Quantcast

Stupidity

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Member that belongs in the top 10 groups of people that need to be prohibited from reproducing:

People who put smokestacks on their pickup.

Thats right. A pickup. With smokestacks. I'm talking an older F150. With. Smoke. Stacks. Saw it sitting in traffic on the highway on the way home from work last night, wish I got a picture. Had 2 what had to be 6" smokestacks right behind the cab. Ridiculous.

Anyone else see anything recently that made them want to falcon punch a dead midget hooker?

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Anyone else see anything recently that made them want to falcon punch a dead midget hooker?
Happens every time I leave the house...

There is a new, as in 2008, Dodge mega cab here with stacks and a huge lift kit. It'll never see dirt other then what's on the shoulder of the tarmac..

I've built a few sets, but only on tow trucks...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These kinds of things are all over the place in LA. I see at least a dozen on my half hour commute to work.

It was a life size hot wheels car for some dumb rich kid

+rep to the monkey that know who said the above quote.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
There are at least two of those smokestack trucks within a half-hour of my home...one even "completed the look" with those giant fake doo-dads swinging from the trailer hitch. :rolleyes:

I think I'm gonna hafta glue down one of those 10" suction-base dildos on my Aveo's hood as an ornament just to enter the fray.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't care about the rep. I cut my teeth on Jello's lyrics.

Night of the Living Rednecks BTW

Awesome

edit: Soup is Good Food is another DK classic that is pretty relevant now.
a lot of their stuff is still relevant. today's politics vs those that DK sang about? same plot, different cast.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually they aren't a terribly bad idea if you're going to be "mudding" alot, or do alot of creek crossing. Nothing more than an exhaust pipe turned up.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I don't care about the rep. I cut my teeth on Jello's lyrics.

Night of the Living Rednecks BTW

Awesome

edit: Soup is Good Food is another DK classic that is pretty relevant now.
Sorry about your teeth.

Jello is a cvnt.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Member that belongs in the top 10 groups of people that need to be prohibited from reproducing:

People who put smokestacks on their pickup.

Thats right. A pickup. With smokestacks. I'm talking an older F150. With. Smoke. Stacks. Saw it sitting in traffic on the highway on the way home from work last night, wish I got a picture. Had 2 what had to be 6" smokestacks right behind the cab. Ridiculous.

I HATE those things. i think it is the absolute most ridiculous thing you could do to a vehicle. I see trucks in all the hick town with them and i just want to go and pour gallons of water in them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Why do you need a raised exhaust for crossing creeks?? You might need an intake snorkel, sure...but the exhaust?

That said, the smokestacks on my Conestoga Wagon really looked bling on the old O-T, yo. And I could bust a cap in a deer like no other. (Just gotta wait until it's half on one side of the screen and half on the other...)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why do you need a raised exhaust for crossing creeks?? You might need an intake snorkel, sure...but the exhaust?
I think it has something to do with the back pressure on the exhaust system (with certain engine types). If its not snorkeled it messes with the engine or something.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

What if you are going backwards through a creek really fast the accidentally shift into a high forward gear and pop the clutch?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think it has something to do with the back pressure on the exhaust system (with certain engine types). If its not snorkeled it messes with the engine or something.
Huh. Our offroad instructor told us it wasn't a problem, and we proceeded to ford lots of deep water in a clapped-out old stock Cherokee...just kept it under the intake. We even had to recover stopped vehicles from the water and never had a problem starting them up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Huh. Our offroad instructor told us it wasn't a problem, and we proceeded to ford lots of deep water in a clapped-out old stock Cherokee...just kept it under the intake. We even had to recover stopped vehicles from the water and never had a problem starting them up.
Maybe it was for diesel engines? Or I think I'm getting confused with putting exhaust tips on Honda Civics.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

The military seems to see the importance.

Stalling out in a creek and having water flush into the exhaust, where it is subsequently turned to airborne vapor, thence traveling into the engine, condensing and bending a rod when it's finally cranked over sounds plausible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
12345. Afaik smokestacks are purely cosmetic. Big rig-chic, if you will.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Did you hold your pinkie out daintily as you typed that???

(Not all--hell, not most--HMMWVs don't have a raised exhaust like that, afaik)
Lots of the ones I saw when I was in the Marines did. That's why I knew to search for the pic.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Lots of the ones I saw when I was in the Marines did. That's why I knew to search for the pic.
http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=HMMWV&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I don't recall that being the case, myself, from 98-2005... Didn't see any over the past 2 years in-country, either. Maybe it's part of a special fording kit or something--you were east coast, too, no? 29 Palms didn't have many rivers.

(If it is part of a fording kit, it would obviously point to some benefit...)

Edit: http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck2/pics.html says it's part of a fording kit. Ironically, homeboy doesn't have a snorkel...

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well I was in Hawaii most of my time, so Im assuming it'd be valuable to amphibious landings as well.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
By the way, it occured to me today that as of June 21, I've now been out of the Marines for longer than I was in :dead:

Where did the time go?