Quantcast

Stolichnaya not Russian vodka..???!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Vodka wars -- brands battle for 'best Russian vodka' title
Fri Apr 7, 2:36 PM ET

Two top vodka brands exchanged angry accusations on Friday over which had the lucrative right to call itself Russia's best vodka, with the famous Stolichnaya brand refuting charges from Russian Standard that it was not really a Russian beverage at all.

"Stolichnaya brand vodka is not authentically Russian," Russian Standard, a consumer goods and financial services company that produces a vodka by the same name, said in a statement distributed to media.

It said the Stolichnaya-branded vodka sold outside of Russia was not the vodka known in Russia under that name for more than 500 years but was instead a concoction produced in Russia and shipped in bulk and under a different name to Latvia where it was then bottled and labeled.

These vodkas "were based on different recipes than the recipe for Stolichnaya vodka," the statement said, adding that "Stolichnaya's marketing messages are inaccurate and misleading to vodka consumers" and that "Stolichnaya is not authentically Russian."

Pernod Ricard, the French beverages giant that controls the Stolichnaya trademark outside of Russia -- in Russia it remains state property -- angrily dismissed Russian Standard's charges, describing them as "gravely dishonest."

"Pernod Ricard confirms that Stolichnaya vodka is an authentic Russian vodka. It is distilled and produced in Russia ... from Russian grain and water. It is then shipped to Latvia in bulk where it is bottled," the company said in a statement.

Pernod Ricard said it was examining "all necessary legal recourse" to fight the charges by Russian Standard.

The rights to use the Stolichnaya brand have been contested in the past.

Earlier this month, a US court rejected a complaint from the Russian government over the use of the Stolichnaya brand in the lucrative US market.

While vodka called Stolichnaya has existed in Russia for centuries, the Russian Standard brand only began appearing on store shelves in 1998.

It has however had huge success in Russia, where it controls around 67 percent of the market for quality vodkas.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
My understanding of vodka production is that there is a 'core' liquid that is basically booze and other taste elements [flavors and impurities, etc] without water. This core liquid can be shipped to other distribution and bottling centers and then have local water added.

From what little I've learned, this is commonplace. There seems to be some dispute as to what the water content is worth in the labelling process.

Up here in the frosty north [insert irony here] we have something called Iceberg - made in Newfoundland, I think - from an imported core and water from a specific iceberg - water that is still in 'fresh' condition from about 10,000 years ago - before any human air pollutants could have affected it.

It's a nice, low-impact vodka, decent price and not as harsh as the Stoli.

Can't really call it Canadian, though.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Nobody said:
My understanding of vodka production is that there is a 'core' liquid that is basically booze and other taste elements [flavors and impurities, etc] without water. This core liquid can be shipped to other distribution and bottling centers and then have local water added.

From what little I've learned, this is commonplace. There seems to be some dispute as to what the water content is worth in the labelling process.

Up here in the frosty north [insert irony here] we have something called Iceberg - made in Newfoundland, I think - from an imported core and water from a specific iceberg - water that is still in 'fresh' condition from about 10,000 years ago - before any human air pollutants could have affected it.

It's a nice, low-impact vodka, decent price and not as harsh as the Stoli.

Can't really call it Canadian, though.

While not one of my top 5 fav's it is quite good. I have a bottle of it in my freezer.