Quantcast

sram 9.0 or xt rear derailleur

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
xt. bike parts should not be made out of plastic... i mean "composite".

But seriously, I had one (9.0)in my hand a couple of months ago, and I have the engineering manuals, and they just don't look like you could bash them off of stuff and have em survive. It didn't shift so well for me either. I switched back to my old xtr drivetrain and was much happier.

R

RideMonkey

I like my SRAM. I've crashed on it and it works fine.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
do you have sram or shimano shifters? I know they are cross compatible but there is an advantage to using the sram der with sram shifters - they have the same mm ratio - er, something like that..... mine shift SOOO smoothly :) SRAM!
:eek: Hold up there! Not everything is cross-compatible. If you use Shimano shifters, you can't use a 9.0 derailleur. SRAM used to make a Di.R.T. derailleur, and may still, that works with Shimano shifters.

If you have SRAM ESP shifters, you have to use ESP derailleurs. If you have SRAM Attack/Rocket shifters, you can use an XT or a Di.R.T. derailleur.

Shimano Style Stuff (All intercompatible):
-LX/XT/XTR Shifters
-LX/XT/XTR Derailleurs
-SRAM Rocket/Attack shifters
-SRAM Di.R.T. Derailleurs

SRAM Style Stuff (All intercompabible):
-3.0/5.0/7.0/9.0/SL/X.0 Derailleurs
-3.0/5.0/7.0/9.0/SL/X.0 Shifters

YOU MAY NOT SWAP BETWEEN THOSE TWO LISTS!! However, you may mix and match anything within one of the lists.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Anyway, to answer the question, I used to use XT and XTR with a Shimano-compatible Gripshifter. On a whim, I swapped everything to ESP so I could use a 9.0 rear. I really didn't like it, and after breaking a 9.0 derailleur, I swapped my setup back to XT/XTR, which has continued to give me flawless performance....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I ran a 9.0 composite RD for 5 years with ZERO problems. I did not like the shifters and I felt they didn't react fast enough but... I proablably just wanted new stuff. If I was going for weight I would hit SRAM 9.0 RD again. Mine was bashed, and bashed... and cracked, and bashed and... NEVER failed.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is the area that cracked and… eventually it just fell off. The missing area greatly effects the tightness of the parallelogram but seemed not to bother the shifting. I rode it this way for at least a year without any problems. With the crashes I've had – I can’t blame the maker or materials…

Shimano is not the only maker of quality bike goods... they are just the ones with the biggest market share and largest advertising budget.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Serial Midget
This is the area that cracked and… eventually it just fell off. The missing area greatly effects the tightness of the parallelogram but seemed not to bother the shifting. I rode it this way for at least a year without any problems. With the crashes I've had – I can’t blame the maker or materials…

Shimano is not the only maker of quality bike goods... they are just the ones with the biggest market share and largest advertising budget.
true about the advertising thing, but shimano makes a quality product nonetheless. the only complaint I have with them is that it is impossible to get replacement parts for their "rebuildable" products, and if you can get em it's a rip off (XTR jockey wheel is $32 retail).

As far as the sram issue goes, that derailleur you posted was old sram... the'yr not nearly made to that standard anymore. Here is a pic of the new version. looks cheap to me (this is the one I had):

R

rstrange1

:dancing: I started with shimano. I hated it. I bought sram, I loved it. I wore out sram 9.o so I upgraded my shifters to 9.o SL this week. 9.o is the equivalent of LX anyway therin lies your confusion. My 7.o derailleur broke this week. It had a 2 year waranty so I sent it back to upgrade to a 9.o SL. (no plastic in 9.o or greater) Shimano has one year waranty because their stuff breaks within 2 years. Long story short, pay for the Sram and no you don't have to thank me later for the xpert advice. :dancing:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Two words: avoid it. Plastic rear deraileurs will break more easily than aluminum ones. That's been the experience of everyone I know that had them.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by rstrange1
I wore out sram 9.o so I upgraded my shifters to 9.o SL this week. 9.o is the equivalent of LX anyway therin lies your confusion... thank me later for the xpert advice.
Dude... in 1997 the Sram 9.0 Carbon was the top of the Sram line. So much for expert advice? Oh... your 9.0SL grips are actually heavier the 5.0... halfpipe or not.

Foxx

Chimp
Mar 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
I use a SRAM grip****er with an XT RD, and it works great. Shifts are fast and smooth even if your going 3/4 gears at a time.

Nothing beats gripshifters for for trail/singletrack riding, but I'm still not sold on their RD mechs. Although I would like to try out he new XO kits.

R

rstrange1

Dude... in 1997 the Sram 9.0 Carbon was the top of the Sram line. So much for expert advice? Oh... your 9.0SL grips are actually heavier the 5.0... halfpipe or not.

The halfpipes are quick, efficient easy to use, responsive and available unlike X.o right now. The weight is negligable. These are for real bike riders not weight weenies.I fubar'ed my wrist and couldn't justify the shorties anymore.

