Quantcast

Stewart Buffer Zone Saturday ride

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I trucked over to Stewart with BB32 and Dogwonder for a little somethin somethin on Saturday. Actually, the DH40 race course was set up, so we rode a bunch of that (that had to be one hell of a brutal race, btw).

We came in on Barron Road, and immediately hit up one of our regular trails (frequent RR watchers may recognize this spot). Dogwonder was off to a strong start while it took BB and I a bit to get on our game.

We ran into one of the furthest stretches of the DH40 trail, and we decided to ride that for a while. Nice course design, lots of interesting features to it. One of the interesting features were the chutes that dropped you onto or across the roads.

BB32 in one of the chutes:

DW takes the other line in the same chute.

While packing the camera in, another group of riders showed up, following the same trail. We chatted for a while and then moved on.

After another 2 miles or so, we climbed up the left side of this outcropping. Someone aptly pointed out that it would be fun to blow off of this onto the nice transition. DW was the first one to give it a go.

BB got some wicked air on it, but the picture just doesn't show it as well as she nailed it.

And Dr. BigAir strikes again:

After playing for a bit, we continued on the DH trail, and eventually popped out onto the road. On that road, we found the group we'd previously run into, looking for a chain tool to fix a busted chain. After fiddling with several chain tools and not having any master links (fvcking 9 speed chain) we got it fixed for them and headed off. I stopped to pick up a few more pics after that:

At this point, we decided to head back to the car after about 10 miles, and on one of the last rough climbs of the day, the mechanical gremlins struck again. Yes, that was once one chain.

And there was no post ride party foul this time. DW deserves a gold for the excellent vermont brew that finished the ride off.

Great day, great ride. Sometime soon it would be nice to get a bunch of monkeys down there for some thrills.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Great write up Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking as we were fixing the first chain that it would be just my luck that I would donate my last master link and then go and bust my chain. Thank God the master link didn't work!

I second the idea it would be cool to have others hit the area. I'm almost at the point where I only get lost a little bit. I'm sure there is a lot more to offer and then we could hit the Newburgh waterfront (or the Otter) for post ride food / beverages.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
#È?$_?ogwonder]Great write up Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking as we were fixing the first chain that it would be just my luck that I would donate my last master link and then go and bust my chain. Thank God the master link didn't work!

I second the idea it would be cool to have others hit the area. I'm almost at the point where I only get lost a little bit. I'm sure there is a lot more to offer and then we could hit the Newburgh waterfront (or the Otter) for post ride food / beverages.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm starting to learn it too.

We went out to the Otter and were dead tired when we got back. Too tired to even drink there :(

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
dogwonder said:
Great write up Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second the idea it would be cool to have others hit the area. I'm almost at the point where I only get lost a little bit. I'm sure there is a lot more to offer and then we could hit the Newburgh waterfront (or the Otter) for post ride food / beverages.
Problem solved. I picked up a master link at Darkhorse that afternoon and put the chain from the now stripped nrs in my pack, with a second masterlink on that.

Now I just need to keep my shock pump in there for your rear shock and I'm almost a rolling toolbox.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
cool write up Rob... I have to head up there again soon...
and... you guys need to come to NJ for some fun stuff

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Rad. I used to ride the MTA trails as the kid...where and what is the Buffer Zone? I still visit Newburgh every now and then with my bike.

edit. never mind the 'what' part of the question...it is pretty clear from the name.