Quantcast

Steve Peat

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yeah I don't think anyone can honestly belittle his "comeback".

*Nico's Alarm clock*: beep! Beep! Beep!
Nico: YAAAAWN...STRETCH.....Hmmm.I think I'll try racing DH again for the hell of it
Naysyaer: But Nico! You haven;t been practicing!
Nico: *Shrugs*

Two days later: *see post #74*

Come on, when Vouilloz was actually IN the game, Peat was never able to beat him. Onesy twosey races on occasion....He came close in 2001? when he was in the points lead, but then he crashed at Grouse and messed up his shoulder I think?

Had Vouilloz stayed in, I'm sure Peat would have always been nipping at his heels. But I guess Nico had nothing left to prove or accomplish, so he retired. And what race was it when Nico's bike tech was MIA so he had to wrench his own bike?

Peat is great...and I know you're sticking up for your friend, and that's cool....but come on...you know deep down, the Alien was super human when it came to DH.
that would be Vail Worlds in '01, no mechanic and a cracked frake that had to be swapped night before the race.

this is a silly comparison. Peat's legendary status goes way beyond simply looking at results. ask Beaumont, Fairclough, and Bryceland what peat has done for DH racing besides win races . . .

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
...Nico was 2008 IRC Rally WORLD CHAMPION and is up there in the points also this year!!! What that means is, that he smokes Ken Block ot Travis Pastrana anytime. He won numerus Megavalanche DH races and was second this year in Urge Kenya. All that adds up to being a true legend. He helped some other riders also like Camellini and Julien Poomans. He formed his own team, won WC on Tioga tires ;), desigend his own bikes in a way.... I respect Peat very much for what he's done and how fast and motivated he still is (which is unbelivible!), but I never liked the way he talked **** over Nico (or Barel for that matter) when he was beaten by him (like boring, lucky French bastard, lucky etc.). Yeah he was quiet for sure and was not a party man but nowdays Hill is the same. He races to get the job done...

Last edited:

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Agreed, done so much for downhill, more than anyone really.

Peaty has been at the top of this game all that time. Nico almost faded away in the world cup series. 2001 and 2002 werent great for him, except for the championship wins.

Nico was great back then, still is with all those records but Peats staying power over all this time is incredible. How many shifts in riding, speed, technology have there been over all these years? Loads, thats how many.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Agreed, done so much for downhill, more than anyone really.

Peaty has been at the top of this game all that time. Nico almost faded away in the world cup series. 2001 and 2002 werent great for him, except for the championship wins.
Finished 2nd in the WC overall to Minnaar by a bee's d*ck in the most closely contested series ever. Spent alomst all of '02 out with injury and didn't race . . .

If people are going to keep driving the stupid Peaty v Vouilloz comparison it would help to at least get some of the facts straight.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
If people are going to keep driving the stupid Peaty v Vouilloz comparison it would help to at least get some of the facts straight.

You mean the FACT that Vouilloz is the GOAT? You mean THAT fact? Eh?

But obviously this is all a matter of opinion...(except that my opinion is the correct one).

But if we're going to talk about "doing for the sport"....Couldn't one argue that Nico changed how people train? I seem to recall that Peat (and many others) didn't take DH training too seriously in the early days. Nico was all about the training. People started realizing that maybe it was important...

Maybe I also favour Vouilloz because he and I are about the same size. I got a kick out the fact that a not-so-big dude could be the best in the world. Generally, if you're 5'9" 150 lbs, you're not much of a force to be reckoned with in the sports world. Nico would be an obvious exception to that rule.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeah I don't think Nico was too far out of his element....maybe not good enough for him personally, but hardly a failure by any other standards (except maybe Stik's).
Talk about putting words in my mouth!

Someone mentions in here that Nico should try coming out of retirement, he did, it did not come close to HIS expectations, not by a longshot. He was not happy with his 'return'.

Nico is the best DH(only) rider of all time, we all know this. But like I said on post #1, Peaty is the top dog for so many more reasons. Winning a world cup in 2009 at his age with 2 kids is the standout factoid for me.

Nico won races on Tiogas, I will never disrespect the man ;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Maybe I also favour Vouilloz because he and I are about the same size. I got a kick out the fact that a not-so-big dude could be the best in the world. Generally, if you're 5'9" 150 lbs, you're not much of a force to be reckoned with in the sports world. Nico would be an obvious exception to that rule.

Nico's closer to 6' and a lot more than 150lb. :poster_oops:

Hill on the other hand is about 5'9"

some of the stuff in this thread is really entertaining. . .

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
IF Peaty had a unibrow, he probably could've competed against Nico a little better back in the day.
Peaty is more like the "peoples champ". Everybody loves that dude. I want to pop out his next child.
Nico=GOAT

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From what I've read, it was only briefly mentioned. Peat received his honorary doctorate for what he's contributed to the sport, not only because he's an amazing racer.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
This argument is a joke. Nico can't even touch peaty.

