Quantcast

St Helen's Ride with Skookum and Vern Fonk

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
8 hours is cake you guys! You sit at your computer almost that long every day. Listen to Skooks. The scenery is so awe inspiring that you won't even know it took you that long. Oly, you'll be raving about this ride back on the island when you get back to work. It's that good.

Wish I could go. Going to Miller Peak for a scenery fix one day though.

Drink a bunch of beer and get a big pile of pasta in your belly and hit Lewis river the next day. Could be the perfect Ying/Yang weekend ever.
Bare and blast zone Saturday/lush forest Sunday... Mmmmm, good.
Pictures, pictures! (Not too many incriminating ones of Oly though. It get's kinda gross after a while...)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Serial Midget said:
I cant believe you want money for what you just described...
Well.....it's kinda like selling a sofa, "This one holds a lot of sentimental value...people have humped on it, it has some stains, it squeaks all the time, and it kinda smells like kitty litter...in a bad way. But you can still sit on it...I wouldn't recommend lying down for any length of time cause you might end up with a rash, but it's serviceable. I'll let it go for 30 bucks!!"

I suppose it's kinda like that!! It works at least!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Did my hair turn red this weekend or what??? Im beaing beat on like a red headed stepchild.....

lol. Wonder if i could mount my office char to my bike.... now that would be cool.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
actually, if you read the link Skooks dropped up above, the 8 hours included hanging out and checking out the scenery. so it's not that bad I suppose.

it's not 8 full hours of seat/pedaling time.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Damn, I really wanted to do this one. Unfortunately, we only have one flight a week out of ACA, and it's on saturdays. Rest of the month is booked so I can't push the audit either. Guess I just have to read about you guys havin' fun! Enjoy the ride and views.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
oly said:
Did my hair turn red this weekend or what??? Im beaing beat on like a red headed stepchild.....

lol. Wonder if i could mount my office char to my bike.... now that would be cool.
Only if you kept the pivot and reclining mode... ;)

Psst: I'm going Dh'ing tomorrow....

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
exactly.....
it's not so bad. :evil:

don't be such a skarity kat!

Did everyone see that its 4300 feet of climbing and 25 miles? :eek: I climbed 3200 feet in an hour and 40 minutes over at Freund Canyon but I am very wary of BBTC members posting "epic" rides. Bring lots of spare parts and stuff because you might need it. Also there might be way more hike-a-bike than you think. Also figure out where the point of no return is, something I have started looking at, that also why almost all my rides go up and then down. Of course if I was a bit younger I would probably be the first on the trail. :thumb: Oh yeah two of the guys touting this ride (Skookum, Borneo) signed up for the Santa Cruz Hell Ride Contest :evil:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Remind me please... what language do you speek? I cannot translate. :confused:
He's in the Air Force and he hitches rides on big planes to ride up here. So i guess he's sayin it don't fall in his schedule or somethin. :dancing:

it's too bad really, but there are alot of other goodies up here vno, just look me up when you get up here.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
Did everyone see that its 4300 feet of climbing and 25 miles? :eek: I climbed 3200 feet in an hour and 40 minutes over at Freund Canyon but I am very wary of BBTC members posting "epic" rides. Bring lots of spare parts and stuff because you might need it. Also there might be way more hike-a-bike than you think. Also figure out where the point of no return is, something I have started looking at, that also why almost all my rides go up and then down. Of course if I was a bit younger I would probably be the first on the trail. :thumb: Oh yeah two of the guys touting this ride (Skookum, Borneo) signed up for the Santa Cruz Hell Ride Contest :evil:
No way dude i'm far from a hammerhead, i like the best of both worlds, and i'm not a racer so i don't ride like one, i just ride with them..... besides i'm totally off the bike for a while because of this knee, i'll be suckin just as much wind as the next guy. :)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
When I did Miller Peak about a month ago and it was in the 30's and snowing I miscalculated the point of no return of course I figured this was no epic-it wasnt. Still the route dropped me way down into Iron Creek and it was a fair climb to get back up and over a ridge to get back to my car. Make sure you take care of your knee, some times the best part of a ride is just finishing it, even if you turn back.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Serial Midget said:
Bump - why isn't this a sticky? I renamed it Monkeyfest and put Smack-talk in the title. :mumble:
When you edit a post and change the title it doesnt update...

