Quantcast

Straitline or MRP?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Bros,

I'm riding a Nomad Carbon and given how well this things pedals and what I'm using it for, I'm thinking its time to get rid of the e13 Heim2 that I initially installed and go for a single ring up front. I'm looking at either the MRP Mini-G2 SL or the Straitline Silent Guide. Both are different styles of guides obviously, but they will cost me within $6 of one another so I really don't know which is a better call. Both are very light and will come in within 10-20 grams of one another, basically I'm looking for a quiet, low maintenance guide that will handle impacts well and keep my chain happily seated in place. Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,
Zack

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I really like the Silent Guide. I've got one on my DH bike and it's been great so far. No moving parts=win.

Can't comment on the MRP.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Same here. Some heavy hits to the guide including long rock slides and direct hits to the guide, not the bash and it has taken it with no problems. It's very quiet and hassle free. Go for it.

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
straitline guide handles impacts a lot better. after many hits the ring was bent a little bit but managed to bend it back with a crescent wrench and it was back to going smooth. i would recommend it

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't like aluminum bash guards. They tend to hang up on rocks more, rather than sliding.

Not that it's on your list, but the e.13 LG1+ is my current favorite guide.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i haven't been on a silent guide myself but have run mrp's and e13s offerings for awhile. a few of my riding buddies are on the straitline and love it, they wouldnt go back to anything else, and it actually is extremely quiet, if i were in the market for a new guide i would go for it

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
HAB, i love e13's products and service but unfortunately their guides don't fit the Nomad without some modification, and if I'm dropping $120+ on a guide I want it to fit right...

At this point I'm leaning towards the Straitline because Greg at Straitline has treated me extremely well in the past, not to mention they make freaking great products. The main reasons I was looking at the MRP are:

1) Like HAB said, plastic slides better than metal. I've never broken a bashguard and honestly would rather mangle a bash than my cranks.

2) I like the minimalist direct-mount look

Unless someone that has tried both can attest to the superiority of the MRP, I'll probably end up supporting the guys at Straitline with this one.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't like aluminum bash guards. They tend to hang up on rocks more, rather than sliding.

Not that it's on your list, but the e.13 LG1+ is my current favorite guide.
Only in theory. I've spent a week in Maribor, riding that crazy rockgarden daly and I was grinding a few stones on a daily basis. Unless mine came with a vaseline coat it means that they slide great.

As for lg1+ - Look at the backplate thickness on the new e13's. Very very thin and a few people managed to bend them. Straitline has a really thick backplate = longer guide life.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Zack, Question?

Do you need a Bash Gard? If not why not use the MRP Lopes Guide? It is 60gs lighter than the G2 mini sl and at a lower cost. I run the G2 mini sl on my new bike and love it.

When it comes to guides I would stick to ether MRP or E-13. They are the leaders in Guides. The way I see it, if you are going to pay for a guide, you should have one of the best!!!!

Also, do you work at a shop?????

Good Luck,

Cecil:thumb:

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Zack, Question?

When it comes to guides I would stick to ether MRP or E-13. They are the leaders in Guides. The way I see it, if you are going to pay for a guide, you should have one of the best!!!!

:
So by your logic they are the leaders and make the best products because they sell the most? Should have told that to toyota.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
As for lg1+ - Look at the backplate thickness on the new e13's. Very very thin and a few people managed to bend them. Straitline has a really thick backplate = longer guide life.
lg1+ backplate is not that thin.. when you hold one in the hand. it is solid.

I prefer have taco mounted below. I dont trust straitline, lower guide could damaged along with lower part of the backplate.

I could change worn taco and still have backplate intact. One way to bend this is crash sideways at high speed while sliding on rock, lol. :thumb:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
So by your logic they are the leaders and make the best products because they sell the most? Should have told that to toyota.
Well, toyota has one of best reliability and they invested lots of money on safety. You dont sell most just by a luck ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
lg1+ backplate is not that thin.. when you hold one in the hand. it is solid.

I prefer have taco mounted below. I dont trust straitline, lower guide could damaged along with lower part of the backplate.

I could change worn taco and still have backplate intact. One way to bend this is crash sideways at high speed while sliding on rock, lol. :thumb:

The backplate is thin. I've had it in my hands. It may feel solid but it's thin and I have friends with bent backplates, even on the older gen.

As for the lower guide - how could that happen? I hit a rock with my lower guide a few times and I've had no problem. Do not kid yourself the guide is obviously stronger because at the same weight it has less moving parts which contribute to the e13 weight.
I was very wary of it at first too so I can understand but even though I'm light I'm heavy on my gear and dropping 1'' in bb height with my new frame sure didn't help the cg. It's solid. Haven't heard one bad review from a user. All I see is people who never tried it speculating.

