Quantcast

steel tubing for downhill frames

Jun 2, 2004
After some research I come across steel tubing such as reynolds(alot of hype about a model called 853) columbus etc.

Their range of wall thicknesses are rather thin (and were designed to be - lightness)
I have a feeling these arent meant for downhilling, are these just road bike tubes?

To make a downhill steel frame what kinda tubing should I be specifying?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i'm working on welding a hardtail, but if your welding a DH frame, kinda scary u don't even know wat kind of tubing to use, ask brooklyn machine works wat they use, seems to work damn well

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Check with henry james (www.henryjames.com). He stocks all of the True Temper tubes. They make a tube comparable to 853 called OX platinum. These tubes are hard to work with because they are REALLY hard to cut. If you are building a bike that doesn't have any stress in the middle of the tube (like a pivot) you can use a heavier wall butted tube. True Temper makes a Versus and a Versus HT that come in heavier wall thicknesses.
Straight gauge 4130 is great. It's cheap, easy to work with and comes in lots of sizes. You pay a weight penalty though.