Quantcast

Stop Sign ticket...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, so about a month ago I got a stop sign ticket for literally blasting through one. I literally did NOT see it since it was in an area of town I'm never in. Well, I gotta go to court tomorrow to either fight it or pay the stupid thing (which is $370). Any suggestions for fighting it?

I mean, I honestly did not see the thing and the cop said "it's the most run stop sign in the Santa Barbara county." Also, anyone know if you fight the ticket and they lower it, can you still make payments in CA? I got f'd over in Mammoth this weekend (left my goggles at home and had to buy some there and broke my bindings) so can't afford to pay it up front.

Any help would be AWESOME!!!!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ya, I understand stuff like the pic. below (only because I did it yesterday) but NOT why that ticket is so much!
Also...if it's the most run stop sign in the county...shouldn't that say something? It's pretty obvious during the day but hard to see at night.

And in case anyone needs to fly an approach into Camarillo here you go.

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
I always fight tickets, but I usually get them in NJ and PA and the cops are easy going except for in Philly. I just show up for court, officer talks to me, I pay fine in payments, and get no points. Insurance stays the same. Best of luck to you.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
You could try to plead it down and get a reduced fine with the DA before court, but it's already a moving violation (what most speeding tickets are plead down for) so you could be screwed. The fines are for the actual violation, court fees and usually any emergency service fees that particular area might have.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Apologize, accept responsibility, pass on what the cop told you, suggest they add more signage in light of this information, shave and wear a tie ya hooligan.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
first... you ran a stop sign.... man up and pay it.....

second.... you have two options. Put it off, get an extension... put it off again... get an extension........ hope when you go in the cop doesnt show......

the other is to man up in court, plea guilty tell the judge you know you ran the stop sign, tell him you didnt see it, but it you still know you ran it..... tell him you are accepting responsibility, but cannot afford to pay the full fine........ Honesty and integrity go along ways with judges like this...... so does a long day of people trying to bull**** their way out of responsibilities..... IE... hope you get to talk to the judge early in the day...... If your at the end of the day, your just plain screwed, all you will be at that time is just another bull****ter.....

Oh and good luck

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
how long have you known you would be going to court?

maybe you shouldn't have gone to mammoth?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my mom got ticketed for running a stop sign once. the sign itself was EXREMELY faded (I mean really, very very faded). She went and took a picture of the sign, went to court with it, and the judge agreed that it was faded and the ticket was thrown out.

Go back there, and try to take some pictures of it, show that its obstructed from the field of view (if it actually is) for traffic heading in that direction. Might be worth a shot.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
how long have you known you would be going to court?

maybe you shouldn't have gone to mammoth?
Known for a bit now. Well my mammoth trip had a free hotel, free tickets and $100 of the gas was paid for and split the remainder with my friend.

Just was not expecting to have to spent a ton of money on bindings and goggles which would have paid for the ticket.

Anyways, Ya I think I'll just try being as nice as possible and admitting that I screwed up etc. It's my first violation ever so am hoping that helps too.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
The last time I got a ticket, I pleaded guilty but asked for leniency because I was broke. The judge cut the fine in half but only after finding out that I had a pretty clean driving record. It is not like you have a lot to lose.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
$370 for running a stop sign? Yikes. Is the the normal fine? Seems pretty hefty.

I got a ticket once for running a red light. I say it was yellow and sent in the ticket "not guilty." I never heard from the court and that had to be 12 years ago.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I got a ticket once for running a red light. I say it was yellow and sent in the ticket "not guilty." I never heard from the court and that had to be 12 years ago.
A buddy of mine did that when he was driving through another state. Virginia or something, he was driving through, got ticketed for speeding, contested it, and never heard back for over a year.

The next time he was driving through Virginia, he got pulled over, and then arrested and taken to the county jail for not showing up at court. The cop didn't accept "...but I never heard anything!" as an excuse :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A buddy of mine did that when he was driving through another state. Virginia or something, he was driving through, got ticketed for speeding, contested it, and never heard back for over a year.

The next time he was driving through Virginia, he got pulled over, and then arrested and taken to the county jail for not showing up at court. The cop didn't accept "...but I never heard anything!" as an excuse :D
Well this was two towns over. I'd be pretty easy to track down.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Oh, I should mention that I have since been pulled over a couple of times. One warning, one ticket. The latter was for speeding and I just sent in the fine.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Only way you get out of it is if the cop doesn't show up. Chances are about 50/50 on these types of things that the cop wont show.
Really? those are the chances? So all baseball hitters have a 50/50 chance of getting a hit, not getting a hit? Maybe you should actually look into this particular cops history and see what his show rate is, I'd venture to guess the chances of him showing are not 50-50.

of course it would be 50/50. what other options are there besides showing up and not showing up?
There may only be two possible outcomes, showing up, not showing up. But it is not the flip of a coin, this individual officers show rate is going to be different than the next officers.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Only way you get out of it is if the cop doesn't show up. Chances are about 50/50 on these types of things that the cop wont show.
Yeah.... thats a negetive ghost rider..... its more like 97 percent the cop will show, and 3 percent they will not.

remember this is so cal.... The popo gets paid to be at court, the courts also decided what day you will appear according to what day the pfficer is already going to be present.... the officer is also penalized for not showing when he is supposed to be there.

If the date has not ben postponed at least once, the officer will likely be there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
$370 for running a stop sign? Yikes. Is the the normal fine? Seems pretty hefty.

Again... we are in socal.... they dont eff around with moving violations here.... I have had two tickets, one for speeding which I manned up and paid, went to traffic school... I was guilty, I was hauling ass and got caught.
Written for 56 in the 45...... $400 and some change....... The second I was driving on our very own highway 38 on the way back from big bear<about 7 months later> Got written up for crossing the double yellow....... I waited for the officer to leave, took pics of the road and all..... there were three sets of double yellows from painting and repainting..... Hell I even got the pic of the big ass rock I was avoiding when I crossed..............Want to guess how much I paid with lienency<sp>????? still $385

They dont eff around on tickets here in socal.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just offer the judge a hand job and a bag of coke. You'll be fine.