Quantcast

SRAM rd return spring.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Here's the scene-- I would like to increase the return spring tension for my x5 rd. Now, before you start saying I'd be better off just upgrading the rd (I would really much rather do that anyway, just trying to be on a cheap budget fix for now), I like to tinker from time to time, and can see how easy it would be to remove/replace the spring. What I'm asking is if anyone knows the "strength/size" of the current spring so I can go in to my local store and get a stronger replacement.

Thanks for any input, and if you want to rib my cheapness, let it begin......

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I would pull it out and take it with you. Not only is the K value important (what you're asking for), but you'll want to make sure the free length, compressed length, OD, etc are compatible. You're going to want to go with all the same aforementioned criteria, but a larger diameter wind (to give you the increased K value).

Not sure how well stocked your hardware store is, but McMaster Carr has just about every spring you could ask for, if you know what you're looking for.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I would pull it out and take it with you. Not only is the K value important (what you're asking for), but you'll want to make sure the free length, compressed length, OD, etc are compatible. You're going to want to go with all the same aforementioned criteria, but a larger diameter wind (to give you the increased K value).

Not sure how well stocked your hardware store is, but McMaster Carr has just about every spring you could ask for, if you know what you're looking for.
Thanks for the input. I'll be heading to the local Lowes (wife wants new carpet in the bedroom for some silly reason), and I need a batch of o-rings, so if I get the spring off, it's coming in for a sizing/replacement....