:rolleyes:

scintst

Chimp
Aug 20, 2002
Toronto
been real happy with the SRAM 9 on both my bikes - i broke one about a year ago (got a stick caught in the spokes/ rear der - would've broken any der, imo) and SRAM replaced it within 5 working days... not likely to happen with Shimano, i think. but i have ridden XT and can't complain about them either. both my current derailleurs are mated to sram 9 shifters - fast shifting, no worries there. i've bounced both off of rocks - seem tough enough to me.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have used both and they both work great. Both systems have their advantages. The real difference is either Trigger or Grip style shifters which is just a personal preferance.

I know my 9.0 ESP shifters and deraileur both work great, they are easy to setup and maintain and have never had a problem with them. Same for XT stuff.

I also have the 1st gen 9.0 brake levers mated to XT side-pulls. They have worked great for years now. Plastic or not that is good stuff.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The "P" knuckle is plastic aka composite. How do you know its durable if they are new? I don't doubt they are well made. I have fondled one and it is a thing of beauty. But the 9.0 SL did not work for me. I broke two in 6 months.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
EVERYONE will f*ck up derailleurs. Plastic or metal. My SRAM 9.0 held up for about a half a year...then it began sticking in the largest cog and not upshifting. (It'd stick in that position off the bike as well...something in the pivots was buggered.)

Similarly, I kill shimano rear mechs on a regular basis, too. A new LX derailleur body cracked on my 2nd day of DH, just hopping off a 1' rock...you never know! Deore rears have lasted me months.

Point is...Pick which shifting system you like. If you like twist, go with ESP SRAM stuff. If you like triggers, stay pure Shimano. The rear derailleur will die someday, whether it's composite or metal.

Buy a bunch of rear derailleurs at a time...the cheap ones.

If you never crash, buy the XTR/XO one at a time.

My $.02.

MD

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
I busted my 9.osl in 13 rides. It took 2 months but they sent me the NEW improved 9.o as a replacement. It looks very sexy on my bicycle. All I need are the sram hydros and my bicycle will be all sram/raceface with nothing else.

I also have ridden a 5.0 on my other bicycle all winter in -20 degree celsius weather as a bicycle courier in Toronto this winter. No problems with the grilon. I particularly appreciate being able to use lobster claw gloves. (Warmer)

9.o has always had an aluminum b knuckle. I dunno what yer all complaining about.

As for xt derraileurs I have seen over 20 of them cracked at the b knuckle and 3 of them missing their cage. They self-destruct for no reason all the time.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The only problems I have had with sram is poor quality jockey wheels on the very old models.

My 99 9.0sl is stronger than a planetx mech hanger and has been in the spokes a couple of times but due to the fact it is mostly made of plastic it tends to just bounce back.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Foxx
I use a SRAM grip****er with an XT RD, and it works great. Shifts are fast and smooth even if your going 3/4 gears at a time.

Nothing beats gripshifters for for trail/singletrack riding, but I'm still not sold on their RD mechs. Although I would like to try out he new XO kits.
I bought my Turner DHR off of a pro racer by the name of Rich Houseman. He's now riding shimano but he couldn't stop saying good things about the x.0. He had been running the same X.0 rear derailleur for an entire season of Norba/WC level of DHing. This was the first experiencee for me on SRAM and I'm compleely sold. I worked at a shop so I bout both setups to see which would work best. 9.0Sl w/ X.O for FR and XC and SRAM Attack w/ XTR/Ultegra on DH.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by swiss_less
The XT will be much more durable. I would choose XT over SRAM any day of the week.
XT never was and never will be more durable than sram. XT is so poorly made that they can snap off into pieces while shifting. Sram is more durable when it comes to taking an actual impact and as durable shifting.

While sram had a grilon B knuckle, they were getting too many manufacturing defects which lead to a plague of busted derraileurs. The place they were sending away to was responsible for the problem.

If you have a grilon b knuckle that was made with enough consistency, it will withstand anything. My 5.o got hit directly by a snowplow which spun around my bike and snapped off a front fender and mangled the rear wheel. The 5.o still works because it was one of the ones that was produced properly...they are not just made of plastic.

...And I thought I was just delivering a parcel.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I swear by my XT/LX combo, but my wife runs the Short'ys because its fit her smaller hands better. While we have had to relace her rear drive train and some rear spokes due to the wonders of plastic parts on high load areas, Sram has been OUTSTANDING with thier customer service, and I do love the 1:1 ratio for the shifting. Soooo easy to dial in, but its also what makes it tough to cross parts between the two systems.

My $.02.

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
Okay! I know that this topic was started along time ago, but I have to put in my two cents.

The attached pic is of my 1998 9.0 der. I beat the HELL out of it for 3.5 years (XC and Freeride). Notice that the broken part is aluminum. The composite is beat but standing strong. Too many people form their opinions on SRAM's products solely on the whole "plastic" aspect. They never bother to try it out.

