Quantcast

St. Paddy's recipes

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am looking for some recipes to cook this saturday. Our plan is to cook, eat & drink all day & then have a fire in the backyard.

I know we are going to cook corned beef & cabbage & maybe some irish stew bit we are at a loss as for what else to cook.

Any have any good recipes like those fried boiled eggs stuffed with sausage?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
colcannon...now that's an irish dish.
oh man...that one sounds good. We may have to give it a whirl.

Colcannon

Ingredients:
• 1 lb potatoes
• 1 lb kale (cabbage may be substituted)
• Onion, or leek or scallion (green onion)
• 1/4 cup milk
• Butter, salt and pepper

Directions:

Peel and boil the potatoes. Chop the kale or cabbage fairly small, discarding the large stems. Steam until tender, about 8 minutes. Gently saute the onion (if desired) until golden but not too brown. Mash the potatoes well, and mix with the kale and onion. Add the milk (not too much, until moistened but not wet), and the butter, salt and pepper to taste.

Bake in a medium oven for about 15 minutes.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
mdc said:
Bud Light with green food coloring....
Slay the blasphemer! :disgust1:

Why not Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's...and by the yard? :clapping:
See, I get the same effect if I follow these rules:

Rule 1: I place a Beamish on my lawn.
Rule 2: Look at it through the blades of grass. Looks green to me.
Rule 3: Down the hatch it goes.
Rule 4: Re-fill, repeat.

When in doubt, refer to rule 1.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
ummmm.......Black and Tans aren't really too popular in the Emerald Isle.
Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

Soda Bread:

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavor.

L

luelling

My old lady and I are doing a case of guiness and some Irish stew, here is the recipe:

2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme

salt and black pepper to taste

1.5 pounds of lamb shoulder blade chops, trimmed from bone and cut into pieces

1 large onion, peeled and sliced

2 large russet potatoes, pealed and sliced

1.5 cups water

COOKING:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, then mix herbstogether

Layer lamb, onions and potatoes in a casserole dish, sprinkling the herds between each of the layers and finishing with a neat layer of potatoes on top

Pour in the water, cover with a piece of parhment paper and put on a casserole lid. Cook for 2-2.5 hours

If desired, Irish Stew can, alternatively, be cooked slowly on top of the stove or in a slow cooker....serves 4

My old lady hates corn beef and cabbage, so this is our alternative....the case of Guiness makes everything taste better!! Its key!!

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
at least i have better taste in beer than most high schoolers and college students. too many people i know think bud light is the best beer out there. :dead:
i am a college student, and i HATE bud light...i'm more of a miller lite guy...i know there are much better beers out there...it's just that miller and bud are cheap...it could be worse...i could be drinking natty light or pbr or even worse, beer 30

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i am a college student, and i HATE bud light...i'm more of a miller lite guy...i know there are much better beers out there...it's just that miller and bud are cheap...it could be worse...i could be drinking natty light or pbr or even worse, beer 30
i either drink good beer or hard liquor. out of sheer principle i refuse to drink the cheap stuff.

L

luelling

I dislike Guiness draught, but love the stout. If you can't handle dark beer, start drinking piss.....dark beer is REAL beer. Bud, Miller, these are the beers you drink when you are f'ckd up from the dark and need something light to smooth the night out. Chick ****.....hell....even my wife won't drink that crap.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
luelling, for the stew, i think it would be an improvement to lightly dust the lamb w/ flour, and brown evenly, before putting in the oven.