Nico was winning races on a glorified XC bike. It is a completely different race these days.

It would be like saying that the Celtics of the 50's-60s are better then the bulls of the 90's because they won more titles in a shorter time period, but if the Russell Celtics played the Jordan bulls, it would be a slaughter. Celtics wouldn't stand a chance.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Nico was winning races on a glorified XC bike. It is a completely different race these days.
QUOTE]

That last WC looked pretty similar to something that a glorified XC bike could've been used on.

Wasn't Nico in "the circus"? That vid had some good courses. I don't think an XC bike would've really held up on those courses.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
From what I've read, it was only briefly mentioned. Peat received his honorary doctorate for what he's contributed to the sport, not only because he's an amazing racer.
He received his honorary through charity work/donations.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004

Not quite on par with the bikes out today. I'm also pretty sure those Sunn bikes where miles ahead of the competition at the time.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Was it in The Circus.....or Alpha Project....where right near the end of the course, Peat came unclipped, did a little dance around his bike, got back on and went onto win the race anyway.....Deer Valley? I really don't remember.....

Someone needs to put that on youtube

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I mean, if you just watch that vid you know he is still fast... way fast! Look at how he corners.

But it's Peat's day and it's his time to shine. Nico had large piece of the cake, let the old man have a tiny piece for once!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
When Peaty puts on a rainbow jersey he gets to challenge Nico for the GOAT title. Until then, no dice. Don't care what he's done, what he's doing, or what he may do in the future, fact is he's never had the head to get it done on the day at the Worlds and that speaks volumes to me.

Is he a great racer? Absolutely. Is he one of the true greats of our sport? Absolutely. Is he the greatest? Absolutely not.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Not quite on par with the bikes out today. I'm also pretty sure those Sunn bikes where miles ahead of the competition at the time.
To give you guys that dont already know an idea of how far ahead of the competition nico's bike was, that bos kit that they selling now has pretty much exactly the same damper that nico had all those years ago. At the pietermaritzburg world cup I was talking to Patrick Morewood about the bos suspension and his thoughts on it while he was doing some testing with Rennie and when he told me that they are pretty much internally identical my jaw hit the floor. It just makes you think how much of an advantage he had over the competition when he was on bos stuff. Imagine Hill, Peat or Minnaar on the bikes they have now and then having their competition riding their bikes with the old hc2 damped boxxers and a vanilla rc. Im not taking anything away from the guy, he's a legend and I do realise that he won worlds a few times before he moved to bos. You also have to consider the circumstances that he won those stripes in, DH was a small, emerging sport and all it took was one man who figured out that training and preparing before hand had a huge influence on the result and he happened to be that man. Once we realise that, we then see that it would be impossible to repeat nico's domination in our sport. What I'm saying is that you cant compare any of the greats and decide who is the best of all time. Its really no point arguing about it.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
^ Watch yourself, I used the "nico, francois, cedric, ACC, etc.. have WAY better equipment INCLUDING disc brakes" argument once and got a lecture over it.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
^ Watch yourself, I used the "nico, francois, cedric, ACC, etc.. have WAY better equipment INCLUDING disc brakes" argument once and got a lecture over it.
Barel said himself in interview that it took him 4 years at the Pielle track to EQUAL the time he put in on his sunn while riding his kona.. each bike was taylor made for the rider with a team of mechanics dedicated to setting it up for each individual rider.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
To give you guys that dont already know an idea of how far ahead of the competition nico's bike was, that bos kit that they selling now has pretty much exactly the same damper that nico had all those years ago. At the pietermaritzburg world cup I was talking to Patrick Morewood about the bos suspension and his thoughts on it while he was doing some testing with Rennie and when he told me that they are pretty much internally identical my jaw hit the floor. It just makes you think how much of an advantage he had over the competition when he was on bos stuff. Imagine Hill, Peat or Minnaar on the bikes they have now and then having their competition riding their bikes with the old hc2 damped boxxers and a vanilla rc. Im not taking anything away from the guy, he's a legend and I do realise that he won worlds a few times before he moved to bos. You also have to consider the circumstances that he won those stripes in, DH was a small, emerging sport and all it took was one man who figured out that training and preparing before hand had a huge influence on the result and he happened to be that man. Once we realise that, we then see that it would be impossible to repeat nico's domination in our sport. What I'm saying is that you cant compare any of the greats and decide who is the best of all time. Its really no point arguing about it.

Agreed, my personal feeling is that if Peat, Hill, Gee or Minaar are every bit as fast as nico was then, but at that time as you say it was an emerging sport and people had not yet realised how fast it was possible to go. Nico made everyone else step their game up.

As for the Peat vs Nico.. peaty didnt really start to take things seriously with regards to training etc until he was teammates with Mike King on GT. Nico was racing downhill in his teens and peat was racing XC in his, comparing the two directly in terms of skill and speed is not possible.