Quantcast

Strava knows all your secrets.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Strava fitness tracking data reveals details of secret bases

Strava has reminded users that they could turn off location sharing, and that the map doesn't include private activities or areas deemed private. Many people aren't aware of what the app shares, however, and might not understand the implications of publicly sharing that data from sensitive locations. And of course, not every fitness-minded app has a public activity map that makes searches easy. It's doubtful that Strava could have considered every possible effect in advance, but this is a reminder that open data can sometimes include more than some would be comfortable with. Likewise, this might prompt militaries to limit smartphone use or educate soldiers on the importance of privacy.
:rofl:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
If I had a nickel for every cel phone I confiscated from dumbass troops who knew better than to have it in whatever area they were working...I would have a bunch of nickels.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
There are simply places, restricted areas, in which photography without authorization is prohibited. Over the course of my career in the AF, cel phones with camera capability came on line, and one of the main problems I had as a boss type was keeping the guys who worked for me from taking cool guy pictures of themselves in front of classified aircraft or materials and/or stopping others from taking like photos. The emergence of social media only made it a bigger hassle, because some dorky kid always had to have a photo in front of some stupid plane like he was fucking Maverick or Goose, and then he had to post on the book of face. FSM forbid the tail # was showing.

@mykel , I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of water craft at an area whose existence I can neither confirm nor deny...but if you send me your address I have some friends who can come by and also neither confirm nor deny said area and the aforementioned water craft that may or may not exist.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are simply places, restricted areas, in which photography without authorization is prohibited. Over the course of my career in the AF, cel phones with camera capability came on line, and one of the main problems I had as a boss type was keeping the guys who worked for me from taking cool guy pictures of themselves in front of classified aircraft or materials and/or stopping others from taking like photos. The emergence of social media only made it a bigger hassle, because some dorky kid always had to have a photo in front of some stupid plane like he was fucking Maverick or Goose, and then he had to post on the book of face. FSM forbid the tail # was showing.

@mykel , I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of water craft at an area whose existence I can neither confirm nor deny...but if you send me your address I have some friends who can come by and also neither confirm nor deny said area and the aforementioned water craft that may or may not exist.

hey did you flashy thing me?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Somebody hit @JohnE with some rep for me....

....now what was I here for again - and would you get that light out of my damn eyes - Who are you anyway?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If I had a nickel for every cel phone I confiscated from dumbass troops who knew better than to have it in whatever area they were working...I would have a bunch of nickels.
you sell their iphones for bike money sunshine.....think!