Quantcast

studio lights

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I want to get a studio light kit for Christmas. Something with 3 lights in a kit. I'm looking at alienbees now. What is better kits or piecing it together myself? Any recommendations on a good kit?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Alien Bees are awesome...i have used them outside a crap ton and they have stood up well are lightweight. my favorite thing about them is the stopless slider adjustment for power. limitless between full and none. good lights for sure.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
one thing I've read about AB's (and seen posted examples of) is that they color shift @ low power.
They do indeed. This is why i ditched the 4 I had. They tend to shift to magenta at low power, but it isn't consistent between lights or powers, so you can't really correct for it if you are using multiple light sources etc.

They are, however, inexpensive, fairly durable and great lights to get used to that sort of equipment on. I HATED the slider system for power. In a studio setting they are impossible to dial in in a consistent manner as you can never be 100% sure of the exact setting. Not a big deal unless you are trying to replicate the same type of shots over and over. The lsider also isn't a nice curve, it's much more sensitive when you get to low power, making it a real pain in the ass.