Quantcast

Steel...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
What do you go with?

We have a nice set of Henckles Pro series at home. I'm debating getting a high quality travel set for roadtrips. Currently we have two 'utility' knives that are anything but - we end up using our hunting knives for the fine stuff because they're maintained better than our crappy travelers.

Was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.com/Shun-Classic-3-Piece-Boxed-Flat/dp/B000139H82/ref=sr_1_49/104-6688413-1998336?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1183406990&sr=1-49

What do y'all think? (obviously I'm getting something that comes with a case so the knives are better cared for than currently)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wow, you must do a lot of traveling -and- cooking?

When my wife cooks not at home, it's usually at her mom's house, who has nice stuff, so I can't really comment.

But that looks like a nice set to take with you. I guess wherever you're going, you don't have access to good gear? I mean, I know chefs do like their own knives since they sharpen them in their own way.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
We road trip - meaning, we have a discreet chevy astro all fixed up inside to be a camper (right now dismantled for steve's work). We did 4 months on the road driving around the US and Mexico a year ago...and we still do a week or two at Smith rocks in OR or driving down to Utah, or Wyoming...we live in the car and take most of our supplies with us because where we camp is generally wilderness.

So ya...nice knives will be a plus. We cook in the van (or outside if the weather permits) - and making tasty meals can be a challenge when you're smushing your tomatoes instead of slicing.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Cool link! Thanks :). And I chose Shun primarily because of how highly rated they were. The traveling knives are meant as a gift for my guy, who does our 'traveling' cooking, since I do most of our cooking at home, and traveling is a vacation for him while my work goes with me.

But that's also why I posted here...curious to see what everyone prefers and why.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have one Global blade. It's all I reallly need. the only thing I cut are veggies really....

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Well, i've already told you my personal biases about knives, but the the one thing we've not discussed is the theft situation..

you've been broken into more than once and something like that Shun set would likely be tossed into the big-bag-o-loot by the bastards.

So, how willing are you to replace it?

I travel with a combination of decent and replaceable - at home is where the money stays.

I admit, all bias.

Besides, what about a really good cutting board? That's half the battle right there...

[i prefer Epicurean boards...]

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Steve-o made me a beautiful cutting board that's oiled and fabulous. :)

As for theft - when we're away for a month, the stuff at home is what we fret about. The camper van is impossibly hard to break into - As we found out last year when I locked the keys in the Van (I was in big doodoo for that!).
Fortunately, a professional (car thief) was also staying at the campground and he gave us a hand - they had to manually peel back the rubber lining holding in the rear windows - partially remove one of the rear windows enough to get an arm inside and open the back doors (which can't be opened from the outside). Total labor time - about 4 hours.

The only way to bust into our car is to bust the windows -and we're never far enough away for that to make sense. :) :thumb:

My honda on the other hand....I have little reason to ever even bother locking the doors - it's not like they do any good.