Quantcast

Steel and single speed?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
LOL, just came here to post that link. You beat me to it. Sick bike, only beat by the SIlencer IMO.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Impressive box section work. Love seeing home made frames. I can see this one lasting a good 10 years.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't speak grrman but it looks dope. I'd lower the forward shock mount so it has more/any progression and then boogie. Air shock on a steel single speed frame? I bet it's silent though.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
image.jpeg

So I think this is machined plates in the middle for the pivot, connected with manipulated sheet, outside corner welded and then ground smooth. Any other guesses? cause holy shit that is rad and I want to know how to do it!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
View attachment 121079
So I think this is machined plates in the middle for the pivot, connected with manipulated sheet, outside corner welded and then ground smooth. Any other guesses? cause holy shit that is rad and I want to know how to do it!
Bingo. Pretty sure that is the construction. Have seen similar methods before.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
i haven't moved the seat height on my dh bike in over 10 years...

You have been riding the same dh bike for 10 years? I knew you were 'core but damn dood.:rockout:

And, I move mine for almost every run. Trails down teh hill are from right next to the lift to a mile away.
I like me knees too much to ride across the top with a low seat. I could almost use a dropper, but the quick release will do.

Yup old and fat has its upsides - nobody gives me a hard time for riding a cross-country DH bike.:busted:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
View attachment 121079
i would say so yeah.. you can see the heat from the welding..especially near the cnc pocketed area/ main pivot.
you can do that in 2 different programs on a vertical milling cnc( side one then side two ).. which is what i have at work.

what am i doing with my life

:thumb:very... very cool none the less.. too bad this bike will never feel the radness off dropper posts.........

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I can't speak grrman but it looks dope. I'd lower the forward shock mount so it has more/any progression and then boogie.
looks like it's designed to support the problem of blasting through the air shock mid stroke then lessening progression to reduce the final ramp up.

That new age San An looks cool too.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
i would say so yeah.. you can see the heat from the welding..especially near the cnc pocketed area/ main pivot.
you can do that in 2 different programs on a vertical milling cnc( side one then side two ).. which is what i have at work.

what am i doing with my life

:thumb:very... very cool none the less.. too bad this bike will never feel the radness off dropper posts.........
That's rad you have access to those machines! good point about the heat in the pocket.
Some parts like this transcend what one would expect from a certain material or process, and look so fucking awesome.:drool:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unrideable VPP, XC steep head angle, unrideable high BB, 26" wheels that can't roll for sh!t and a 10 year old Intense that hasn't cracked/wasn't misaligned??? Suuuuure! Do you even ride, bro? ;)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

I had a M3 1 of 2 ever made with a 1.5HT. It was VPP and rode fine...wish I never sold that thing. The bike was made for Manitou and had MANITOU as its serial number/name.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I looked at that one too! Definitely some interesting concepts put into action- makes me curious how it would feel to have so little unsprung weight... Just don't break the chain!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had a M3 1 of 2 ever made with a 1.5HT. It was VPP and rode fine...wish I never sold that thing. The bike was made for Manitou and had MANITOU as its serial number/name.
There were some of those out there (10-20) because the team was riding M3s with 1.5 HT before moving to M5/M6 prototypes. These had TEAM as frame numbers, so Intense must have made some additional ones for Manitou. I once was trying to buy one of those, Kovarik backup frame with I think special geometry, but the seller wanted an outrageous price, which in the end it was not worth to me. But I have an M6 Evo frame floating around. :cool:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah it was Bob's bike from Manitou. I think they had 2 of them. My 2002 DHR was better but hey I needed another bike and this came up for like $3850 so I bought it then sold for the same. The kid I sold it to must have dumped $3K in parts on it and was asking $6000 for it for a long while.