Quantcast

Struggling...stick with 24's or go to 26's

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I am in the process of rebuilding my old Balfa Minuteman dirt jump bike and can't decide on a wheel size. It is going to be a single speed bike this time...probably with only a rear brake and will be used exclusively for dirt jumps and urban.

Since 2005 I have run a 24" wheel setup (Ringle 20mm front hub, XT rear hub, Sun Doublewides, and Hookworms). The bike hasn't been ridden in 2 years and I want something lighter than my doublewides, so I was going to strip the wheels and put new rims/spokes on the hubs. I was originally just going to build a set of 26's because there are few 24" rim options...then I found a huge selection at chain reaction cycles.

Now I'm stuck and can't decide which way to go. Has anyone else ever run 24's for a long time and switched back to 26's? Any thought?

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Looks like 24's are the most popular (I know I have loved them).

The Balfa has been a great bike. Geometry is very versatile...used it for DS racing, dirt jumping, street, hucking, etc etc etc. It has been my only hardtail since 2001 and other than an ovalized headtube (my fault), it has been perfect. Would buy another one in a second if Balfa didn't go out of business.

24s ftw. if youre worried about weight then why the hell are you running hookworms? they are the heaviest tire in the world. rather than shaving weight by getting new rims, just get new tires.

get 2 of these and youre set:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=58037
I guess I forgot to mention...the hookworms are going to be replaced as well...probably with Holy Rollers (24x2.4 are 735g vs. the 1020g hookworm) or something else with a standard casing. Those specialized tires do look nice...esp. at 510g...not sure if I want to lose my wire bead though.

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Well I changed my mind about what I am doing over the weekend and subsequently just ordered a new set of 26's from universal cycles. Rather than tearing down my current wheels and using the hubs, I just decided to just keep my 24's as is with the doublewides and use them for street. Then get a new set of 26's for dirt jumping.

I just placed an order for a custom set of wheels with DMR hubs (20mm front, 10mm bolt on single speed rear), Spank Tweet Tweet-Evo rims, DT Champion spokes, and brass nipples.

Tires are still up in the air at this point, but I'm leaning towards either the Intense MK2 or the Specialized tires (if they ever are in stock).

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
For whatever its worth...here is a spreadsheet that outlines my now dual 26"/24" setups and the difference in weight between the two. About 2.5lbs in just the wheels.

Most numbers are the manufacturers published numbers and a one or two are my estimates (like the DMR chain tugs). Also, the Uzzi is 0.1 lb heavier than what the spreadsheet calls for.

Attachments