Quantcast

steamboat springs area... xc,road,hike... info?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I decided that this trip will be I-70 to Rifle, north to Meeker (nice 60 mile road ride starting there heading to nowhere), then go hiking (maybe mtb'ing?) near DNM, go east on 40 to Steamboat...

I'm only decent (blue trails?) with technical and don't mind walking sections. But I can ride for hours on end.

Any info on that area would be appreciated.

tia!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
LordOpie said:
So I decided that this trip will be I-70 to Rifle, north to Meeker (nice 60 mile road ride starting there heading to nowhere), then go hiking (maybe mtb'ing?) near DNM, go east on 40 to Steamboat...

I'm only decent (blue trails?) with technical and don't mind walking sections. But I can ride for hours on end.

Any info on that area would be appreciated.

tia!
Steamboat resort has some really nice trails on it. When I was there I did some fireroad up to the top of the mountain and then took Pete's Wicked down to something else......... it was a really fun morning of exploring. I do know that they apparently don't have Epic-style rides around that don't involve alot of road work. At least that was the info we were given.

-S.S.-

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Steamboat does have some great XC mountain biking trails. Valley View, Creekside and Zig Zag are you best bets. Valley View is the best, which takes you through very lush 'jungles' with aspens, ferns and pretty flower thingys.

If you don't want to pay for the gondi, ride up Zig Zag to mid mountain do Pete's wicked trail, you won't be disappointed. Then head down Elkhead to Moonlight to Valley View back to the base. You should be spent.

Afterwards, head over to Stawberry Park for some natural hot springs pools (100% Naked after dark, not that there's anything wrong with that...you can even BYOB!).

Steamboat is a great town with a great mountain. It's a shame how they've taken the anti-DH stance. But, they didn't used to have a terrain park during the ski/board season. Now they have a super bad-a$$ one. So maybe time will tell?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SylentK said:
Steamboat does have some great XC mountain biking trails. Valley View, Creekside and Zig Zag are you best bets. Valley View is the best, which takes you through very lush 'jungles' with aspens, ferns and pretty flower thingys.
kick ass, sounds good. I like jungle places.

SkaredShtles said:
Yeah! Last time I was at Strawberry a topless chick tossed me a beer! SCORE!! :D

-S.S.-
and was said topless chick your wife? :D