Well, toyota has one of best reliability and they invested lots of money on safety. You dont sell most just by a luck ;)
You missed the joke - in the US the ppl made a huge case out of some of their cars having faulty brakes ;)

Not to mention - you sell the most by advertising and price. Your product has to be decent, not the best. If your logic was the case nike would make the highest quality shoes, mcdonald's the best food and Nick Cage the best movies ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Have you thought about the MRP Lopes?
Just a heads up for anyone getting this guide. If you do not have the ISCG tabs, I would not buy the BB mount one. I just used a Lopes guide for a little DH race that I use my trail bike for and I needed chain retention but no bash protection. Anyway, it rubs like hell in the first 4 gears, and there is no way to space it in any further. It also has a $hitload of drag to go with it. There is no way I would use it for trail riding. As soon as that race was over, I yanked it off my bike, and put back on the E13 XCX bb mount. The XCX comes with 1.5mm of spacers so you can adjust the chainline. I can set it up where it does not rub in any of the 9 gears. FTW.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
To be honest I was doing it myself and had never set up a chainguide before. My previous bikes either had front derailleurs or built in chainguide systems. The instructions that e13 provided were trash. "Cute" and "worthless" immediately come to mind. I figured it out after checking the tubez for the right spacing, posting a picture where somebody bitched about the guide position, and removed the crank 3 or 4 times to adjust it.

Like I said, once on it was mint, but some guidance from the instructions would have had it set up WAY faster.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Just a heads up for anyone getting this guide. If you do not have the ISCG tabs, I would not buy the BB mount one. I just used a Lopes guide for a little DH race that I use my trail bike for and I needed chain retention but no bash protection. Anyway, it rubs like hell in the first 4 gears, and there is no way to space it in any further. It also has a $hitload of drag to go with it. There is no way I would use it for trail riding. As soon as that race was over, I yanked it off my bike, and put back on the E13 XCX bb mount. The XCX comes with 1.5mm of spacers so you can adjust the chainline. I can set it up where it does not rub in any of the 9 gears. FTW.
Good to know thanks, what frame was it on?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Only in theory. I've spent a week in Maribor, riding that crazy rockgarden daly and I was grinding a few stones on a daily basis. Unless mine came with a vaseline coat it means that they slide great.
You may not care, but I do. Drives me nuts. And yes, I've run an aluminum bash ring recently.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
The backplate is thin. I've had it in my hands. It may feel solid but it's thin and I have friends with bent backplates, even on the older gen.

As for the lower guide - how could that happen? I hit a rock with my lower guide a few times and I've had no problem. Do not kid yourself the guide is obviously stronger because at the same weight it has less moving parts which contribute to the e13 weight.
I was very wary of it at first too so I can understand but even though I'm light I'm heavy on my gear and dropping 1'' in bb height with my new frame sure didn't help the cg. It's solid. Haven't heard one bad review from a user. All I see is people who never tried it speculating.

You missed the joke - in the US the ppl made a huge case out of some of their cars having faulty brakes ;)

Not to mention - you sell the most by advertising and price. Your product has to be decent, not the best. If your logic was the case nike would make the highest quality shoes, mcdonald's the best food and Nick Cage the best movies ;)
I didnt say that it will not hold up, my concern was that the backplate and lowerguide has to be replaced when it is worn out in the case the lower guide is placed below than lowest part of bashguard. If only bashguard get hits so it'd be fine. I cannot buy all things to test, all i can use is my logic and aesthetic sense before I pick a part :D IT is what forums are for.

Re toyota, I hadnt said either that the things sold most, are best. ;) Take easy when you read my texts ;)

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Good to know thanks, what frame was it on?
It was on the yeti asr 5. When I switched my parts over from my shova frame the XCX used the same number of spacers to line up perfect on both frames, so I know the frame was not the issue.
Don't get me wrong, the guide worked in that it held my chain on, but the rubbing and drag is something I could not put up with for trail riding. It might not be as bad if you were going to use the guide for slalom or gravity only type riding.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I didnt say that it will not hold up, my concern was that the backplate and lowerguide has to be replaced when it is worn out in the case the lower guide is placed below than lowest part of bashguard. If only bashguard get hits so it'd be fine. I cannot buy all things to test, all i can use is my logic and aesthetic sense before I pick a part :D IT is what forums are for.

Re toyota, I hadnt said either that the things sold most, are best. ;) Take easy when you read my texts ;)
I didn't want to sound agressive. Sorry I tend to argue to hard, even more when sick ;)

As for the lower guide - it wears very slowly. I rode it this year in some really bad conditions. 1 month of riding in flood (full on flood, the resort was cut off 2 days after I left it), 2 weeks in french dust which covered your bike 100% plus some regular riding. The wear is minimal.

Not the best photo but it should give you an idea - it's after 1 season.

