Quantcast

St. Jude Marathon - Memphis

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Any Monkeys interested in it?

http://www.stjudemarathon.org/

My last marathon experience sucked, but the weather should be nice in December for this one. The bummer is that I'll need to start training next week. I was looking forward to a few more weeks of riding.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
laura said:
I don't think I'll aim for the marathon but I will be there for the half.
I thought you'd chime in.

Jen (my wife) is planning on doing the 1/2 too.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
my training has been going slow this summer. its too hot to put too many miles in for me. But I figure if I keep my mileage steady and work on speed, by the time it cools off a little I will have enough time to get in some solid distance training. 13 miles can't be too bad, right?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
laura said:
my training has been going slow this summer. its too hot to put too many miles in for me. But I figure if I keep my mileage steady and work on speed, by the time it cools off a little I will have enough time to get in some solid distance training. 13 miles can't be too bad, right?
I have run about 10, maybe 15 miles since the marathon in May. I have ridden a lot of road on my fixie and a good bit of street and urban. My mileage for the first few weeks is pretty low, so the heat shouldn't be too bad on me. Good luck.

MudGrrl said:
I did 13 two weeks ago. It sucked.

I have to do 15 this Saturday. I'm bringing a lot of water, and going early.

August is going to make or break me.
Have you tried Succeed Electrolyte Capsules? I know a lot of folks who swear by them when the weather gets hot.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
who's been training and how is it going. I have been kicking ass. Just trying to get my mileage up during our cold front. HAHAHA. I feel really strong. I am still only aiming for the half although I am thinking about going for the full.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I started yesterday with a steamy, sweaty 3 miler.

You should think about the full, especially if you are doing half distances right now. The biggest problem with training for the full is the time it takes for the long (15-18-20 mile) runs. That is the biggest reason why J won't do the full.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I am not close to doing half distances yet. I am just trying to get my weekly mileage so I can start a good training schedule without burning out or hurting myself. Time is an issue with me for long runs too. I enjoyed my longer runs during my first stint of marathon training but I think the longest I ran was a couple of hours. I can't imagine having to dedicate 4-5 hours for long training runs on the weekend. I'll just have to see how it goes.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I will be following a schedule once I get my mileage up to a steady 20-25 miles a week. Runner's world has got a marathon training schedule that I used my first go round. I really liked it a lot so I think I'll use it again.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I thought about using one of the plans from Trailrunner that I got at the last race, but it was going to be more time than I think I want to spend. I am using Hal Higdon's novice plan again only I am using the intermediate Saturday distances.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
DNA said:
Have you tried Succeed Electrolyte Capsules? I know a lot of folks who swear by them when the weather gets hot.
Nope. Not yet.
I just tried out the Clif Shots (they'll be at the course, so I thought I'd get used to them). Razz......omg, that stuff was so sweet and all sorts of wrong, I couldn't get a package down. The orange cream was good, though.

I am actually following a program through the Marine Corps Marathon (it's included with your registration). There are a few programs to choose from, but I picked the "Don't Die, Just Finish" option.

Right now, every other week is a long run. I did the 15 on Saturday, and this Saturday, I only have to run 5. I love the off weeks. I don't have to worry so much about sleep and nutrition as I do for the long weeks.

I am also at Runners World, and have learned a lot.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
btw

do you tell anyone you are training?

I haven't told anyone but my bf and family up until about a week ago, and now I am starting to tell other people. I figure it'll keep the pressure on me. I didn't want to tell anyone too early just in case I failed miserably (due to lack of training).

When I told OMGF that I had registered, he said "Good Luck. Have Fun. Don't Die." (I think I'm going to put that on a shirt for race day) I wasn't sure what to think about that, but now he tells people in kind of a random fashion...

we're at the climbing gym on Friday, talking to a really cool guy named John.

OMGF: Hey, yeah, we're climbing today
John: That's cool, how's your knee? (OMGF had knee surgery)
OMGF: It's not slowing me down, except for some wierd turns. I'm kinda tired, 'cause I'm doing two climbs for her one climb. She's running 15 miles tomorrow, so she's taking it easy today.
John: You have a race tomorrow?
Me: uh, no
OMGF: She's in marathon training

this is of course the part where I watch people's looks. I am a chunky monkey, and I want to see how many people don't think I can do it because I am not what people would consider to be a typical marathoner.

I know a guy who signed up for the whole Team In Training thing (you know, raise $1000 for AIDS and train with a group). He tried to raise money, but nobody gave him anything because he is rather large. He had to pay the money himself.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I haven't told anyone quite yet except for TN. I don't like to tell people because if I decide I'm not going to do it, then i've told all these people. I don't really have anyone who is interested in that kind of thing anyway. All my school mates think I am crazy for running, biking, weight training, eating well etc. My coworkers consider salad 'health food' and not just 'veggies that you should be eating anyway'. I don't really want to tell anyone. when it gets closer to time, I will start telling people because I may take up pledges for St. Jude.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I figure at this point, people will be asking me about my training, which will keep me on my training toes. I don't want to puss out now. Now I am just hoping that I will be injury free to continue training.

That whole salad and health food thing is funny. I have been in quite a few forums where this same discussion has risen, and it's interesting how people react when someone's eating a salad and 'health food' type stuff.

I at least have co-workers who are more active and don't think anything of salads..... I think I am fairly lucky to have these people around me. They still think I'm crazy.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MudGrrl said:
I don't want to puss out now. Now I am just hoping that I will be injury free to continue training.
SHAME! One of the best motivators in the world! :thumb:

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Oh yeah.

