Quantcast

Spring MonkeyFest 2005 at Pisgah NF

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Okay,
I just thought I would throw this idea out there, since its winter and I need something to look forward to as far as riding bikes goes.
What would it take to set aside a fairly decent sized camping area at Pisgah so monkeys from the southeast, or wherever could all meet up, camp, and do some trailrides together?
I want to do it in spring so that no one's in shape just yet :D And we can all just have a good time in the nice weather. Also, my spring break from school is around there, so that'd be cool too, but for most of us, Pisgah isnt that far a drive anyway, so just about any weekend would work.

Who is up for this?

MODS: Could we make this a sticky, please?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Id be in .

Biggins has all kinds of knowledge.

Either in the Ranger District, or N Mills !

Seasonal trails open April 10th, but any time after DayLightSavings starts so we have that extra time for riding

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
buck said:
Thatd be awesome. I go to school at Clemson, so thatd only be like an hour away or so. I sure a few guys from here would want to go too. BurlyShirley do you race at ETSU?
yeah. this was my first year of it though, and I got mono before the first race, so I sucked bad at Cumberland and had to sit out the season, but I was at some of the races. I worked the Slalom gate at the ETSU race, and raced a Surly 1x1 in shortrack and XC at cumberland.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yup im the man when it comes down to it. There is one site that would be big enough for all the monkeys as well as some mobile stunts and whatnot.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
yup im the man when it comes down to it. There is one site that would be big enough for all the monkeys as well as some mobile stunts and whatnot.
Well, lets see what we can do about reserving it now, or very soon. If its going to cost some money, I can front it probably, and people can just pay like $5 when they arrive or something.

Sound good?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Well, lets see what we can do about reserving it now, or very soon. If its going to cost some money, I can front it probably, and people can just pay like $5 when they arrive or something.

Sound good?
pick a date. dont ask people whats good for them cause that neverworks. if you just pick a date then people can plan for that date.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
also i will be more than willing to make the calls and get the reservations up and running. we will laso need to do a to bring list where people can state what they are going to bring. be it a truck load of firewood or big open walled tent, etc.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
also i will be more than willing to make the calls and get the reservations up and running. we will laso need to do a to bring list where people can state what they are going to bring. be it a truck load of firewood or big open walled tent, etc.
Yeah, that's a good call. Everyone who is positively going just PM me and we'll make a list. Shouldnt be much, and we'll have it all BYOB, but Im not sure beer is allowed in Pisgah.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, that's a good call. Everyone who is positively going just PM me and we'll make a list. Shouldnt be much, and we'll have it all BYOB, but Im not sure beer is allowed in Pisgah.
technically it isnt. but in 29 years i have never heard of anyone gettin in trouble. Also the campsite im gonna try to get has a shuttle trail that empties into it called caney bottoms.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
technically it isnt. but in 29 years i have never heard of anyone gettin in trouble. Also the campsite im gonna try to get has a shuttle trail that empties into it called caney bottoms.
Yeah, I was thinking we could do some shuttle runs out there as well. I think this will all come together nicely.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ben, Id like us to be able to camp there Friday night AND saturday night and then leave Sunday afternoon. So we may need to get the site for the 23rd as well.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well consider it done. i will get on reserrvong the campsite. it is enourmous. i think they slate it for 150 people. but it is still relatively cheap.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
well consider it done. i will get on reserrvong the campsite. it is enourmous. i think they slate it for 150 people. but it is still relatively cheap.
Oops. I meant the 22nd also. So 22-24.

Im really not trying to start a festival here or anything, just a little get together where everyone can camp together. All will be responsible for their own food and stuff like that, but we may have ONE main campfire where everyone can cill out. So a "to bring" list probably wont be too necessary.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
awww mang lets go all out. itll be fun.

the campsite is 80 bucks a night. it holds 100 people. it is very spacious. it would be fun to have maybe a few different fires. People should certainly bring their own food and whatnot but i was thinkin more along the line of firewood, non walled tents for cooking if it rains things of that nature. I think we should make it as group oriented as possible, go ahead and plan for it since it will probably end up that way anyway ya know?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
awww mang lets go all out. itll be fun.

the campsite is 80 bucks a night. it holds 100 people. it is very spacious. it would be fun to have maybe a few different fires. People should certainly bring their own food and whatnot but i was thinkin more along the line of firewood, non walled tents for cooking if it rains things of that nature. I think we should make it as group oriented as possible, go ahead and plan for it since it will probably end up that way anyway ya know?
uh...well, i really dont want to be stressing over things like what people are going to eat and stuff like that. We can have a community grill, I guess and that's all good. I can get an EZ up for us to use, no problem. We can cook under that. But I dont want to set times for rides or anything, but if you're willing to take that on, go right ahead. I just want folks to have a designated place to ride where we can all hang out and stuff.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
no i absolutely would not get into planning big community meals. i was just planning on some community spaces ya know. As for rides im sure that would be discussed the ngiht before over beer and fire.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
biggins said:
no i absolutely would not get into planning big community meals. i was just planning on some community spaces ya know. As for rides im sure that would be discussed the ngiht before over beer and fire.
yeah, that sounds good. lets just not get too extravegant. we're roughing it, remember? I cant wait for this. Going to rock.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
One way to handle the rides is for individuals to volunteer to lead one. Preferably those will be people who know the area well, and their job will really be to see that no one gets completely lost. For example, someone could volunteer to lead an intermediate ride on Saturday leaving at 1pm that will cover 12 miles. Anyone else that wants to show up is welcome to do so. You two don't have to keep track of anyone or any schedules, because that's the job of whoever volunteers to lead the ride.

That's two weeks after Ouachita. So I'll probably still be in payback mode for an entire weekend off.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
im down like charlie brown...anyone gonna be bringing trail dogs? i take my dog sprocket with me trail riding all the time...he is so fast its the only way i can keep up with him.

and im sure i can't be the only one thinking...B O N F I R E jumpin' ....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ridetoofast said:
im down like charlie brown...anyone gonna be bringing trail dogs? i take my dog sprocket with me trail riding all the time...he is so fast its the only way i can keep up with him.

and im sure i can't be the only one thinking...B O N F I R E jumpin' ....
Bring the dog, for sure. Ill bring mine.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
TN said:
cool. the ball is rolling.
look at this guy, here we are talkin about a kick ass weekend of bike riding dirty souf style and he brings up balls.

friggin n00b

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:

Sound good?
Richy Rich

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Dude, I'd be all over that. I'm not 100% but I don't see any reason why I couldn't go...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
biggins said:
look at this guy, here we are talkin about a kick ass weekend of bike riding dirty souf style and he brings up balls.

friggin n00b
speaking of balls....will there be any shuttling going on? :devil:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, so far it looks like we have peeps reprazenting from VA, FL, SC, NC, and TN. where da geeeorja peeps at?