As for hitting the guide itself - I've already commented on that. The lower slider takes hits with NO PROBLEMS. I've seen bent e13 backplates from direct hits to the lower roller. Not hard hits mind you - people didn't notice them. Though it's a small % and e13 still makes great guides. Just not better than straitline imho. Also - it's a good tip not to tighten your guide too much - it will simply rotate.

btw. I always thought it's to share biking experiances, not for theory ;)

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
i like e13 they make a great product and all guides setup better than the old school days of downhill. anyone that set up an AC blackspire or mr. dirt, i think will agree the all the new ones are better you don't need a grinder. i haven't used the straitline guide but i have installed one and its ok, to me the new lg1 is better to install but not buy much. the group of dh riders in my area including myself have broken many of the new mrp g2 guides and i consider them to be a 2nd-4th choice if you want mrp go buy the old school one it was the standard. i didn't see gamut in the list its simple and effective.
-Vince

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How is e13 easier to instal than strait? You just need to use a proper spacer. Got everything right the first time and I never instaled a CG before.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
As for hitting the guide itself - I've already commented on that. The lower slider takes hits with NO PROBLEMS. I've seen bent e13 backplates from direct hits to the lower roller. Not hard hits mind you - people didn't notice them. Though it's a small % and e13 still makes great guides. Just not better than straitline imho. Also - it's a good tip not to tighten your guide too much - it will simply rotate.

btw. I always thought it's to share biking experiances, not for theory ;)
Nothing much to argue about when we are both happy with our guides :D

From your picture (hard to judge) appears that your lower guide is moved up above than lowest part of bashguard, right? Then I'd not be worried :thumb:

Theory and experience are appreciated both. Btw did you use lg1+ yourself? Not mentioning some friends.

I picked Lg+1 because I thought it looks pretty, I still choose lg+1 over straitline any day regarding look (teasing you ;) )

As some mentioned, all current guides are quite decent btw. I had Mr Dirt Gizmo earlier, not the best experience I had :D

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
How is e13 easier to instal than strait? You just need to use a proper spacer. Got everything right the first time and I never instaled a CG before.
It doesnt matter if you spend 1 min. or 3 min. of millions minutes of your life. :) it is not reason to buy a guide btw.

For me, to install lg+1 is relatively easy. I didnt clock time.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
"How is e13 easier to instal than strait?" i will get back to you.

that's because i have put on way more e13 guides. i was looking at the bottom slider on the strait thinking it looked vulnerable like it hung lower than others, but it is about the same i just messed with it more also the spacers on the strait were plastic, for some reason this annoyed me (dumb reason i know). Here is something that I feel is wrong with all guides the long Allen head bolts are to short. I found by circumstance the bolts are also to hard of a steel grade, I switched to a longer cheaper bolt (sadly it was a Phillips head) but I found out that the bolts would bend instead of the guide or the frame tabs. Just my observations.

-Vince

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It doesnt matter if you spend 1 min. or 3 min. of millions minutes of your life. :) it is not reason to buy a guide btw.

For me, to install lg+1 is relatively easy. I didnt clock time.
I agree but still for some people it's a valid point. Unless it takes hours to do every time I don't cae.

As for sticking below - it has too but again it's not a problem. I agree I never had an e13 guide. Wanted one but got the chance to get a straitline for the same price and went for it. Though I was really worried about backplate because I'm a crash world champion.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i can't run the Lopes guide in the PNW, i find myself smacking logs and stuff on a regular basis and i want something with some decent protection.

e13 products will not fit my bike, i repeat, will not fit, without modification and therefore i don't want one. does anyone have any direct experience between the MRP and Straitline?

-Zack

hardboiled

Chimp
May 15, 2006
right behind you
sorry no experience with the straightline but I've been underwhelmed with my mini G this winter. it's had a hard time dealing with muck and muddy riding conditions compared to the gamut p20 I used previously. I use them on trailbikes, if you're not pedaling much it may not be an issue. chain retention has been fine and in dry conditions I haven't noticed a big difference in noise or drag between the mrp and gamut. my $.02

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
ok mrp sucks straitline is worth a try.

why not ues the gamut?
Had more luck with MRP fitting and working than any other brand. Every major brand today is pretty good but I would have to say gamut is the worst. The bash ring cracks around the bolts after a good hit, and the bottom roller is worthless after a few rides in thick mud, kinda turns into a straitline once it ceases though :thumb:

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
main beef with the e13 is smashing lower pully guide thing off. 2 off in 2 days couldnt stand it.
@norbar it looks from the picture that you could adjust the guide out a bit more as it says to in the instructions to have the ring be flush with the outside of the polymer guides

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i can't run the Lopes guide in the PNW, i find myself smacking logs and stuff on a regular basis and i want something with some decent protection.

e13 products will not fit my bike, i repeat, will not fit, without modification and therefore i don't want one. does anyone have any direct experience between the MRP and Straitline?

-Zack
false. i just installed one...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7171643(not my thread)

e13 ftw

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
according to santa cruz material does have to be shaved off, and i don't want to be forced to run it in the wide position if that's not the truly correct spacing. i can't find a single negative review of the straitline on the entire intrawebz, so i figure i might as well give it a try. thanks for the help.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
The bash ring cracks around the bolts after a good hit, and the bottom roller is worthless after a few rides in thick mud, kinda turns into a straitline once it ceases though :thumb:
i havent run a gamut on my dh bike so i cant say anything on the toughness of the ring, but i have one waiting to be used on my super d bike. i have put them on others bikes, very simple. i live in the desert so thick mud is not something that i see. the straitline is also simple and the person that is using it is not a regular or hard rider but i am sure it will hold up just fine. i think they make some of the best pedals.