Quantcast

Strange Hydro Brake Problem

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've got a set of Hayes nines on my faith that have worked fine since I bought it in december. The other day, I visited my buddy in Los Gatos and rode a paved bike path around there to try to get him more into riding.

Just shortly after cruising the path I hopped off maybe a 2 foot high mound of dirt. I got about 3 more pedals to catch up to my buddy and went to hit the back brakes when I discovered that I no longer had any. I came to a stop, and quickly inspected the lines (nothing disconnected or damaged) and pumped the lever (still no pressure). My buddy pulls up next to me and askes what's going on, so I pull on the lever again to show him and lo and behold, I have brakes again. I then proceeded to cruise around the rest of the day(about 20 miles and some dirt jumps) no problem. Since then I've done a couple rides, some of them pretty brake abuse intensive and everything works fine. It's been bugging me though since I can't find what caused the problem I don't know if it will ever do it again (ie on lower velocity at mammoth or some other un-oppertune spot).

The bike had not been stored upside down and made the trip to Los Gatos upright on top of my jeep.

Ideas? I don't know too much about hydro brakes. :banghead:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Could a bubble in the lines cause something like this? I know it's a closed system and shouldn't have air getting in, but it's the only thing I can think of.

tebstebstebs

Chimp
May 7, 2006
prolly was just some air in there. i have to pump my xt's like that eveery once in a while, but bleeding them should fix it