Quantcast

Stupid Shimano 11 speed question

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Looks like it was the hub. The split ring retaining ring thing that goes around the pawls was not in position properly. The gap/split was sitting right over one of the pawls so it was not moving properly. :(

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Looks like it was the hub. The split ring retaining ring thing that goes around the pawls was not in position properly. The gap/split was sitting right over one of the pawls so it was moving properly. :(
Good you caught that issue early. I did not (the spring in mine was a bit too short) and the freehub bearing self-destructed because of uneven load.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@HAB : I can't backpedal one full revolution without dropping. I don't really 'need' to aside from ratcheting through shit while climbing, but it ain't right.
OK now this is pissing me off :mad:
Chainline SHOULD be perfect, but technical steep climbs, up and over omgroxxors, (edit:ratcheting) and I'm still having this problem.
49mm is what I want? Jes?

Pressfit BB is installed correctly. OneUp ring on M8000 stuff.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Welcome to new Shimano "chainlines", where your once perfect chainline no matter means anything for centering up with the newer style cassettes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm still keen on the 11sp XT. My XTR setup with the 42T cog has always done that. Only since the conversion to 1x11. It doesn't really bother be because, hey, pedaling backwards means you aren't gettin' that KOM, amirite?

I just find that the 42t, Radr cage, etc... works well, but just that: well. I'd hope the new XT 11sp is more refined.

I'd probably spring for the xtr shifter. Perhaps next year.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
OK now this is pissing me off :mad:
Chainline SHOULD be perfect, but technical steep climbs, up and over omgroxxors, (edit:ratcheting) and I'm still having this problem.
49mm is what I want? Jes?

Pressfit BB is installed correctly. OneUp ring on M8000 stuff.
Sounds to me like you want a double chainring with a front derailleur and a nice 8 speed cassette.
chainline's really good when climbing in the lowest cassette sprockets and even better in the high gears on the front ring.
Best of all you don't need a stupid massive/heavy expensive cassette with loads of sprockets.
and so long as you don't use retarded gear combinations the chain never gets flappy enough to require a "special" anti-flap clutch in the rear derailleur.

but ...ooooohh... #Fashion

Dilemma isn't it?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Speaking of wide range cassettes. I was down at the local outdoor co-op and saw a nuschool cassette. The first thing that came to mind was... why is that cassette in a helmet box... I looked closer and it clicked. 10-42!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Always helpful Gary. Thanks!

I was a holdout against 1x, but since committing for a while all of my original concerns are gone except for this backpedaling issue. I know I CAN get it dialed, it just shouldn't be this difficult.

I'm going to re-measure everything later.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a 30t front with an 11-40 rear. I can't backpedal in the top three gears. The 40t is the worst, the other two I can get about half a revolution or more before it derails. It hasn't caused too many problems on the trail, but I'm not impressed with the implementation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a 30t front with an 11-40 rear. I can't backpedal in the top three gears. The 40t is the worst, the other two I can get about half a revolution or more before it derails. It hasn't caused too many problems on the trail, but I'm not impressed with the implementation.
are you running enough boost?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh... 4 of my bikes are single ring.

Fuck 11 speed though