Quantcast

Star Wars: Force Awakens Thread (Spoiler Alert)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now there is gravity in space. Dropping bombs and cannon arc. Seriously?

Saw it, was mildly entertained, think it was a bit better than the last, if not somewhat searching for a good plot most of the time. Seems like the movies are moving more towards cheap thrills and stunts to distract you from this.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MIL got me IMAX 3D tickets to yesterday as a break from baby. I enjoyed it.
Couple things I caught:
- in the opening credits, RESISTANCE was how they first wrote it, but then later it was Resistance. Huh? Any thoughts given the current political environment is calling itself RESIST, not resist?
- The little kid at the end with the broom.
- When Finn got the blanket for Rose

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it was fine. the shoulder brush thing was too much though. recycling the “finding yourself in a dark place when you’re training with your master” bit was also kind of lame. agree with jm - despite being long, it felt like a lot of plot lines that could have been further developed and enriched that were just strung together..

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
it was fine. the shoulder brush thing was too much though. recycling the “finding yourself in a dark place when you’re training with your master” bit was also kind of lame. agree with jm - despite being long, it felt like a lot of plot lines that could have been further developed and enriched that were just strung together..
I came across this on Reddit and it explains all of the plot holes as one large plot hole:
What we are shown is this: After Holdo's kamikaze attack Hux arrives at the throne room in the right moment to witness Kylo Ren regaining consciousness. Kylo looks around and ask him where Rey is. Hux says she has already ran away.

So she woke up earlier, right?

Imagine the scene: Rey wakes up in the burning throne room, still dizzy from the blast Snoke's Star Destroyer suffered seconds ago. She looks around, and sees Kylo lying on the ground not far away. She sees that he is still breathing. That he is alive. Absentmindedly she picks up her lightsaber from the ground only to realize moments later that her lightsaber was destroyed during the battle - what she is holding now is Kylo's one. She shakes her head and looks around again. To the throne, to the lightsaber in her hand and to the unconscious Kylo on the ground. And we see that she realizes that she could end this right now. She could kill Kylo Ren. She could kill him easily. This is what she wanted to do moments ago and now she has the chance. Maybe she could even take his place as the leader of the First Order. At this point she is certain that Kylo is now irredeemably evil and leaving him alive will only breed suffering and despair. She steps to him, switches the red lightsaber on and raises it, ready to strike him dead. And at this point we can see a flashback to Luke doing the exact same thing. Rey suddenly realizes that she is about to do what she despises her old master for. She throws the lightsaber to the ground with disgust, turns away and starts running.

The details may have been different, but the point is the same. When she wakes up, Rey faces the same dilemma Luke had earlier. The greatest moral dilemma of the entire story. Should we destroy evil if we have the chance to? And we aren't shown how she, our supposed main character handles this. The more I'm thinking about it the more and more I'm convinced that including this 30 second scene would radically change the entire movie.

• This would make us understand, how a good character like Luke can seriously consider killing someone who isn't able to defend himself. Through Rey's story we would be able to see Kylo as a human being, who is also so far beyond redemption that killing him seems to be the only option. This way we could envision how Luke came to the same conclusion years ago. This would make Luke's past actions relatable. And he wouldn't look like a moron anymore.
  • This would make Holdo's secrecy, Poe's mutiny and Finn's convoluted adventure becoming an integral part of the story. As all those things were necessary for Holdo to sacrifice herself, leading to this very scene. Actually if you take away any other elements of the story, this scene doesn't happen. If Poe is not reckless at the beginning, he doesn't get demoted. If Leia is not blown to and returns from space, Holdo, doesn't take her place, and Finn doesn't get the tracker device, and doesn't meet Rose and come up with a plan. If Holdo doesn't treat the demoted Poe like a bastard, they don't end up with the Canto Bight plot. If Finn and Rose find the trustworthy code-breaker guy, they wouldn't be betrayed. And if they wouldn't be betrayed, Kylo couldn't have the monologue on killing them all, and Holdo wouldn't have to sacrifice herself.
  • Rey's failure to kill Kylo would even resonate with what Yoda mentioned on the importance of failures. Also it would make Rey understand and forgive to Luke.
  • And last but not least: This would close Rey's story arc for this movie. In the beginning she doesn't understand why Luke wants the Jedi to end, and especially not, why he considered killing his own nephew. Now she does. She grew as a character. She's much less naive now, and now she sees how hard it is to make the right decision at the crucial moment.
So all those seemingly stupid decisions and nonsensical plot devices point toward a scene which isn't even in the movie. And on top of that, leaving this scene out leaves our main character's story unresolved. She doesn't face her master's moral dilemma. She learns nothing. She doesn't change.

I just can't wrap my head around it.

tl;dr: Rey surely faced the same moral dilemma Luke did and it is not shown on screen.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
watched rogud one again....still the best...

after that....new hope....empire strikes back....force awakens...last jedi....

fuck the empire strikes and the ewoks...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
At least in rogue one when they attack the shield gate there are hundreds of enemy fighters. In TFA and TLJ it's always like 3, from massive ships. The massive star destroyer that Poe escaped from in TFA evidently only had two laser cannons, total, and the most they could scrounge up to attack the Rebels from massive multiple star destroyers in TLJ and from star killer was like 3 tie fighters. My brother said R1, ANH, TESB, and TLJ, in that order. I like RoTS tho.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At least in rogue one when they attack the shield gate there are hundreds of enemy fighters. In TFA and TLJ it's always like 3, from massive ships. The massive star destroyer that Poe escaped from in TFA evidently only had two laser cannons, total, and the most they could scrounge up to attack the Rebels from massive multiple star destroyers in TLJ and from star killer was like 3 tie fighters. My brother said R1, ANH, TESB, and TLJ, in that order. I like RoTS tho.
Last Jedi picks up immediately after force awakens. Given the big battle at the conclusion of tfa (and destruction of starkiller base) it's not unreasonable that there's a lack of shops on both sides.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
adult star wars fans.....jaded pricks.
:stupid:

Finally went and saw Last Jedi with the wife last night. I thought it was rad. Holdo and the last jump with the Mon Calamari Cruiser, that shit blew my mind. Some of you seem to have gone to this movie expecting Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, but with light sabers or some shit. Could it have been better? Sure, but it's Star Wars. Don't over think it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:stupid:

Finally went and saw Last Jedi with the wife last night. I thought it was rad. Holdo and the last jump with the Mon Calamari Cruiser, that shit blew my mind. Some of you seem to have gone to this movie expecting Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, but with light sabers or some shit. Could it have been better? Sure, but it's Star Wars. Don't over think it.
need to see again...just because..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
More in your face special effects and stunts and less story telling.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
so there was another trailer for solo before infinity war.....still looks fucking cool to me....if they are worried about the actor playing solo can not act...as a comparison....listen to how horrible tom hardy sounds in the venom trailer....