Quantcast

Stuck Seatpost

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Yeah so my seatpost has bent inside of my frame. I can no longer remove it. I tryed to get a rubber mallet last night and knock it out but the thing would not move a bit. Any suggestions?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Acadian said:
how can a seatpost bend INSIDE a frame without damaging it (frame)?
Acadian's right - it cant be bent inside the frame unless the post is too small for the frame, or the frame is trashed.

If it's just plain stuck, pour a mess of WD40 down the seat tube, take off the seat, clamp the seat post in a bench vise, and turn the frame - it's a way bigger lever than whatever you are using to try to move the post now.

If that fails, prepare to learn the zen of the hacksaw blade micro-cut techniqe... :dead:

Good luck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Take out one of your water bottle bolts and fill the seat tube with black powder, epoxy a model rocket engine ignitor in place of the bottle bolt. Attach a long run of speaker cord the ignitor and from a very safe distance touch a 9 volt battery to the speaker cord. Your seat post will not doubt leave the frame. You may have problems with the dept. of homeland security and your frame warranty, but I see no other way of removing it.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
if you have a full seat post mast, you may try to remove the bottom bracket and with the bike up side down, soak it with penetrating oil over night

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
JAB said:

AHAHAHAH! My friend that works at a bike shop used that technique (after exausting every other possibility). He tied the seatpost to his jeep and the frame to his 4-runner....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Take the whole mess to a good local frame repair shop. They can cut the post off just above the frame and then ream the majority of the seatpost material out. Once most of the post is gone, it will collapse and you can remove it with vice grips. Your post is already trashed, this will save the frame.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I think before we offer up all of these solutions, we should find out from him exactly what is the problem since you can't have a bent seatpost in an unbent frame. Is it just seized then (i.e. oxidation and lack of grease)?

Post some pictures or describe your situation more so we have a clear picture of whats going on, then take the advice.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
ok, i was in the exact same situation. (that was me that hooked my truck up to the seatpost), that worked by the way, and nothing was broken in the process. try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html for more information. I would have like to try the ammonia thing since i had an aluminum seatpost in an aluminum frame. but alas, i didnt know it at the time. WD40 or penetrating lube will probably not work. it really only works on rust. When my seatpost came out you could tell where the penetrating lube hadnt gotten, which was most of the seatpost. And its prolly not bent, I thought the same thing, but its really not likely at all. As for the hacksaw idea, it was not feasible for me because my post was too long, IMO it'd be worth the money to take it to a machine shop if it comes to that. I came very close to doing that. you can pm too if you want any specifics. or try to find my thread, its prolly a month old by now, some people had some good ideas there.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
From seeing some other threads I gather that you have a specialized enduro of some kind, right?

So since it doesnt have a full seat tube, couldnt the seatpost be bent below the seatmast? If thats the case, a hacksaw is all you would need. I agree with Matt D though, what is it exactly that is the problem?

Jon

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Chutney said:
From seeing some other threads I gather that you have a specialized enduro of some kind, right?

So since it doesnt have a full seat tube, couldnt the seatpost be bent below the seatmast? If thats the case, a hacksaw is all you would need. I agree with Matt D though, what is it exactly that is the problem?

Jon

You are right... I think it is bent below the seatmast.

Thanks for the ideas