Quantcast

Staccato 8

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Thats alotta hype for a pedal, clipless or regular - But if you look at the picture from a distance it looks liek one. Hopefully its like 8.3mm thick and has bearings that never need maintainence.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
They shoulda called it the Rorschach. I can't see what everyone else is seeing I guess.

-ska todd

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Whatever it is I bet it's slightly modified from something else, but just enough to avoid patent infringement, everyone will be getting in line to buy one/blow DW, then MRP will copy it and change it slightly to avoid patent infringement, then 100 threads on why MRP sucks will pop up on RM.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Whatever it is I bet it's slightly modified from something else, but just enough to avoid patent infringement, everyone will be getting in line to buy one/blow DW, then MRP will copy it and change it slightly to avoid patent infringement, then 100 threads on why MRP sucks will pop up on RM.
are you calling "the bike industry" the bike industry? ;)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Gearbox. If so, will it be wrapped in a frame or a BB mount type of dealio? I don't want a new frame...
But I'm curious to see where 8 gears are going to fit or or how the "expanding sprocket" is going to work...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I'm willing to put my mortgage and my wife (I own neither in reality) that it's an 8 speed gearbox.

I like to gamble thing's i don't actually own.
i'd like to think so, but that's a huge leap in manufacturing complexity / technology for the company. not to mention that it's at odds with their mainstay, which is selling chainguides. they had pedals in development a couple years back, i'd say that'd be much more likely, albeit boring:

The e.thirteen pedals hit a snag this summer when the pedal factory decided that the design was "too far from the normal" for them to concentrate on. Now we have been busy working to source components for the pedals inside the USA so that we can be sure that the pedals are built to our standards. Unfortunately, extraneous circumstances wont allow us to show our new pedals or several other projects that we worked hard on at Interbike 2004.

Its all good though. After the show, things will be calmer and I will be able to concentrate heavily on e.thirteen again. I can guarantee that the pedals will be available for 2005, and that we have some cool things planned in that respect. Its just a matter of time and persistance.

Dave

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98255

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet, E.13 is going to start selling two green alien/bugs fighting in a puddle. Looks like the one top is winning - see the lower guy's smashed head, the yellow puss, and the oozing red blood? Pretty cool, but too early to tell if I want one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks like a pedal to me. Probably some metal core with two plastic halves that bolt to the middle section. It's been done in BMX and it makes for super light and cheap pedals. The 8 probably refers to the replaceable pins. Each green section is a pedal half, the grey in the middle is the metal, axle coming out the back, and the red is probably a bolt/bearings.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^^^
E-13 cock and balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might be popular with the ladies, but I'm not buyin one.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
E13 doesn't even make a crankset, so IN THEORY, MRP would be even closer to a gearbox than E13(flame on!)...but I don't think it's within their capacity anytime soon. I was originally thinking that perhaps they just skipped learning wheelies(cranks) and jumped right into Super-flips(gearbox).
BUUUUT...there IS the 2013i to consider. Perhaps there's been a plan all along involving a gearbox of sorts?
Didn't SRAM just release some funky gear thingy as well? Hyped it all up then it turned out to be some useless contraption? I need to do some more surfing, I have sh*t for memory...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It looks like an exploded view of a pedal. So the pedal dave talked about 4 or so years ago might actually be here.

Do I get a prize?