Quantcast

Steer tube length

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I just bought a new fork for my specialized big hit, I also bought a direct mount stem and have everything mounted up, but I didn't want to cut off too much steerer tube as I am hoping to upgrade my frame next year (possibly new, most likely another used bike, so not sure what I will end up with, target frames are a V10, M9, or 951, possibly a demo, etc) so I have a few bikes in mind.

The last thing I want to do is cut too much steer tube off. I don't mind using a couple spacers and a cap and having a little stick up....

The big hit will be either returned to stock and passed down to my GF, or returned to stock and sold, so the new fork will most likely transfer to next years frame...

How short would be the shortest you guys would recommend?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i keep mine as long as possible (without being stupid) so i can sell it or move it to a new bike. i usually have several spacers above (or below) the stem

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
i keep mine as long as possible (without being stupid) so i can sell it or move it to a new bike. i usually have several spacers above (or below) the stem
That's my plan, however, having never purchased a used fork, or sold one, or moved one to a different bike I was curious what would be considered "short", I don't mind leaving it a little long and using some spacers.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's my plan, however, having never purchased a used fork, or sold one, or moved one to a different bike I was curious what would be considered "short", I don't mind leaving it a little long and using some spacers.
too short would be cutting it just below the top crown since you are using a direct mount stem. maybe put a small spacer below the top crown and a few above the crown. take a look at the HT length of the bikes youd be possibly be looking at and go from there. dont forget to include headset stack height when looking at HT length

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I just finished setting it all up, where I have it now I can cut it at just over 8", doesn't stick up to far, unless I decide to lower the upper crowns further....then it may be a little long.

I am cruising the classifieds to see what most forks are and making sure I leave a little room for error before cutting and installing the star nut

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A trip to hospital with busted ribs because of a long steerer would be silly so don't leave it too long.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
A trip to hospital with busted ribs because of a long steerer would be silly so don't leave it too long.
duely noted.

I fisnished it up last night, I could probably trim it down a little, but I want to ride a few times and make sure I don't want my bars higher, lower, etc. It's not sticking up past the stem at all (I should re-word that, what I mean is it doesn't stick up or over the bars/stem to the point where it would change the re-sale value of my ribs!!), but I do have a little room to play if necessary.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
you are already there, but for future folks reading this, on a dual crown fork, if you are worried about steer length, put your lower crown as low as it can be run (i.e. 8.1" of gap), put your top crown as high as it can be run, and then cut the steer so there is 5-8mm of steer exposed above the crown, so you can use 1 single headset spacer and top cap.

i really don't understand why steers come longer on any fork that is drilled for an integrated stem.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
i really don't understand why steers come longer on any fork that is drilled for an integrated stem.
I think its because not everyone runs or can afford the integrated stem/bar option. Meaning that if some guys still run the smaller dia.stem/bar combo, why would they spend money on new 31.8 combo when what they have still works. I for one love the integrated stem on DC forks. my.02

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think its because not everyone runs or can afford the integrated stem/bar option. Meaning that if some guys still run the smaller dia.stem/bar combo, why would they spend money on new 31.8 combo when what they have still works. I for one love the integrated stem on DC forks. my.02
I don't want to make an "if you can't afford it you shouldn't play" comment.

But if you are looking at adding a $500 (used) or $1500-2000 (new) fork to your bike and can't afford an extra $100-200 to swap to the direct mount stem and larger diameter bars you probably shouldn't be playing....plus not using a direct mount stem LOOKS ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyway I re-used the stock top cup, bought a newer lower cup, put 1 small spacer (3-5mm ish?), then the top crown. Above that I have a small spacer, and a 10mm spaver....I am sure I could cut it down further, but it doesn't stick up very high so it will be fine functionally and give me room to play around with it until I know exactly where I want it.

I like the direct mount stem, keeps the bars straight, overall I don't have any complaints other than wishing I could afford a new frame, I rode my buddies 951 and it was so sick, I really want one.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
they make $5 shims to fit 25.4 bars into 31.8 stems.

integrated stems are simply a superior product to clamp-on stems. they just are. you can buy integrated stems for $50 retail.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I'm good over here, I run a DM stem and bar combo. I was just giving a reason and responding to your post as to why companies might still make long steerer tubes.