Quantcast

Stouffers Mac and Cheese

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Is very delicious. Put some french fried onions or crumbled up Potato chips on it and bake it in the oven. Directions on the box.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am sure that this is true, but I prefer to make M&C from scratch based on @likeustoleit's recipe as modified by me over time.
I agree scratch is better. I sometimes I like to throw something quick in the oven and not make a big mess. Mac and cheese ingredients add up $$. Its like after you buy the ingredients for a proper salad you dropped $20.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Wrong forum n00bs
My OCD must be different then yours. Mac and cheese is food and this is the beer and food forum. Its your turn to contribute. What is that you can cook, that is solid? Come on Mr Westy please share with us one of your recipes that powers the machine?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Death in box, I swear. Scouts honor, all that salt be some nasty shit. Make your own, what's $20 when it can save your life? 1 20oz box contains nearly 2000mg of salt. I only stosh because I care.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Death in box, I swear. Scouts honor, all that salt be some nasty shit. Make your own, what's $20 when it can save your life? 1 20oz box contains nearly 2000mg of salt. I only stosh because I care.
Yes that is a lot of salt. But you cook the pasta in salt. My Bechamel has salt in it. Cheddar is very salty. I add Gruyère, also salty.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't add salt to water when cooking pasta. In fact, I don't ever use salt when cooking, and don't have it on the table.
I don't always cook for my self. Seasoning is important. I can't imagine a steak without salt and pepper. Roasted eggplant without salt and pepper, yuck....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't always cook for my self. Seasoning is important. I can't imagine a steak without salt and pepper.
If it's a good steak, it can be quite delicious. YMMV.
Roasted eggplant without salt and pepper, yuck....
You'll get no argument from me. It seems to me that with eggplant, humans were trying way too hard to try to make that goddam vegetable edible.

Edit: You don't fucking salt your salad, do you?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If it's a good steak, it can be quite delicious. YMMV.

You'll get no argument from me. It seems to me that with eggplant, humans were trying way too hard to try to make that goddam vegetable edible.

Edit: You don't fucking salt your salad, do you?
It depends. This time of the year when your Salad ingredient might be inferior I may add croutons or anchovies to brighten up a salad. My dressings usually contain salt whether I add it or Maries does. Out of season tomatoes require salt in my opinion. I am on a Pickle and brined veggie kick right now to qualify...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My dressings usually contain salt whether I add it or Maries does.
a Marie's factory used to be one of my customers. I sold them a shitton of stainless and sanitary equipment for making dressings. Fascinating place. l love seeing shit made, even dressing. Anyway, every time I left from a call I stopped by the big cooler at the exit and grabbed a fresh bottle or two of whatever.

/coolstorybro

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
a Marie's factory used to be one of my customers. I sold them a shitton of stainless and sanitary equipment for making dressings. Fascinating place. l love seeing shit made, even dressing. Anyway, every time I left from a call I stopped by the big cooler at the exit and grabbed a fresh bottle or two of whatever.

/coolstorybro
For the cost and quality Maries dressings are the best in my opinion. For the price I cannot make dressing as good or as cheap as Maries. I find Kens Steak house dressings to be of a lesser quality, but still good also. I cannot make a better Italian dressing then Good Seasons. Wings without Maries Blue Cheese dressing are a failure....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
It depends. This time of the year when your Salad ingredient might be inferior I may add croutons or anchovies to brighten up a salad. My dressings usually contain salt whether I add it or Maries does. Out of season tomatoes require salt in my opinion. I am on a Pickle and brined veggie kick right now to qualify...
Out of season tomatoes... those fucking sad motherfuckers can kiss my bare white ass. :mad:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Out of season tomatoes... those fucking sad motherfuckers can kiss my bare white ass. :mad:
I have a access to a Hydroponic Garden. While better then grocery store offerings they are no match for Garden grown ones. I find them acceptable until the good ones are available. Plus they are cheap.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I have a access to a Hydroponic Garden. While better then grocery store offerings they are no match for Garden grown ones. I find them acceptable until the good ones are available. Plus they are cheap.
Yeah - drive me bat$hit crazy when I go to a decent restaurant and they have caprese on the menu out of season and I specifically ask if the tomatoes are good... to which they always reply that they are VERY good. And these fucking hard-ass little orange shits come out on the plate that are completely tasteless. :rant:

Hell - sometimes they'll have shitty tomatoes DURING season. Which is completely unacceptable.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah - drive me bat$hit crazy when I go to a decent restaurant and they have caprese on the menu out of season and I specifically ask if the tomatoes are good... to which they always reply that they are VERY good. And these fucking hard-ass little orange shits come out on the plate that are completely tasteless. :rant:

Hell - sometimes they'll have shitty tomatoes DURING season. Which is completely unacceptable.
I had these stripped ribbed tomatoes last week. I have no idea where they were grown or what the deal was with them. But they were really good. Damn now I want a salad for dinner. I love these food conversations as I learn so much from them....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I had these stripped ribbed tomatoes last week. I have no idea where they were grown or what the deal was with them. But they were really good. Damn now I want a salad for dinner. I love these food conversations as I learn so much from them....
Get me a picture. It seems that the more retarded the shape and color of a tomato... the more delicious it is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it's a good steak, it can be quite delicious.

I could also be better with salt.

Never used the stuff until I started to get terrible headaches when I was riding 200 miles a week. Sweated enough that I needed to add copious amounts of salt to my diet. JHFC was I missing out. Might only break a sweat now when walking up the staris, but I still do love salt with anything that came from a cow.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I could also be better with salt.

Never used the stuff until I started to get terrible headaches when I was riding 200 miles a week. Sweated enough that I needed to add copious amounts of salt to my diet. JHFC was I missing out. Might only break a sweat now when walking up the staris, but I still do love salt with anything that came from a cow.
Not sure I could imagine having steak without salting it first. Then again, IMO, I make the best damn steak of anyone I know, so perhaps I'm biased.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I tried salting the ribeyeys last weekend. Can't say it made it any better. How much salt are you guys putting on your steak?
How do you cook them? If you say propane grill you are beyond hope anyway and no amount of salt can make up for the character sucking nature of that cooking method.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
over the Winter I had been taking nice ribeye steaks, searing them in a pan (about 2 minutes per side) and finishing in the oven. They were some of the better steaks I've ever cooked that weren't grilled.

edit: also I try to not overuse salt, very very minimal

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
over the Winter I had been taking nice ribeye steaks, searing them in a pan (about 2 minutes per side) and finishing in the oven. They were some of the better steaks I've ever cooked that weren't grilled.

edit: also I try to not overuse salt, very very minimal

I like to give it a quick sear on both side in a cast iron pan. I then cover and turn off the burner. I let residual heat finish cooking, with a flip every few moments.

Salt prior to cooking. The salt draws proteins to the surface giving more flavor to the sear. I then salt to taste, which for me is a lot.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Stouffers Chipped beef is still available. #JBP. It was tasty in a unique way. I Served it on toast with hot sauce and a pat of butter. Lots of pepper. Probably wouldn't eat again.