besides you forget the standaed formula in regards to PNW ride planning. i think SR has it written down somewhere.... basically 20 people say there in and 4 show up... not much of a fest.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Bump - why isn't this a sticky? I renamed it Monkeyfest and put Smack-talk in the title. :mumble:
You have to either be a mod or live in New York to get a sticky. C'mon man you've been around long enough to know these things.... :rolleyes:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
PsychO!1 said:
Looks like I'm in....with possibly 3 or 4 others.
And the Ridemonkey 'ride plan ratio' does not apply. :-)
you gunna ride it with a single speed or put some gears on for this one?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
If he is on a SS we wouldnt see him till we got back to the car...

Friday Ft lewis? i am getting a wheel laced today and will be back on the bike... was thinking i needed another tour and this time could ride longer?? That is if the weather is good.....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
oly said:
Im still in, maybe with +1. im not planning the trip down... thats Travel Agent Tims job.... :)
ahhaha.

I am probably out. I never ride my bike anymore and while I'm pretty sure I could do it, I don't know how much fun I'd have pedaling up some giant mountain... :monkey:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i would like to start the ride at 9 at the Smith Creek Parking lot. So that means departing Seattle 5:30ish. We could meet up and convoy in Puyallup on the hill at the start of 161. We could also meet up with Serial Midget and Oly if they want to travel via 12 in Morton or Randle. And we could also meet up at the trailhead. Takes 3 and a half hours to get there from Seattle area, so breaking down the times from there, we'll make it work.

i'm hoping i can make it, i'm having "slight" doubts since my knee hurts when i go up and down stairs now, and i'm not sure how i'll do next week. Doc told me in 2 to 3 weeks i should be operating normally, and i'm feeling alot better after 1 week. But if i stall in my improvement by next Wednesday, it may mean my knee's worse than thought, and i may have to back out. That being said i don't think the ride HAS to have me lead, it's quite doable without me. But i'm taking it easy and not pushing it and i think i'll know alot more by Monday or Tuesday in how i feel. i'm more confidant than doubtful i'll make it since i seem to be progressing on schedule, but the body has it's own healing clock y'know....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
ahhaha.

I am probably out. I never ride my bike anymore and while I'm pretty sure I could do it, I don't know how much fun I'd have pedaling up some giant mountain... :monkey:
Just put a pole in front of your bike with a string danglin a cold frosty one in front of you, you'll be fine. :dancing:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
PsychO!1 said:
I have a map and horrible sense of direction....I could lead!!!

Hello???? Hellooooo???? Where did everybody go??? :-)
if pnj goes just leave behind a trail of frosty ones so he won't get lost. Ahh you'd probably just leave empties though.... :evil:

X-C Phantom

Chimp
Dec 9, 2004
Puget Sound
:think: Why the hell couldn't it be Sunday :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
I would love to take my mudhoney down there......

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I am in for sure as are two of my locals pals. You all have to make just to see my friend Joel's blinged out blingy bling Rocky Mountian XC with the very latest in XC bling. :D

Seriously though... while we don't technically "need" Skookum I don't see any reason why he shouldn't compromise his recovery while keeping us all entertained with cool popping sounds. :blah:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Maybe tim can drop us off, then meet us down at smith creek with a rocking BBQ with Warrant playing live onstage..... (that would give us motivation to get back up the hill... away from warrant...)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
How are you guys ever gonna b kool if you don't hit it with the smacktalk??? :nuts:

So is anyone actually going to do this ride? Myself and 2 others are in 100% - rain, shine, Skookum or no Skookum... plus we're bringing our hash pipes. :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
How are you guys ever gonna b kool if you don't hit it with the smacktalk??? :nuts:

So is anyone actually going to do this ride? Myself and 2 others are in 100% - rain, shine, Skookum or no Skookum... plus we're bringing our hash pipes. :blah:
i'm still a no decision, doctor told me 2-3 weeks and Friday will be 2 haha. Healing pretty good, each day better than the day prior, i'm still holding out hope, i really wanna go.....