It's something I learned about in Basic Training. You didn't want to be the puss who couldn't handle it.

and... if all goes well, everyone knows what you did and thinks you are super awesome great.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The training for the marathon is about the doing of the suffering.
-The Jan

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Same here.

That's pretty funny.

I was also thinking about getting a shirt that says:

-Good Luck. Have Fun. Don't Die. (OMGF told me that when I told him what I signed up for).
-This Could Be You (get other people to try a marathon?)
-Just Trying to Survive
-Is it over yet?
-Not getting picked up by the bus
-Gimme Some Love

I once saw a T-shirt that said "I'm Faster than You" on the back. So, I had to pass her out of principle.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
well thee inspirational quote from the jan and the thought of mudgrrl running 15 in this heat got me up and out of bed this morning. I was going for four, but called it quits at three, running about a minute a mile slower than my recovery pace. It is so ****ing hot that running is painful. My legs felt like lead and I was soaking wet the whole time. But I finished and that makes me happy. I wish i had gone the whole four but I think I may have collapsed. I'm never going to run 13 miles.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
laura said:
well thee inspirational quote from the jan and the thought of mudgrrl running 15 in this heat got me up and out of bed this morning. I was going for four, but called it quits at three, running about a minute a mile slower than my recovery pace. It is so ****ing hot that running is painful. My legs felt like lead and I was soaking wet the whole time. But I finished and that makes me happy. I wish i had gone the whole four but I think I may have collapsed. I'm never going to run 13 miles.

Don't worry, you'll make the 13. This heat is freakin' unbearable and really stresses the body.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
laura said:
True, the heat is most definitely a detriment. I've been using a heart rate monitor these past few weeks, and have discovered that heat really makes the hr spike. If I can't maintain my normal pace, I slow it down to where I can complete my entire run. The speed will come...or so I've been told.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
reflux said:
The speed will come...or so I've been told.
Yeah, about the same time fall does. ;)

when i ran the other morning after temps had dropped into the 60's I came close to breaking a PR for my route. I figure by the time it cools off, I'll be ready to win this half marathon.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Hope you guys/gals running is going well. I went out this morning (with the puppy) and ran a super fast 3 miles. I've been focussing on speed and keeping a good strong pace for the last week and a half. Me and the pup usually creep but today we were both in training mode and blew it up. Just thought I'd share my victory.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
This morning was a "step back" long run for me (2 weeks ago I ran 8 miles on Sat, last week it was 9, today was 6), the weather was decent (73 degrees, 88 percent humidity) and I felt like CRAP today. Jeez did it suck. I was slow and I struggled for most of the run. I worked through it and managed to finish the last 1/2 mile strong.

It's easy to run when you feel good, but a real success is when you fight through on a bad day.

The Jan would be proud ... I truly did the suffering today.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
TN and I ran five today in the sun which blew. I am usually running in the dark which is nice. I am beat. It went ok. It was 77º with 88% humidity but thats nice than it has been. I rode my bike every day last week so my legs were feeling a little jello-ish but we finished good. I want to sleep all day now.

the jan would be totally proud of the dan.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
laura said:
TN and I ran five today in the sun which blew. I am usually running in the dark which is nice. I am beat. It went ok. It was 77º with 88% humidity but thats nice than it has been. I rode my bike every day last week so my legs were feeling a little jello-ish but we finished good. I want to sleep all day now.

the jan would be totally proud of the dan.
Y'all gonna make the Devil's Den race on Sept. 16/17?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
It's going to be a little tough to make that race, but I should make it. I think I will drive down on Friday. Ride the XC course with N8. I need to run 12 miles on Sat. morning. I should be able to get that in before DH practice. Race on Sunday.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hey guys,

I'm shooting to do a trail 30k (or 50k if my training goes well) in early December. The 50k is certainly an ambitious goal--my big worry is an overuse injury.

As of right now, my weekly mileage is between 18 and 24 miles. I have an easy 6 mile run that I do after work, either 3 or 4 days a week. Starting Sep 4, I will be adding to long(er) runs over the weekend. For the next month to 6 weeks, all of my mileage will be at or below 145-150 bpm. Note: if you're interested in "low heart rate training," pm me your email address, and I'll send you an easy-to-follow training plan that even I'm able to follow and understand.

the Reflux is being bringing the pain and soul crushing to the trails.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Hey guys,

I'm shooting to do a trail 30k (or 50k if my training goes well) in early December. The 50k is certainly an ambitious goal--my big worry is an overuse injury.

As of right now, my weekly mileage is between 18 and 24 miles. I have an easy 6 mile run that I do after work, either 3 or 4 days a week. Starting Sep 4, I will be adding to long(er) runs over the weekend. For the next month to 6 weeks, all of my mileage will be at or below 145-150 bpm. Note: if you're interested in "low heart rate training," pm me your email address, and I'll send you an easy-to-follow training plan that even I'm able to follow and understand.

the Reflux is being bringing the pain and soul crushing to the trails.
just be careful that you don't start any tornados with the vortex created by your pounding legs

that would be doing the bad

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
F#$k! It looks like I am done for the Memphis race.

I just got back from the doctor and i have a small tear in the cartilage of my right knee. It may heal without surgery, but I have to take the next two weeks off at least. Dammit.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
F#$k! It looks like I am done for the Memphis race.

I just got back from the doctor and i have a small tear in the cartilage of my right knee. It may heal without surgery, but I have to take the next two weeks off at least. Dammit.
from running?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
No, probably not the running.

It may have happened at the batting cages. It turns out that flip-flops are not the footwear of choice when taking swings. :banghead: :imstupid:

The running has irritated and inflamed the tear.