Quantcast

Stupid Shimano 11 speed question

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is your hanger bent? Have you tried taking it off and clamping it in the vice to flatten it? The amount of minor misalignment you're talking about, any bend in the hanger may not even be visible to the naked eye.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You'd have a really hard time bending the hanger on a MT. They use a breakaway screw that's actually well designed, so that's going to be the first thing to go.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Got it. No clue what it looks like, but that's usually my go to when it comes to derailleur gremlins.

Remember BGD stands for Big ___ Dan. She's basically a 220# bag of dicks, so if anyone is going to have flex issues with the back of the frame, it'll be her.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I knew Dan when he was but a wee lad. He had these beads on the spokes of his dirt jumper that would move around and rattle when he rode. clickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickity

not quite fauxhawk, but still as awesome

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A bent rear der can affect your shifting performance just as bad as a bent hanger.

Somehow I've managed to bend derailleurs and not the hanger.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Definitely not the derailleur being bent, saw it with 2 dreallierus and 1 was brand new. Potentially the hanger? But looks totally straight. I tightened the b-screw a little bit last night. Seemed to help pedaling around my street, up hills hard, and over a few bumps. I didn't have a whole lot of time, but I'll see if that fixes it on the trail. That would be weird if the shifting performance is so sensitive to such a small change. the b-tension "alignment" or whatever didn't change much and looked good before the change.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I knew Dan when he was but a wee lad. He had these beads on the spokes of his dirt jumper that would move around and rattle when he rode. clickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickityclickity

not quite fauxhawk, but still as awesome
Hacktastic did not need to know this

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Shimano literally told me to "get off and walk if you need to backpedal" when I brought up this exact issue with them.

I sincerely wish I were joking.

They have no solution for the problem, and they aren't going to come up with one. The chainline on the new 1x cranks doesn't center up with the cassette.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think the hot ticket is the sram driver with xt shifters and junk. i guess that locks you into sram cogs, but I'm not impressed with the xt solution.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a mixed drivetrain -X1 derailleur, GX shifter, X1 chain and XT M8000 11-42 cassette- and the right chainline according to SRAM. However, I'm one more of those who can't backpedal in the largest cog. It works in the second biggest one, but not in the pie plate. My mate who runs a complete SRAM setup doesn't have those problems.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've spaced my chainring in a bunch and can backpedal (enough, derails eventually). Still ahve the weird skipping thing. Tried the whole range of b-tension adjustments. No trend there. The problem seems to come and go a little bit.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Had both problems too, skipping and back pedal chain drops -> back to 11-36 10 spd, no issues nowhere to be seen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shimano literally told me to "get off and walk if you need to backpedal" when I brought up this exact issue with them.

They have no solution for the problem, and they aren't going to come up with one. The chainline on the new 1x cranks doesn't center up with the cassette.
"it's a feature"

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

"it's a feature"
Ah, these luddites, refusing the advantages of auto-shifting...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@HAB : I can't backpedal one full revolution without dropping. I don't really 'need' to aside from ratcheting through shit while climbing, but it ain't right.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I assume the issue for you guys is chainline related. I am running a One Up ring, which moves it inboard 2mm from the Shimano ring.

Edit: Sniped by Dogboy

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Y'all need a fixie.
I'm confident they would find a way to fuck up that chainline too. Someone over at Shimano needs to be raped to death by a pack of feral pigs.

I noticed my new "title" a couple days ago. No idea when it happened or who did it. But it's just as good as anything.