On the same note, others judge Shimano products solely on the fact that they are the "big boys" in the bike world. The whole "Fight the power" attitude makes their decision.

The fact is that both companies make quality components. It all comes down to your personal preference. Give it all a chance. SRAM derailleurs are adjusted quite differently from Shimano's. If the SRAM derailleur isn't set up properly, it works horribly. Set it up right, and you will be impressed.

Derailleurs are like bones. How many times have you seen a friend wreck, and all you can think is "He definitely broke something", but he gets up and walks it off? How many times have you seen someone just fall over and they stay on the ground because they broke their collar bone?

Attachments

Originally posted by biketiger
Derailleurs are like bones. How many times have you seen a friend wreck, and all you can think is "He definitely broke something", but he gets up and walks it off? How many times have you seen someone just fall over and they stay on the ground because they broke their collar bone?

Those damn Shimano collar bones are always breaking!!;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Here's how I see it.

SRAM = Shift from littlest to biggest in one motion, which is great when there is a steep downhill followed by a steep uphill. BUT, you can't shift while braking. Oh... and for front, you can "trim" the derailer (depending on your rear gear)

Shimano = more precise crisp feel, can shift while braking, but only a few gears at a time (3 max?). AND, if you are on a REAL steep part, and need to brake and shift at the same time (for the flat or uphill coming up next) you can still shift and brake simultaniously. For front... mine always rubs in either the smallest or largest gear(depending on how it is set)

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Originally posted by -BB-
Here's how I see it.

SRAM = BUT, you can't shift while braking.

Shimano = can shift while braking, if you are on a REAL steep part, and need to brake and shift at the same time (for the flat or uphill coming up next) you can still shift and brake simultaniously.

YOU LIE!!!

Shifting while braking with sram is not a problem ever. Of course, who would want to? The responsiveness of sram is so much faster that when your course shifts drastically you don't get stuck trying to figure gears in single digits. You cannot tell me that you can use your thumb to shift and brake. You have a serious delay there and a distraction that can cause you to slow down on a real trail like the north shore..

Once you have disc brakes thinking about shifting and braking at once is not a hazard for the trail user. Shifting fast is very important. You don't have to fear if you are going to be able to use your brakes on time, you just do. Even in the city commuting I am so much more responsive and quicker than everyone else. I wouldn't trade my half-pipes for anything.

I have had my finger caught and smashed before while trying to shift and brake with shimano many times. Shimano is the dumbest for that.

The new so-called improved xtr aren't going to help you. Shimano did acknowledge the problem with the inconvenient index finger adjuster that time. Bawhahaha

Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja on 02-21-2003 01:28 PM

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
Originally posted by -BB-
Here's how I see it.

SRAM = BUT, you can't shift while braking.

Shimano = can shift while braking, if you are on a REAL steep part, and need to brake and shift at the same time (for the flat or uphill coming up next) you can still shift and brake simultaniously.

YOU LIE!!!

Shifting while braking with sram is not a problem ever. Of course, who would want to? The responsiveness of sram is so much faster that when your course shifts drastically you don't get stuck trying to figure gears in single digits. You cannot tell me that you can use your thumb to shift and brake. You have a serious delay there and a distraction that can cause you to slow down on a real trail like the north shore..

:confused: :confused:
How can you tell me my own personal experience with something is a Lie? Are you drunk already?
IN MY EXPERIENCE w/ SRAM, it is tough to brake, shift, and hold onto the bar at the same time when going down a rocky decent into a creekbed or something. I have SRAM on my XC bike b/c I like being able to throw it from one end to teh other.
On my DH bike, I'm running XT because I find it easier to shift while braking. I like BOTH systems for different reasons.
How is that a lie?

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
you have to learn your own technique. I seriously think that you didn't set your product up right if you think that shimano is the $hit. For some reason you never got your head around sram. What you speak of is a weakness of shimano not a strength.

Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja on 02-21-2003 01:46 PM

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
you have to learn your own technique. I seriously think that you didn't set your product up right if you think that shimano is the $hit.

Yes I mean it FREE DEORE 9SPD SHIFTERS AND A LX DERAILLEUR TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO TAKES IT
Dude... you ARE drunk.
I just said that I like AND USE BOTH.

:confused: :confused: You been drinking gasoline again?
Its making you beligernet.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
you have to learn your own technique. I seriously think that you didn't set your product up right if you think that shimano is the $hit. For some reason you never got your head around sram. What you speak of is a weakness of shimano not a strength.

Yes I mean it FREE DEORE 9SPD SHIFTERS AND A LX DERAILLEUR TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO TAKES IT
Well....so much for the sanctity of personal opinion! :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a boob too, I agree with BB here, I like the ability to brake and shift comfortably with the XTs, a feeling I never got from the Srams.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by VTinCT
Well....so much for the sanctity of personal opinion! :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a boob too, I agree with BB here, I like the ability to brake and shift comfortably with the XTs, a feeling I never got from the Srams.
He's just drunk ;)