Quantcast

ss conversion

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Why would you want to? Part of the beauty of SS is the simplicity. If you're switching gears you might as well keep the derailleur on and save yourself the hassle of having to dismount, get your tools out, and switch cogs.

Now, to answer your question, technically, you could do it, but you'd run into problems with your chainline. I assume you'd be running a single ring in the front, right? If the chain is not pretty close to straight between the front ring and rear ring, you tend to drop it. Another problem of manually moving the chain is that you'd need to readjust the tensioner too...not just a tension adjustment, but possibly a position adjustment. Your best bet is to find a gear that suits your style of riding and terrain and get rid of everything else. You'd be surprised at what your capable of riding without shifting gears.

14psisupra

Chimp
Jan 4, 2006
huffman, tx
im already running a bmx crank with single speed front, would this be a good choice of a tensioner, is there cheaper ones , and is one better then the other or are they all about the same,

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Do a search in the Singlespeed Forum. There are various threads on tensioners and conversions.

Tensioners only have one simple function: keep the chain tight. There usually isn't a lot of adjustment options besides wheel placement (left and right, for chainline) and tension. The one you link appears to be patterned after the Rennen Rollenlager which affixes to both the hanger and the wheel for added strength. I'm not sure I like the fact that the one you linked uses a separate piece to connect to the wheel. It looks kind of flimsy, but could work just fine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i could sell you a Rennen for $25 + shipping if you like.

ps. i think Rennen's are the best tensioner made. it's the only tensioner i've recommended.