Quantcast

stupid QBP

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I hate crap like this. [rant ON]

I ordered 2 new Hayes HFX-Mag lever/master cylinder assemblies thru QBP (at work), and they arrived today. And I got screwed. I got the Mag lever body with the HFX-9 style lever blade (rounded edges instead of squared edges). WTF? The whole point of getting the new lever assemblies was to replace my current HFX-9 setup, and now I got virtually the same thing. God dammit. :mad:

[rant OFF]

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
you can blame hayes for that. We've ordered hayes brakes thru 3 different distibutors, only to have them show up with mismatched levers/calipers, different color caliper's and levers on the same brake...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Fulton
you can blame hayes for that.
No, actually, I was just stupid, and it turns out I can't blame anybody. For 2004, all Hayes levers have the rounded feel to them. Check it out:

2K4 model (what they sent me):

2K3 model (the kind that feels a helluva lot better but is no longer made):

Damn the system.

However, one advantage to the 2004 model is that instead of the stupid pin bushing thing at the pivot, it's now a bolt. Oh well, looks like I'll have to live with these levers until I can afford a pair of GRC levers.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Hayes changed to the blk rounded lever on Mag brakes for 04 at the request of a ton of people. Seems the lever was about the only thing ppl liked about the 9's.

-ska todd

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by ska todd
Hayes changed to the blk rounded lever on Mag brakes for 04 at the request of a ton of people. Seems the lever was about the only thing ppl liked about the 9's.

-ska todd
Yep, Hayes Mags with the new lever = Yum!
I made the direct switch from some 02 Mags,
and the 04's feel so much nicer.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It's not QBP's fault, its purely your's..................................................For not buying Hopes:D See Hope levers feel perfect, so there is no need to try to upgrade:D :D :D

Had to throw that in:p

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Has anyone else ridden the Mag Plus? Those levers are the shiz! I don't know if its the wavy rotor, new pads, the lever shape or what, but they are sick. I wish they all had the big wide lever, even if made out of aluminum. SO comfortable.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Repack
Has anyone else ridden the Mag Plus? Those levers are the shiz! I don't know if its the wavy rotor, new pads, the lever shape or what, but they are sick. I wish they all had the big wide lever, even if made out of aluminum. SO comfortable.

Yeah, I have two sets. I haev tried them with old style pads, new pads, 8" rotors and no wavy rotors at all. All I can say is that they are the nicest brakes I have ever used. Goodridge hoses help:)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by RD
Yeah, I have two sets. I haev tried them with old style pads, new pads, 8" rotors and no wavy rotors at all. All I can say is that they are the nicest brakes I have ever used. Goodridge hoses help:)
SO then did anything you change make a difference? Good or bad? We need details!

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
It's not QBP's fault, its purely your's..................................................For not buying Hopes:D See Hope levers feel perfect, so there is no need to try to upgrade:D :D :D

Had to throw that in:p
Ditto...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dexter,
I have two pairs of those silver '03 levers you like in perfect condition. 1 from putting GRC's on my Stinky and 1 from putting mag plus Carbons on my Bear. I also put the new bolt style pivots in. I will sell you a pair for $20 plus postage. That's a lot cheaper than QBP, heck or i'll trade you for your '04's plus postage. I always like to have spares around just in case I bend one.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I'll use my super mod powers and fix it.:devil:
Super Brian: Ridemonkey's Official Protector of Newbies and Advocate of Hope Brakes

Edit: Hehehe, look at the number of posts I have.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by punkassean
Dexter,
I have two pairs of those silver '03 levers you like in perfect condition. 1 from putting GRC's on my Stinky and 1 from putting mag plus Carbons on my Bear. I also put the new bolt style pivots in. I will sell you a pair for $20 plus postage. That's a lot cheaper than QBP, heck or i'll trade you for your '04's plus postage. I always like to have spares around just in case I bend one.
Thanks for the offer Sean, but I'll just suck it up and live with the levers I have now.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by dexterq20
Super Brian: Ridemonkey's Official Protector of Newbies and Advocate of Hope Brakes

Edit: Hehehe, look at the number of posts I have.

Glad someone looks out for us. Thanks for the fix. I'll figure this damn thing out someday. Whew hoo.....Post #6!!!!