Quantcast

Started my 3/4 sleeve

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been tinkering with this idea for the last year and a half or so... ocean themed sleeve. Work by Dawn Kelley at Lucky Lotus in Rochester, NY.

3/2012 edit: links were dead. gonna have to find the pics and upload them again

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, i'm a packaging engineer. Literally. In 2 weeks I'm going to work for Hasbro designing toy packaging. I just really love the ocean, and scuba diving.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
Hey Kranked! When we used to get garbage parts BITD, we always called 'em, "Hasbro". As in, "those bars are so Hasbro dude..."
You kind of look like one of Santa's elves come to think of it:
"but I want to be a dentist..." Congrats on the job:happydance:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey Kranked! When we used to get garbage parts BITD, we always called 'em, "Hasbro". As in, "those bars are so Hasbro dude..."
You kind of look like one of Santa's elves come to think of it:
"but I want to be a dentist..." Congrats on the job:happydance:

yea well, you used to do no-footers to flat :busted:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
That is going to be so cool looking when its done. It already looks awesome. I'm getting my first tattoo in March for my birthday. The place im going to has a 5 month waiting list. Mine is going to be my whole shoulder and a little on the back and chest. I cant wait.

www.OReillysTattoo.com

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
update! got another 4 hours of work this weekend...

<dead links>

The scuba diver is on the inside of my arm, right by my armpit. That's not going to be the final color on the octopus either. Dawn is gonna go over it again to cover up the final detail lines so it won't look like scales, but give a nice undertone / texture.

Last edited:

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey, that's badass. I have always wanted an reef themed sleeve. That octopus is sweet, and will be even better once finished. How long do you think it will take to finish? Mine would probably center around the sea turtle though, that is my favorite animal. Awesome work man. I cant wait to see it finished.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow, nice :thumb:

Can you do me one favor when you go to Hasbro... think about us parents who have to open those fvcking things...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Nice Jon! it's really coming along!

Hey, that's badass. I have always wanted an reef themed sleeve. That octopus is sweet, and will be even better once finished. How long do you think it will take to finish? Mine would probably center around the sea turtle though, that is my favorite animal. Awesome work man. I cant wait to see it finished.

The turtle is great. I have a crappy turtle on my arm, that I regret. I only have 2 tattoos that I regret, that is one! The kids are always asking questions about "the turtle" :disgust1: I love the symbolism of the turtle in native american cultures, which is why I did it originally!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
squeaver - i'm guessing its gonna take around 40 hours to finish (i'm currently at 8) but I'm kinda thinking that estimate is gonna go up. and yes the sea turtle is way sweet. I'm thinking about modifying the design a bit to incorporate another turtle or 2.

Jackson - we do keep that in mind, but that tends to work directly opposite against product security (against pilferage) so its hard to find a balance. And PS i'm working on packaging Star Wars and Spiderman toys. We have some AWESOME stuff coming out soon. Same with the Transformers line, but I'm not on that one.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I just went in today to get a tat removed......should take five or so sittings...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dang, thats alot. But with that much time comes some sweet work for sure. Iv never had multiple sessions before. Do you just pay an upfront price for the whole job? Or pay at each sitting?

I am paying by the sitting. Normally my artist charges by the hour, regardless of number of sittings. We don't know up front how long its going to take, just a while when working with larger compelx pieces like this. DHS had his backpiece done by the same artist as me (Dawn Kelley, Lucky Lotus Tattoo). They estimated it would only take a bit over 100 hours, ended up taking something like 160 hours to finish.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/DHSmilky/milky.jpg
that doesn't show the lower portion of it either.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Good start ... I look forward to seeing it finished.

(and DHS backpiece is awesome)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
update! got another 4 hours of work this weekend...

http://www.derpbrap.com/img/DSC00879.JPG
http://www.derpbrap.com/img/DSC00880.JPG

The scuba diver is on the inside of my arm, right by my armpit. That's not going to be the final color on the octopus either. Dawn is gonna go over it again to cover up the final detail lines so it won't look like scales, but give a nice undertone / texture.
Wow man that looks amazing so far! I love the coloring and the diver looks awesome. Almost a stenciled look to it.

I got my shoulder started, only 2 hours for the first session (just the outline). Its probably going to be another 4-6 hours for the shading and coloring.

These were taken the night I got it done. Its been 2 weeks now.

From the front:

Looking straight at my arm:

And finially on my back:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm looking forward to seeing it finished too! hopefully by the end of the summer. because i'm living in rhode island and my artist is in rochester, i'm only getting work done like once a month. with race season starting up soon its gonna be tricky to work it out.

and yea phil i'm wearing long sleeves at work. i knew that going into it so i'm ok with it. but our dress code at work basically doesn't exist. just no jeans with holes. and plenty of other people have tattoos, so i'm sure i could get away with it if i really wanted. just don't wanna push my luck. i also take my piercings out too; just trying to maintain a good level of professionalism. you should get a cheddar cheese wheel tattoo :rofl:

heckler: that piece is gonna look SICK when its done. whats the color scheme gonna be?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Not positive on it yet. For the muscles on the horses its going to be a brown/red. The roses I think are going to be a deep red and the leaves/thorns also a dark green. This one isnt going to be that bright, but I am thinking of something else for the future thats going to be full of bright colors.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
had another sitting this weekend. the new work really transforms the piece over the last sitting. i'm super stoked on how its coming along.

Last edited: