Quantcast

Stem Cell Bill

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
"The simple answer is he thinks murder's wrong," said White House spokesman Tony Snow. "The president is not going to get on the slippery slope of taking something living and making it dead for the purposes of scientific research."
However making live Iraqi's dead, is A-Ok.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Transcend said:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060718/D8IUKQ180.html

Wow, some president you guys have there. 63-37 majority, and he still plans on vetoing it. Love how he is the voice of the country. This just goes to show he is purely there for his own personal advancement and doesn't care what the country he is supposed to be governing wants.
Like Tony Snow said, "The president is not going to get on the slippery slope of taking something living and making it dead for the purposes of scientific research."

Maybe Georgie boy would be more willing to take away soldiers' families rights and just use the dead fighting mens' cells instead....and, of course, the Iraqis.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Their darkies of another god. He wants nothing to do with them, duh. They don't have pink little American pure bred babies.

Next plan is a fence around Iraq, and then he'll tell the Iraqis they have to fund it themselves.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:

Wow, some president you guys have there. 63-37 majority, and he still plans on vetoing it. Love how he is the voice of the country. This just goes to show he is purely there for his own personal advancement and doesn't care what the country he is supposed to be governing wants.
It's amazing how, from issue to issue, people are either in love with, or totally against the democratic process we have. Dont you think that's sort of the point of a veto?
But let me guess, if you agreed with him on the issue at hand, you'd be all for it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We need to draw the line somehwere. All you liberals would be crying if they tried to keep Bush's brain alive inside a jar.

Fortunately the technology required to make really really small jars will take centuries to develop.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BurlyShirley said:
It's amazing how, from issue to issue, people are either in love with, or totally against the democratic process we have. Dont you think that's sort of the point of a veto?
But let me guess, if you agreed with him on the issue at hand, you'd be all for it.
No the veto is there to keep the congress in check to make sure it's actions do not get out of whack with the public's. That is why 4 more votes yay makes Bush inelligible to Veto. Clearly with that slim of a majority, the public and congress have spoken.

This is purely abuse of power, nothing more, nothing less.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
No the veto is there to keep the congress in check to make sure it's actions do not get out of whack with the public's. That is why 4 more votes yay makes Bush inelligible to Veto. Clearly with that slim of a majority, the public and congress have spoken.

This is purely abuse of power, nothing more, nothing less.
How is it abuse of power? People elected him just the same as they elected congress. He is acting within the rules provided. There several examples during US history that popular opinion was out and out wrong. Regardless of whether you agree w/ Bush or not, you have to see that such power is necessary.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Well this will be his first one in 6 years. So I won't call it an abuse of his power. But I don't agree with his choice.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's a dumb thing to do and will put American biotech industry years behind Europe and Asia, which when you consider how technology is built on patents these days may be an irreversable set back. Once we start to get good at this stuff and patent all the basic techniques, you're screwed.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So why isn't IVF being outlawed?

My god, we're creating people that we are just throwing in the trash! Someone get Bush on this right away...

You can't fault George for his logic here...rock solid.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
"The simple answer is he thinks murder's wrong," Tony Snow said.

"The president is not going to get on the slippery slope of taking something living and making it dead for the purposes of scientific research."
Do I even need to point out the many, many things that are wrong with this statement? What a tard.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Changleen said:
Do I even need to point out the many, many things that are wrong with this statement? What a tard.
If you pull out the ole' thesaurus, you'll find this is one of the entries for simple:

Main Entry: simple
Part of Speech: adjective 4
Definition: feeble-minded
Synonyms: amateur, asinine, backward, blockheaded, brainless, credulous, dense, dim-witted, dopey, dull, dumb, fatuous, feeble, foolish, green*, gullible, half-witted, idiotic, ignorant, illiterate, imbecile, inane, inexperienced, inexpert, insensate, mindless, moronic, nitwitted, obtuse, retarded, senseless, shallow, silly, simple-minded, slow, soft, stupid, thick, uneducated, unintelligent, witless

Now, substitute and of the above words into Tony's statement, and it makes a lot of sense:

"The moronic answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

"The stupid answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

"The unintelligent answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

As you can see, Snow makes perfect sense in all three of the above statements...

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Can someone tell me why we cannot leave the morality issues to individual firms and ultimately the consumers?

This stuff is going to happen . . . just not in the US I guess.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
*sigh* God forbid Georgie could've used his veto to get spending under control, balance the budget, eliminate pork, instead of this carefully-planned bull$hit. The republicans know going into this that GWB is going to veto it, so they can feel free to support it and look good for their moderate constituants. Aside from Santorum, anybody want to bet how many republicans who are up for reelection in moderate states vote for this bill?

On a personal note, an Aunt of mine has Parkinson's, and her husband was partially paralized from a bicycle accident years ago. Both conditions that could benefit from advances in stem cell research. :( Sucks when something like this hits so close to home...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
dante said:
*sigh* God forbid Georgie could've used his veto to get spending under control, balance the budget, eliminate pork, instead of this carefully-planned bull$hit.
C'mon, he only gets one veto, right? He's gotta make sure he uses it in the most effective way that benefits the country. Clearly balancing the budget, etc. are all way less important than making sure that unused embryos go where they belong; in the trash.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:
When Bush and Co. lie about/misuse/abuse the science, then they are subverting the democratic process. When Bush made his announcement back in 2001 about the stem cell lines that were available, he out and out lied to the American public. Either that, or he didn't bother to get the latest science on the issue which is also problematic.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Transcend said:

this is one issue where i don't agree one bit with his views and actions.
let's hope the next president will take a more openminded stand on this.

mainly because i need someone to grow new cartilidge for my knee.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
How is it abuse of power? People elected him just the same as they elected congress. He is acting within the rules provided. There several examples during US history that popular opinion was out and out wrong. Regardless of whether you agree w/ Bush or not, you have to see that such power is necessary.

