Quantcast

Stupid question about '04 TLD Combat guards..

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
just bought some of the new 2004 Combat Guards. My question is, which pad goes on the right leg and which one goes on the left? Should the plastic strap loops be inside the leg or outside?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I'm not so sure it matters, but I've always put my plastic loops on the inside and they seem to work great!

Although, now you have me thinking that I should try 'em the other way around and see if it's even better.....:think:

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I run mine with the strap-hing on the outside of my leg. That way I don't have to worry about catching the strap on my bike while pedaling, should that happen. It also puts the straps pointing away from branches and whatnot that might try and grab them as you're riding by/through them.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
In all fairness I've only had mine for a month, I have the shorty version, and I've only worn them under my TLD Moto pants while riding my WR250. But I've been running them plastic loop/hinge out. They have the little air intake on the lower shin, and it's on the inside of my leg the way I wear them, but it makes more sense strap-wise to run them with the loop on the outside of your leg (for reasons stated above).

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I would run the standard length guards if I was wearing them MTB. I have the Dainese Viking bibs for DH use, and use the TLD guards for Moto. Actually they cover about the same shin area (the Viking comes down maybe 1.5" more), but I wasn't too worried about the coverage from the Shortys because there's about 3 inches of overlap between my moto boots (white Alpinestars Tech 8's...sooooo cool) and the shin guards. But, like I said, if I was running them for DH (maybe I will end up doing that this summer, we'll see) I would probably take the standard length.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
How do you guys tighten yours?

I have found that keeping the top strap tight tends to hurt the back part of my knees. So I now just have the bottom two tight and leave the top one pretty loose. It seems to not hurt my knees and give me more movement.

-dAn

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm on my second pair of TLD Combats. I LOVED my first pair - super durable, cordura-type material. My most recent pair ('03s?), are a little disappointing. Rips in the fabric and straps coming unstiched after the first day of riding. They both fit great though and I have big legs. Acadian, what's the construction like on the '04s? I can't tell from their website pics.