Quantcast

Stupid Question #863 - Use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I've never done this & I'm assuming it would be okay.

My bike used presta valves - my son's bike used schrader's. I'd like to just carry along one spare tube instead of two.

Thanks,

OD
Change em all to presta, lighter and easier to fill. Presta in a schrader hole works, schrader in a presta hole does not.

I got a replacement rim that was drilled for Schraeder, have been using it for years without ill results. There are little adapter bushings if you want to be fanatic, but I don't think they're necessary.

Might be an issue on high pressure road wheels, don't know.

J

=AA=

Chimp
Jan 13, 2002
Lakspur, CA
Only problem I had was when I temporarily used a presta on a schrader rim, the tube got yanked in when I grabbed the brakes locking up. Maybe I just put a little too low of an air pressure. But it works.

The only time you may have trouble is with high pressure tires. 99.9% of the time it's no problem, though.

Of course, you should change them to presta and still carry two spares, cause you just never know. (I rode in the thorn capital of the Ozarks last week) Between 6 riders we had 10 or 11 flats!
I carry 5 or 6 tubes in my HAWG and I had one left after the ride!

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks very much for your replies - this will save me some $ as I'm getting ready to restock my spares.

I guess if I use an adapter, I could run tire pressures to the upper & lower max & be okay?

Happy riding everyone.