Quantcast

stem research

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been riding this stem on my bike for 2 years now, and I'm getting tired of the bolts sticking out on the back. Sometimes they take chunks out of my knees. I picked it up at a bike shop and I don't even know what brand it is or the length...

I'd like to buy a new stem but don't know where to look or whats good/reliable.

any suggestions? Do people mostly run bmx stems on their 26 dj bikes?

thanks

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the blk mrkt stem and the thomson x4 have very small profiles on the steerer clamp. nice round edge, no bolts sticking out. thomson is 31.8, bm is 25.4.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I've got this one-bolt bmx stem from Demolition, the back of it is entirely round.
but it still hurts if you smash your knee against it hard enough

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
BMX stems are nice if you run 22.2 steel bars. there are a lot of good ones to choose from. right now on my 26" i'm running a hussefelt stem and bar and they both feel pretty spot on. stem could be slightly longer, but i'm not complaining.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm running some old aluminum Kona DH bars... Theyre big and taper down to the grips after the rise, so that'd probably be 31.8mm then?

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I'd say get a 25.4 stem...fairly easy to find, and bars are easy to come by.

Or better yet, get the SIC stem that can convert between 25.4 and 31.8

The holzfeller was a good suggestion...like only 35 bucks if you look around. 22.2 sized mtb bars could be a little more tricky to get ahold of.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
If you have waited 2 years... can you wait a couple more months? Hint Hint...
well, hmm..... gonna be the same time as some bars too, or what? I'm pretty anxious to see.

straitline has a stem with no bolts on the back too, and in 25.4 or 31.8. If not going that route, I'd say definitely go with 22.2/bmx, endless options of great stuff, including that superstar, or demolition....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Leethal,
I take it that you is USB? and that your coming out with a stem and some bars in a couple months?

Maybe when I start working next month I'll splurge and get a stem & bars. Have been riding these bars for ****... 4 years now!?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I am one of the two owners of Union-Street.

Parts should be ready to go in a couple months, teaser pics not long from now.

I don't want to let too much out of the bag until it is ready but there are no bolts sticking out the back of the stem.. both bar and stem will be made in the States and both have been extensively modeled but we like real world testing as well. Stem is very light and the bars are made from materials which don't fail dramatically...:brows:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA

I don't want to let too much out of the bag until it is ready but there are no bolts sticking out the back of the stem.. both bar and stem will be made in the States and both have been extensively modeled but we like real world testing as well. Stem is very light and the bars are made from materials which don't fail dramatically...:brows:
CROMO!!! YAY!

I can't wait to be riding some of the new nempro's...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yea, I'd be down to check out what USB has got coming... I'm starting a 5 month agriculture internship to finish my college degree in a month so I don't think that I'm in a huge hurry to replace parts that aren't broken. I'll keep my eyes open.

peace

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal

proto looks great !
Great prouct , great design !

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I assume that steel bars ride nicer than aluminum (kinda like frames I guess) ?
YES better fatigue life , easier manipulation of raw materials to get the bend 's you want and a much nicer ride than 31.8mm aluminum bars those things are so stiff on a long day of street riding or DH trails my hands start to go to sleep .. not so with steel bars ( or regular 25.4mm aluminum bars :clue:)

The only real down side to the steel bars are weight , you can drill em full of speed holes but thats start getting questionable on the end reliability of the product I'd rather have a lil more weight and know it's not going to break then land wondering when your going down !

BTW: we also make stems too :biggrin:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I haven't had a chromoly bar since I had a slam bar on my bmx almost ten years ago. These kona bars might fail one of these days. Looks like I've got a ton of options when I decide to change em out. jeezus

Evil4bc- that is one funky lookin stem dude!