Not only that, but stem cells are being billed as the 'cure-all' for everything and the sicence is still a looooong way from proving that to be the case....

I really hope Bush enjoys using the Veto and maybe he'll use it a lot more in the future on bad legislation...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Westy said:
The health care industry just couldn't post the highest bid.
Actually... they did.

Do you really think that there is a company out there that want to CURE their patients?

A treatment can last a lifetime, a cure means that you no longer have that patient. And they are making a sh*tload of money off of treating them as they die. Why would they want to cut into their profits like that?

Changleen said:
It's a dumb thing to do and will put American biotech industry years behind Europe and Asia, which when you consider how technology is built on patents these days may be an irreversable set back. Once we start to get good at this stuff and patent all the basic techniques, you're screwed.
Based on their history for innovation... I'm not exactly worried.

But lets just say it is true... where is their research to date? Concept has been around for a while now, why hasn't someone else already started the research/filed for patents?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
N8 said:
Not only that, but stem cells are being billed as the 'cure-all' for everything and the sicence is still a looooong way from proving that to be the case....
I have no idea if it will cure anything or just suck up millions of dollars trying, but I'd rather have scientists/doctors decide whether its worth it or not instead of politicians...

N8 said:
I really hope Bush enjoys using the Veto and maybe he'll use it a lot more in the future on bad legislation...
don't worry, once the elections are over in November, I bet he'll use it a lot more. :devil:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Silver said:
If you pull out the ole' thesaurus, you'll find this is one of the entries for simple:

Main Entry: simple
Part of Speech: adjective 4
Definition: feeble-minded
Synonyms: amateur, asinine, backward, blockheaded, brainless, credulous, dense, dim-witted, dopey, dull, dumb, fatuous, feeble, foolish, green*, gullible, half-witted, idiotic, ignorant, illiterate, imbecile, inane, inexperienced, inexpert, insensate, mindless, moronic, nitwitted, obtuse, retarded, senseless, shallow, silly, simple-minded, slow, soft, stupid, thick, uneducated, unintelligent, witless

Now, substitute and of the above words into Tony's statement, and it makes a lot of sense:

"The moronic answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

"The stupid answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

"The unintelligent answer is he thinks murder's wrong"

As you can see, Snow makes perfect sense in all three of the above statements...
rarely would i agree with you on anything, but that was funny.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Slugman said:
Are you serious? :clue:
But lets just say it is true... where is their research to date? Concept has been around for a while now, why hasn't someone else already started the research/filed for patents?
You think they haven't? Maybe you should read up about this a little...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
So let's just stop trying right now! :trophy_br

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Everytime I masturbate, I kill thousands of potential lives.

OOpp...uhhh... uunnnnghhh. There goes another few thousand.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Silver said:
So, is there anyone here who defends Bush on this? This may be a first...
I do. Pretty funny guy, I think. The only thing I like more than politicians helping the world is laughing at people who keep losing.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
N8 said:

Stem cells have a lot of potential, but we won't be able to achieve that potential if we never do any research. Duh.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Slugman said:

As Chang said, you should read up on this. Although it is true that the South Korean researcher who claimed to have miraculous breakthroughs did some fudging, there are many foreign labs working on using stem cells for research into diseases, ailments, etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
yeah, why pursue further knowledge...such a waste of time...

N8 said:
so you think the proposed stem cell legislation was bad? interesting. is that a kneejerk/follow-the-W response, or do you have your own reasoning?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ya know, I think N8 and Shirley just may be the same person.

If Bush held up a switchblade, held an infant on it, spun it around and then ate it there would still be blind support and disagreement from these two just to stir the pot and tow the line.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
spincrazy said:
Ya know, I think N8 and Shirley just may be the same person.

If Bush held up a switchblade, held an infant on it, spun it around and then ate it there would still be blind support and disagreement from these two just to stir the pot and tow the line.
you obviously dont pay attention. Ive disagreed w/ the Bush admin. on many fronts and am NOT a republican. Im just socially conservative for the most part. But w/ economy, environmental, foreign policy, Ive not towed ANY party's line.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
N8 said:

There's a girl who lives here who was paralyzed while training during an olympic devlelopment skiing camp a few years ago. She's been flying to europe for nerve stem cell treatment over the last two years. She's walking as of two months ago with some help from leg braces.

This is all I could find with a quick search. The local paper doesn't have the stories online. A friend of mine does a local access show in reno and did a feature on her.

http://www.beliefnet.com/milestones/commemoration.asp?milestoneTypeID=6&milestoneID=76557

At least her mom covers the bases between science and not science. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silver said:
So why isn't IVF being outlawed?

My god, we're creating people that we are just throwing in the trash! Someone get Bush on this right away...

You can't fault George for his logic here...rock solid.
You know it's not about killing "babies(sic)" Otherwise the IVF refuse would be addressed.

It's about appeasing the retards while at the same time putting the research soley in the hands of merck et al with full profits being realized in the private sector.