Quantcast

Stolen bike recovered?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well this should be amusing. Last year my bicycle was stolen while I was at work. My parents house just received a phone call from someone claiming to know who took it and where it is.

Any chance this is a trap? Anyone ever had stolen items recovered? I assume it is property of the insurance company and must be turned over to them.

Anyway, I shall call them in a few minutes to see what the deal is. Figured I'd let the ridemonkey community in on the fun.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My take. Recovered property is yours. Regardless of payout. You bought insurance. It served its purpose. As long as no fraud or action of your part helped benefit you. Cops are smart enough to avoid entrapping you or knowingly allow you to commit a crime any Junior defense lawyer could get dismissed. Police involvement will lead to a "Poof" your Bike will be gone and no Police action will be taken for mostly arbitrary reasons. What we know. Having knowledge of a crime leads me to believe that person is complicit. Your bike (property) is out there and if you play your cards right you can reacquire it. Be safe. Criminals are often dangerous and sometimes pretty smart. Goodluck....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When I owned my bike/snowboard shop, we got broken into and about 15 boards were stolen. About 10 months later the ex-girlfriend of one of the guys who did it called me to rat him out...at that point, I didn't want to know where the boards were (they would just be long dead inventory). I already got paid by insurance. She also called the cops. Worked out great.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have contacted the police and passed along all the details. I will not share any more in the public forum due to the unsavory nature of this individual and fear of repercussions on the person who was kind enough to let me know. The original post has been edited to remove details that may be too specific.

Hopefully the police elect to pursue the matter. I don't have a ton of faith, though to my inexperienced self it would appear that this is about as credible of a tip as you get.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
People who steal lack impulse control and make bad decisions and, as there is no honor among thieves, the person providing the tip probably has an agenda you do not want to be part of.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This persons agenda is probably getting the thief in trouble.
Which should be on the top of your list of things you want to be a part of...
I believe this is the motivation. The suspect has an extensive criminal record and the informant told me a story that makes my troubles pale in comparison. The informant requested no money, did not want to be identified to anyone other than the police, and just wants the suspect out of their life. Sounds like it's a bad situation that I am but a small part of.

As I said before, given the suspects past this is a matter best handled by the police. At least if the mug shot and details I found are correct, a physical altercation probably wouldn't come out in my favor...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I believe this is the motivation. The suspect has an extensive criminal record and the informant told me a story that makes my troubles pale in comparison. The informant requested no money, did not want to be identified to anyone other than the police, and just wants the suspect out of their life. Sounds like it's a bad situation that I am but a small part of.

As I said before, given the suspects past this is a matter best handled by the police. At least if the mug shot and details I found are correct, a physical altercation probably wouldn't come out in my favor...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As I said to you this morning.....if I was in CO I'd get that bike come hell or high water. I need one last testosterone-filled, adrenaline-pumping violent mission before I become a soft-as-shit, diaper changing ninny.

Unless of course it resulted in my death or imprisonment. Then of course Laura would be pretty pissed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As I said to you this morning.....if I was in CO I'd get that bike come hell or high water. I need one last testosterone-filled, adrenaline-pumping violent mission before I become a soft-as-shit, diaper changing ninny.

Unless of course it resulted in my death or imprisonment. Then of course Laura would be pretty pissed.
i'm pretty sure tim already got paid by insurance, no?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Oh yea, insurance had paid out for that claim and I was on a new bike a month later. If its recovered I'll have to turn it over to insurance (or buy it back) anyway, so at this point I'm in it purely for the principle of the matter.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Oh yea, insurance had paid out for that claim and I was on a new bike a month later. If its recovered I'll have to turn it over to insurance (or buy it back) anyway, so at this point I'm in it purely for the principle of the matter.
Exactly.....purely on principle alone. I've been fortunate enough to never have anything stolen from me, but that's high up there with the most enraging shit in my book....right in between murdering my family members and being stuck driving behind a recumbent bike with sideview mirrors and an orange flag.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly.....purely on principle alone. I've been fortunate enough to never have anything stolen from me, but that's high up there with the most enraging shit in my book....right in between murdering my family members and being stuck driving behind a recumbent bike with sideview mirrors and an orange flag.
over the weekend i saw a guy on an e-recumbant trike