it. Be careful, make sure nothing springs back.
Thanks Zonic Man.

I was concerned about that:)

I guess I could wear my full face helmet. :think: Hmmm....what is dorkier? Wearing a full face helmet for 15minutes, or smiling without my front teeth?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

Am I making any sense?

Thats kind of similar to my Fox I can put enough weight into it to remove/install that clip. You can try a long screwdriver to move it down a hair. I'm assuming you only need to move it about 1/4" or so.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1

Thats kind of similar to my Fox I can put enough weight into it to remove/install that clip. You can try a long screwdriver to move it down a hair. I'm assuming you only need to move it about 1/4" or so.
Yeah that would probably do it. Local shop says they put the shock in a vise upside down and get a couple guys to get on the spring so the bottom ring can go on. Maybe I will see if they can help me....couldn't hurt to much.

Collins

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
Omaha, Nebraska
I had that same problem once. I used big zipties and stood on the spring to compress it, and tightened the zipties to hold it compressed while installing the clip. About 5 zipties. It's not like you are compressing it an inch. I have heard of people taking their shocks to motocycle shops to have them do this.