Quantcast

Stiff longer travel 29er fork?

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
So I love my Ventana El Cap, but got it when 1 1/8 headtubes were standard. Feels like the frame has always been held back by fork selection. I'm currently running White Bros Fluid 29 135, which is a fantastic fork...for normal sized people. At 7 ft and 260, it is noodly, to say the least. Also, I've had to do rebuilds like every 3-6 months, as I like to ride pretty aggressively.

Question is, is there anything out there in like a 130-140 mm travel with 1 1/8 steerer which is stiffer and more appropriate for my yeti self than the Fluid?

I've looked at the Loop 29er 140 which does come in a 1 1/8 steerer, but not sure if that is actually an upgrade in stiffness, as stanchions are 32 mm, like the Fluid.

Anyone know if Fox or Rockshox can/will swap out a 1 1/8 steerer in one of their 140 mm 29er forks?

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
So I love my Ventana El Cap, but got it when 1 1/8 headtubes were standard. Feels like the frame has always been held back by fork selection. I'm currently running White Bros Fluid 29 135, which is a fantastic fork...for normal sized people. At 7 ft and 260, it is noodly, to say the least. Also, I've had to do rebuilds like every 3-6 months, as I like to ride pretty aggressively.

Question is, is there anything out there in like a 130-140 mm travel with 1 1/8 steerer which is stiffer and more appropriate for my yeti self than the Fluid?

I've looked at the Loop 29er 140 which does come in a 1 1/8 steerer, but not sure if that is actually an upgrade in stiffness, as stanchions are 32 mm, like the Fluid.

Anyone know if Fox or Rockshox can/will swap out a 1 1/8 steerer in one of their 140 mm 29er forks?
Do you have the 20mm axle on your fluid? That alone will make a lot of difference in stiffness!

From what you tell me you would be a good contender for a. Modified fox 36... See this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/modded-fox-36-a-563151.html

Sassyquatch

Chimp
Feb 20, 2012
My current fluid 29 does have a 20 mm thru axle...I've looked at the mod stuff but a lil afraid that with my weight and breakage history....

Also do they make straight steerers in 1 1/8 fox 36?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Wonder what it would cost to send the frame back to Ventana and get a tapered headtube put in...Probably a lot.

I say that because I notice the 1.5 crown to makes a huge difference, much more than 20mm vs. qr.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do you need the travel? You could get a lefty, which I think has 110mm in 29er format (if you start with a 140mm fork).

Otherwise, I think the loop does make some improvements in stiffness as it has 1 piece mag lowers instead of three piece aluminum ones. Rumor has it there's a big improvement.

What about a zokes 44? It comes with a 1.125 tube and though it has a 15mm QR, it might be OK. Converting your wheel might possible easily and reversibly, too.

If you're a real big pig, an option might be to buy an older dorado and reduce the travel. You get about 7" out of it, I think.

Burnt-Orange

Monkey
Jan 5, 2013
you might be able to get your hands on the new 2013 lefty super max 29er
130mm of travel
it is a beefed up version of there normal fork, 36mm stanchions vs the 32mm