Quantcast

Spring Rates

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just picked up a '05 Giant Faith 2 on sale. This is my first bike w/ really active suspension so I've got a couple of questions.

Right now it has the stock junior t and swinger on it. The spring on the swinger says it's a 500x2.75 so I'm guessing that's a 500lb spring? I'm not sure what the stock rate in the junior t is.

I'm about 205lbs, and am usually pretty hard on bikes (had to get this one because I bent the shock mount on my old idrive 3.0). After looking at some pics of me landing some fairly small jumps, it appears that both front and rear are really close to bottoming out. I've got the preload dialed all the way up on the junior t and quite a bit of air in the swinger. to all you 200+ lb riders our there- is this normal or do I need stiffer springs? What stiffness do you guys usually use?

novarider

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Northern VA
im sorry i dont have an answer for you, although ive been wondering about the same thing. i asked a similar question on another board but didnt get any really useful answers.

bdamschen said:
Just picked up a '05 Giant Faith 2 on sale. This is my first bike w/ really active suspension so I've got a couple of questions.

Right now it has the stock junior t and swinger on it. The spring on the swinger says it's a 500x2.75 so I'm guessing that's a 500lb spring? I'm not sure what the stock rate in the junior t is.

I'm about 205lbs, and am usually pretty hard on bikes (had to get this one because I bent the shock mount on my old idrive 3.0). After looking at some pics of me landing some fairly small jumps, it appears that both front and rear are really close to bottoming out. I've got the preload dialed all the way up on the junior t and quite a bit of air in the swinger. to all you 200+ lb riders our there- is this normal or do I need stiffer springs? What stiffness do you guys usually use?

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
how much sag are you running it should be right around 30% of the travel. just measure from the top of the seat to the ground and write it down the sit on it and have someone measure it. if your are running 8 inches of travel and you run 30% of sag that mean you should compress the suspension 2.4 inches. if it is more you should bump up your spring rate. you want to run as little preload as you can so you get a smooth ride out of your suspension instead of a harsh ride. you this helps some.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm 240 with gear, and on my Intense M1 I have a 450lbs spring on it right now (for a 9.5x3.0 shock). I had a 550lbs at one point and it seemed too stiff. I'm trying to see if I can find a 500lbs spring and try that instead. I think the 500lbs one I'd be happier with.

It's hard to say what is right/wrong. I get the correct amount of sag with little preload. It's soft though when riding, and I dunno if I am bottoming out the rear shock. I run full PSI in the shock (175), the air volume adjuster is 6 turns out, and the other settings are set correctly. I just think I need a 50lbs more spring to keep things a float.

I'd try the next size up if you're 100% sure you're bottoming the suspension. But 500lbs seems about right for your weight. Maybe a little less even depending on how the bike is setup for you and such.

The junior T you might be able to add some oil to it to make it not bottom so easy. Most Marzocchi forks are notorious for low oil levels from the factory. Might want to check that out too!

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
This might help some. http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm If the faith suspension works like the vpp then you have the right size spring. Do you have a adjuster on the piggyback of your shock to adjust the air pressure volume? If you do you can dial it in a fiew turns to keep from bottoming out.

It just compresses the air in the chamber making it harder for the shock to move twords the end of the travel. You should use all the travel on your bike,that's why you have it. If you bottom on 4 or 5 foot drops to flat thats kind of normal! That don't mean it will bottom on a drop 9ft with a decent transition to land on!

Drops to flat are brutal on the frame and suspension, so if it was a small drop or jump to flat that may be why it's close to bottoming the suspension. If it was to a transition then you should adjust the shock some more! Like the guy above said... You should only turn the coil spring about two or three turns max for the correct preload.

I run a stiffer spring so I can keep the preload at one turn. It's soo much smoother thru the travel.

outdoornut

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
bdamschen said:

I purchased a 2005 Giant AC. The factory spring was not strong enough since I weight in around 210#. My LBS ordered an 800# spring and that works just find. Another AC rider at the same shop weighted in around 245 and they put a 1000# spring under him.
Your LBS can assist you in setting your bike up with the proper spring.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Dang, 800# seems like it would be really stiff... Is there a difference between manufacturer on spring stiffness? Like even though one says 500#, could it be softer or stiffer than another 500# spring from someone else?

outdoornut

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
bdamschen said:
Dang, 800# seems like it would be really stiff... Is there a difference between manufacturer on spring stiffness? Like even though one says 500#, could it be softer or stiffer than another 500# spring from someone else?
I thought the same thing, however each model bike is different. My AC came with a 550X2.0 and when the LBS tried to set the preload it would sink past the recommended amount. They contacted the manufacturer, advised them my weight and Giant advised them to step it up to the 800#. My friend just purchased a leftover 2005 AC and because he weights in around 245# they have the LBS installing a 1000#. According to my LBS each model would require different spring rates. I believe in one of the previous posts they explain how to determine proper preload. On my AC it is not much. Do the preload test and shock travel test to determine if you need a heavier spring. If you can preload properly and the recommended free travel you shouldn't need another spring. Good luck and have fun..

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
ok manufacturing springs is not precise. a 500lb spring probably has a +/- 15-20lb margin of error on it, though i would hope its more like +/-10lbs...this could make up for some the the feel, but each bike has different suspension rates as well as leverage ratio's which will make the suspension feel different, even if the main pivots are identical, that being said, the ac had a 3:1 ratio in 6" mode, which is pretty high, and for estimating springs i use this and find it to be accurate, just read through the directions given and it will come out fairly accurate
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8201

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
bdamschen said:
both front and rear are really close to bottoming out. I've got the preload dialed all the way up on the junior t and quite a bit of air in the swinger. to all you 200+ lb riders our there- is this normal or do I need stiffer springs? What stiffness do you guys usually use?
Depends on how you plan on riding. If you plan on downhill racing, your spring rate is probably right, and increasing compression damping will prevent you from bottoming. More compression damping will also make your suspension soak up less momentum on compression rises. The downside is the ride is less plush. If you're just dorking around riding random stuff like stairs to flat, corporate building logos to flat etc, you'd probably want a stiffer spring.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I'm riding an '03 Big Hit Expert with a 600# spring with stiffer springs in my Marzo JRT, and I like the setup. Does fine for all the drops and technical stuff on Post Canyon trail system in Hood River, Oregon.