Quantcast

Street vs. Dirt frame

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
whats the difference between street and trails frames? How do thier geometry and sizing compare? Can a street frame be used to dirtjump (ex. hoffman alias)? thanks for the help.

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is not much difference. I used to ride a "dirt" frame for street and now ride a "street" frame on dirt and street. The only thing I have noticed is street frames usually have thicker tubing in the chainstays and downtube as well as thicker dropouts, all to withstand grinding. Dirt frames are usually a little lighter. Geometry-wise, street frames sometimes have shorter back ends than dirt frames (nimbleness vs. stability). Top tube length, bb height and head angle don't seem to change much.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Now bikes are moving towards a new "park" geometry with a 20.5 ish standard and a 14.5 chainstay. This is just what I have been noticing. Dirt frames are normaly lighter and street frames are normally stronger. There are still lots of geometry options but I have found that lots of companys are now moving towards a longer tt and chainstay so I say get a warpig just based on the fact that Troy McMurray is a badass

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
thanks, some good info from you guys. Arent trails frames generally longer also? I think the Hoffman Alias will make a good all-around bike then here are the specs.

TT:20.5 inches
chainstay: 14.125-15.5 inches
ST:71 degrees
Wheel base: 36.6-37.6 inches

tell me what you think. If i find myself riding more dirt i can just make my wheelbase a bit longer, right?

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, like Ir Dan said, that is pretty standard nowadays. That bike will be fine on dirt and it is built pretty heavy (7 lbs) so it should handle street nicely. You can always run it longer if you want and your brakes and such will allow it. I run my rear end as short as possible (almost 14.25 on my macneil) and don't change it when I ride dirt. There are so many choices for bmx frames and they have become so refined that it's mostly little things that seperate them. That short rear end will be nice in parks for sure. Have fun on it

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
yea, ive got a dirtframe(s&m dirtbike classic) and ride alot of street and park on it, it tends to work real good. its got a pretty short TT(20.25) and i forget the chainstays, but they are a tad longer for dirt, but still work super good for street and park.